Welcome Mint Users!

Options

Comments

• jmartin132
    Options

1 - Simplifimoney does not have assess to large retirement plans. Mint has many more retirement plans. Specifically, MyFRS (www.myfrs.com managed by Alight Solutions - alight.com). I am told Simplifimoney is trying to add but it is taking way too long.

2 - Mint automatically updates real estate and vehicle values. Simplifimoney does not.

Very disappointing that a free service, Mint is more robust than Simplimoney that costs me $48 a year.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It might be worth remembering that Mint failed, despite (or perhaps because of) being free.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• FutureEye
    FutureEye Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi All,

One month review - All my accounts are working but there are few things bothering me

1. Customer support is weak and a bit rude. The only reason I stayed is because of this community and the progress and communication I get here from people like @Coach Natalie. She has huge shoes to fill. She needs some more support from the rest of the team and some speed around open item closure.
    2. The developers not providing product map. No fast commmunication and huge feature request backlog.
    3. Lack of net worth migration not coming for mint users.

Please think thru :-(

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is a feature I like in Simplifi. The ability to hover on the i icon next to balance with pending and see the sum of all pending transactions.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• leisterbrau
    Options

would love to see the ability to import past investment data to show net worth history and better able to calculate investment performance…might end up using empower for investment tracking.

• ayacalypso
    Options

I am struggling to get all of my accounts connected even though I am entering the text codes sent to my phone.
    It's tedious to retag all of my transactions so that I can track my spending and earnings over the years. I had been with Mint since 2014 so that is a lot of history that has been lost.
    I'm having a hard time getting used to the different interface. For example, I can't spot discrepancies in my transactions as easily as I did with Mint, and I can't seem to even find something like their monthly budgeting option.

• ayacalypso
    Options

Oh and I though that there would be an easy way to import my Mint data file, but the instructions for how to do it are not very clear at all. They say that all of my accounts need to be manually added first, but I have already added them all automatically. Do I need to delete those and re-add them all manually? Do manual accounts automatically update with transactions or do those all need to be entered manually going forward?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I imported only two years of history by connecting the accounts first and then backfilling the history with the Mint transactions from 2022 and 2023. No need to delete the accounts and start over @ayacalypso

Minter 2014-2023

• DalMuTi
    DalMuTi Member
    Options

I like almost everything but here's some feedback.

1. Missing my budget from mint. This works, but I had spending limit categories that I haven't figured out how to recreate. I do see my overall spending in each of those categories, but not what I had set as an "alert"
    2. My mortgage doesn't work Roundpointmortgage.com
    3. Because I signed up too soon, I don't get the 1 year free trial

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@DalMuTi

• I see in other threads that the issue is reported.
    • Send a message to support via the web or mobile app. Ask for the free 1-year trial and they will work with you. I asked for it and received it even though I started Simplifi in mid November.

Minter 2014-2023

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jmartin132

🤣 Mint wasn't free! Whoever owned Mint at any given time was in it to make a profit and in the case of Mint did so by selling ad space on your Mint account pages and selling your personal info in the information market. I get such a kick about people using "free" for anything in the marketplace. I have no idea if you or any other Mint user ever bought any of the products that were advertised, but to the extent that you did part of your purchase price went to Mint and thus you were paying again for your "free" Mint account.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Absolutely true @DannyB - when you are not charged, you are the product (the information is). I used Mint as it was recommended to me in a debt counseling course. I went through challenging times and Mint helped me get back on my feet.

I miss Mint but find Simplifi superior in some ways including the spending plan incorporating my recurring expenses automatically and the projected cash flow feature with upcoming bills and transfers. Auto categorization works well too. Miss some Mint features, including the prior year comparison in trends and the ability to export report sources (totals used in charts in addition to underlying transactions). I voted for the applicable feature requests already.

Minter 2014-2023

• Matt Anfang
    Matt Anfang Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I didn't use manual accounts and since my bank has changed owners like 3 times since I started Mint in 2013, I just liked all bank transactions to my current bank and imported all old transactions so I kept my history. The format needed to be perfect or else it would error out. That took me a while to figure it out. But I have all of the data. Now…. if only I could get the net worth balances imported from Mint.com like what Monarch has.

