Automatically link credit card payments

Options
thaJack
thaJack Member ✭✭

Transaction 1 was downloaded from the credit card account and categorized as Credit Card Payment.

A couple of days later, Transaction 2 was downloaded from the bank (where the payment came from) and categorized as Credit Card Payment.

What does it take for these two transactions to form a linked transfer automatically once the second one downloads?

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@thaJack ,

I’m not sure in your specific case what’s going on, but I suspect that you don’t have any Recurring Series set up for your CC payments or anything - that you’re just wanting the two sides to automatically match up. Could you confirm if this is the case?

This post lays out in detail how I have my CC’s set up in Simplifi and I don’t ever have issues with the two sides not matching up or anything. Hopefully, reading over it will give you an aha moment in your specific case.

I have many more months of experience with my setup now and I’m still completely happy with it.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Great question, @thaJack!

Since Simplifi is designed to learn over time, I'd suggest manually linking the transactions via a Linked Transfer by following the steps here: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3352152-how-do-transfers-work#instructions

Hopefully this gets things moving in the right direction for you. 😄

-Coach Natalie

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

@thaJack

This may not be useful to your situation but I have gotten so that I put the first account down as Credit Card Payment and then when the other transaction comes in, I change the category in the latter transaction to the name of the first account and Simplifi connects the two!

I have a tendency to pay my credit cards from my bank's billpay so sometimes the Bank's transaction is first, but then other times, I pay from the Credit Card site so the Credit Payment is first, but it works for me to follow the above pattern. Another thing, which might be germane to my case is that I have 2 credit cards that are manual accounts, and this seems to work better.

If I do go ahead and create a linking account, I just have to watch it to make sure that Simplifi doesn't default to cleared in the manual account as it will be mark cleared in the downloaded account too, which is bad. If I mess up, I have to delete the transaction because Simplifi won't let you change a cleared transaction to uncleared. Why is that? LOL

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

This discussion has been closed.