Please create a native iPad App (7 Merged Votes)

Options
13»

Comments

• khad
    khad Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

What that person wrote is demonstrably untrue. I use Simplifi in Safari on my iPad all the time.

Additionally, the rendering engine in every browser on iPhone and iPad is the same. Apple doesn’t allow developers to use their own rendering engine. So unless there is a specific bug in only Safari, whatever problem you see in Safari will exist in Chrome, Firefox, or any other browser on iPhone or iPad. This is in contrast to a Mac or PC where browsers do have different rendering engines. Apple has no control there. But they all use WebKit on iPhone and iPad.

• Secure_User
    Secure_User Member ✭✭
    Options

I also successfully use Simplifi on my iPad regularly and it works great. The app upscales which isn’t the greatest, but the web app works wonderfully as does using a browser. It would be nice if we had a native iPad app also but what exists now works okay.

• lindsayla18
    Options

Interesting that you are having success using your iPad. I can get by with the iOS app but cannot use Simplifi with a browser at all. Can you clarify what you mean by, "the web app works wonderfully as does using a browser" ? It sounds like you are describing two different methods and if so, I'd like to know more about each so I can try both. Thanks.

• JWV
    JWV Member ✭✭
    Options

I’m finding that the Microsoft Edge browser works on the iPad. Not Safari or Chrome.

• lindsayla18
    Options

Thank you. I tried Microsoft Edge yesterday but ultimately ran into the same issue I've experienced with Chrome and Safari: constant screen refreshes. An earlier post in this thread described the browser as working okay on initial use but not on subsequent sessions. That is what happened to me with Edge.

• JWV
    JWV Member ✭✭
    Options

I have an iPad Pro. I have found that EDGE browser works fine for me. No Safari and Chrome however. Like @lindsayla18 I have years data too.

• Secure_User
    Secure_User Member ✭✭
    Options

I am able to successfully log on to Simplifi via safari without issue. I also have the iPhone app that scales up for iPad. One the best ways to access Simplifi though is with the web app. Here is a link with some instructions about adding a web app to your Home Screen; https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/use-web-apps-iphone-ipad/

• lindsayla18
    Options

@Secure_User thank you for the explainer on web apps. I didn't realize a web app was different from a bookmark/shortcut.

I followed the instructions in the article to create a web app from Chrome. It's working well and is much better than using the iOS app (which is not optimized for the iPad). I really appreciate your help!

Here are the instructions, if anyone else would like to try this:

How to Add a Web App to Your Home Screen

1. Open Safari on your iPhone or iPad.
    2. Navigate to the website that offers a WPA/web app (many are listed here).
    3. Tap the Action button (often called the Share button).
    4. Scroll down the share sheet past the rows of contacts and apps, then select Add to Home Screen.
    5. Give the web app a name, then tap Add.

• JonS
    Options

Will love to see a new version of Simplifi designed to run on IPAD. With so much information to view and navigate, it’s really not an ideal app to run on a tiny mobil device.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

This request already exists. Vote for it.

[removed link to merged thread]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• jorder
    jorder Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just adding my voice to the refresh bug - this appeared for me in November I think around one of the iPadOS updates that came out then. Likely broke something. I’ve tried everything, different browsers, content blockers disabled/enabled, cross-site tracking on/off, etc. I essentially can’t use Simplifi right now. And yes, I voted for an iPad app when Simplifi was still in beta. I’m amazed how this is the number one request since the beta from a few years ago, and it is still given zero priority by the product team. Even before the refresh bug, it was only usable on an iPad if one had enough patience to wait around 5 second each time you touched the screen (iPad Pro here). Try that with 60 accounts. Just venting….

• lindsayla18
    Options

@jorder as a workaround, have you tried creating a web app for your home screen? This was recommended by @Secure_User and worked for me. See my post a few messages up, with instructions "How to Add a Web App to Your Home Screen".

I totally agree there should be a native iPad app and don't know why this request has been ignored for so long.

• jorder
    jorder Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks and yes, I have tried creating a web app in safari and chrome and the problems prevails - no difference whatsoever.

• Goldy
    Options

I'm with you jorder! Just don't understand the delay / reluctance on addressing this. From the very very old posts requesting this its gone on for quite some time. Based on this have doubt it'll change soon. Unfortunate. Have put a bunch of time getting acquainted with Simplifi & downloading Mint transactions (and just fed up with the constant screen refreshes in Chrome, Edge, Safari, & Firefox).

It has great potential to do what I need, but without iPad support it is of too limited use for me.

Anticipate I'll "vote" with my wallet, bow out of the trial & go down the road to an alternative that does work with an iPad.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Android tablet app works great, except that it's locked into Portrait mode (can't rotate screen). On the iPad, it's basically a magnified Android phone app. I personally don't use either tablet very much — when i want a bigger screen, my macbook is more convenient, and when I want something portable, I use my phone.

Rob Wilkens

• Blackbird
    Blackbird Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello and happy new year to all! My experience with the screen refresh issue on my iPad Pro is that it is related to the number of years of data history you are showing (check your transaction settings). I have data from 2012 and if I enable to sho all these years then I get the constant screen refresh bug. On the other hand, if I change the setting to only show 3 years of data, then the issue completely goes away. I think this may be one of the reasons they recently changed the default to show only a few years back. I found this to be true in both Safari and Chrome, by the way.

• Goldy
    Goldy Member
    Options

Blackbird, thanks so much! I think you may have gotten this fixed. Playing with this now & it is working (at least in Safari) w/o the screen refreshing! Great work!

• jorder
    jorder Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2
    Options

Amazing! Blackbird, this is working so far! No refreshes in the last 10 minutes. So Simplifi just can’t handle large databases - at least not on iPadOS or iOS. I can finally use the service again. Thank you, thank you, thank you for resolving this and happy new year!

• Blackbird
    Blackbird Member ✭✭
    Options

You are welcome. I discovered this yesterday as I the web app was running smoothly for a few weeks and suddenly, as I changed the data settings to see all my old data, the screen refreshes started to happen after every transaction change. Then, it occurred to me that this must be the reason and also why the system became stable when Simplifi changed a few weeks ago the default to show only a few years of back data.

• SKcomments
    Options

Based on the programming done for the existing iPhone App, my understanding that porting to iPadOS is relatively straightforward. Considering Simplifi is a subscription service, there is no excuse for not implementing soon.