Capital One CC Amounts - before 7/4/2023 - are Positive: green with + sign

Options
PaulBTerry
PaulBTerry Unconfirmed, Member
edited November 2023 in Adding and Updating Accounts

My Transactions for my Capital One credit card before 7/4/2023 are all positive values - making them the opposite as they should be. I believe similar to this post:

Can this be fixed?

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not saying it's not happening to you. I am sharing this because I am a capital one customer/use-it-here.

But I will share that unless this is brand new (i.e. most recent transactions) it was not happening on my CapitalOne account(s).

I recently closed (in last 60 days) 2 capital one accounts, and it wasn't happening on them.

I have a current CapitalOne BJ's card (which had a lower APR and higher limit, hence i closed the other), and it hasn't happened on this card yet (negative transactions are negative, black font). I had a charge on that card today (Samsung Care+) but it has not downloaded yet. The most recent downloaded transaction on that card was Sep. 27 and it was negative (black, not green). Payments are in green with a + sign in front of them. (negative signs aren't shown on credit cards)

Rob Wilkens

• PaulBTerry
    Options

Thanks @RobWilk.

• PaulBTerry
    Options

It appears that my Capital One transactions before July 4 or earlier are all positive - green with a + sign. Newer transactions are correct

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

On a positive note, those older transactions shouldn't affect your balance (unless they're pending).

Real tech support will be here for the day shortly and may have better answers.

Rob Wilkens

• PaulBTerry
    Options

@RobWilk true. Thanks again

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited October 2023
    Options

@PaulBTerry, thanks for reaching out!

I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing a reverse register with your Capital One account in Quicken Simplifi. To clarify, did you just add this account in Quicken Simplifi and the older transactions downloaded that way, or is this an existing account that you just realized had a problem? If the latter, we typically can't escalate transactional issues for transactions older than 90 days.

However, if you just added the account and the transactions downloaded this way, we can most likely escalate so they can fix the issue to where you'd be able to delete and re-add the account and have the transactions download correctly. Otherwise, since our team isn't able to actually go in a change the data that was already downloaded, an escalation would be more to prevent the issue from continuing to occur. And since it sounds like it's not currently occurring on any new transactions, your best bet may require a manual fix.

To manually fix the issue, I'd suggest either deleting the transactions from the beginning of the register up to when the issue ended so you have a clean slate from there, or manually correcting the transactions to be charges instead of credits.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• PaulBTerry
    Options

@Coach Natalie , I just got Simplifi and added all my accounts in the past few days. Not sure why only Capitol One transactions July 4 or older are affected. Editing all the bad transactions by hand might take a long time. If you can fix the issue, I'd be happy to delete and re-add the account. Also, when I edit transactions, I can change some fields but not the amount field.

I really appreciate your help!

Paul

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@PaulBTerry, thanks for confirming!

I just added my Capital One credit card account in a brand new Quicken Simplifi account to test this, and I only received 90 days of transactional data, which is the standard and is what I expected. I'm thinking the issue you experienced was due to receiving transactions more than 90 days old, and I'm not sure that this is something we'd be able to resolve through an escalation since it is older data that should not have been provided to begin with.

With that said, if you haven't made a whole lot of manual adjustments to the transactions that downloaded when you added this account, you might consider just deleting and re-adding it to see if you get the standard 90 days' worth of transactions and have them all be correct. I personally use the "Capital One Card Services" option for my card with them, and it's worked beautifully in both Quicken Simplifi and Quicken Classic for years.

If you'd prefer not to delete the account and start over, I'd suggest going ahead and deleting those older transactions so you have accurate data. You should be able to easily bulk delete them from the Web App by following the steps here.

Sorry for not having a better answer for you, but I hope this helps get you going in the right direction!

-Coach Natalie

• PaulBTerry
    Options

@Coach Natalie yeah, that's a pretty poor answer. All other credit cards downloaded two years worth of data. Correctly.

90 days worth of transactions load correctly other transactions loaded incorrectly and that's ok?

I can't believe that is how Quicken wants their products to work.

It's unacceptable.

Can you please escalate to a higher level of customer service?

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@PaulBTerry, as far as I'm aware, and based on my testing, Capital One only provides 90 days' worth of transactions when initially connecting to them in Quicken Simplifi. If we escalate what you're seeing, I suspect the response would be one of the following:

1. They'll determine that the transactions older than 90 days should not have been downloaded and advise that they be deleted.
    2. They'll fix the problem with those older transactions being provided, in addition to them being provided with a reversed amount, at which time you'll be able to delete and re-add the account. When doing so, transactions older than 90 days would not be downloaded and you'd only have the last 90 days of transactions from that date as opposed to the date you originally added the account, leaving you with less data.
    3. There is also the possibility that they'll advise they can't do anything with transactions older than 90 days, as we typically don't escalate cases with older transactions.

With that said, I don't think you'll end up with the older data being corrected through an escalation, which is why I suggested manual intervention; manual intervention would also provide you with an immediate solution rather than waiting for the results of an escalation, which could take just a day, but could also take a month or longer. I'm just trying to give you the best and fastest solution possible based on my experience with these types of issues. 🙂

However, I could be wrong! If you'd like us to escalate what you're seeing, I can certainly do so. We'd need the following information:

1. The name of the account the transactions reside in, as it appears in Quicken Simplifi.
    2. The Date, Payee, and Amount of 3 example transactions the issue is occurring with.
    3. A screenshot of the Transaction Detail window for each of the provided examples that shows the "Appears on your statement as…" info (this is easiest to obtain from the Web App).
    4. A screenshot of the same example transactions from the bank's website showing that they're charges and not credits.
    5. Confirm whether the issue is impacting the balance for the account in Quicken Simplifi.

If you prefer to share any of this info privately, you can send it to me via a DM here in the Community. Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.