• DeloskyGA
    Options

An almost decade Mint user here providing my feedback after about a week on Simplifi…

1. First of all, kudos to all the Coaches! You guys rock and are above and beyond better than Mint support ever was. You're taking this barrage of questions and feedback from us old mint users with open minds and a desire to help. Thanks!
    2. My Pros of Simplifi over Mint:
      1. Interface is way better. Yes, Mint was "free", but not really which is why you were bombarded with ads all day on every screen. I had been using it so long, I decided to just deal with it when they came out with the paid version because I didn't want to have a subscription fee. I'll have to consider this when my free trial ends.
      2. Recurring Billing/Subscriptions. This works way better than Mint's ever did, and I like that you can attach previous transactions to existing recurring items (see Cons below as well).
      3. Investments data is actually useful. As part of my overall money management, tracking my investments in a single pane of glass along with my finances is important. This was pretty much non-existent in Mint. Seems to work really well and provide useful information but I haven't played a ton with it yet.
    3. My Cons of Simplifi compared to Mint:
      1. Splitting transactions is by far the biggest issue for me. Not just the "separate transaction" ask from others. My biggest complaint is that splitting becomes extremely cumbersome and almost unattainable when you have both income and expenses within the parent transaction. For example, when you go to the store and purchase things (expenses), but that purchase might also include the redemption of Rewards Cash (income). The system continuously recalculates, and you can't just put negative or positive numbers in (due to being tied to the Category of Expense or Income).
      2. Categories can only ever be an Expense or Income. Similar to above. In Mint, you just had categories. If you returned something, there's just an income for the category. This seems to work okay when it is a single purchase. Does not work well when part of a Split (see above).
      3. Linking transactions to Recurring Billing. You can't seem to link existing transactions past 30 days. For example, I setup a new Recurring Bill for Comcast. I then wanted to add all of my Comcast payments from the last 13 months to it, but you cannot see any Comcast payments in the Search from the Bill. And when you do this from the register, you can only do it one at a time. Would be nice if you could either see more payments from the Recurring Bill itself to link them, or link them from the transactions in a bulk fashion.
      4. Linking of accounts behind MFA doesn't really work. I have yet to link a billing provider that is behind an MFA protected account. This worked with most of my banking institutions, but they provide the aggregators that seems to make this work. Of my 15+ billers, I've only been able to get 1 of them to work and it doesn't have MFA enabled.

I have not used the Spending Plan yet but once I get my information setup, I plan to play around with this also. I ultimately decided NOT to import my old Mint data. The cleanliness of my Categories and Payees and Budgeting was more important that the historical tracking of my data. In the end, I won't get the 12 month free trial, but I think my experience going forward will be better and I'm nervous about the importing process and the possibility of creating duplicate transactions that I'd just have to spend time cleaning up.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@DeloskyGA - I imported only data from 2022 and 2023 into Simplifi. I wanted to compare this year to last year and was able to match income and expenses to the penny for 23 months. I have Mint history since 2014. Anything before 2022 is in a spreadsheet.

I am exporting new Simplifi data into my spreadsheet monthly to update some historical charts and pivot tables I set up. This configuration is working well for me, only importing a subset of the data worked well.

Minter 2014-2023

• jim_t
    jim_t Member
    Options

I am switching from Mint to Simplifi and for the most part, it has a lot of the same features. It might be that I overlooked how to do this, but I do not see where it will show me the Minimum Due and Due Date for my bills. I connected my billers and it is confusing to try to find this information on the Dashboard. I love that I can see my Net Worth and a breakdown of all transactions from a particular biller. It is definitely a great tool for monitoring my credit card debt.

Are there any videos on how to use the product? I would like to see the most common features and how to get the most out of Simplifi.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

For the credit card minimum due and due date, there is an open feature request.

The dashboard shows bills and payments coming up regardless of biller and you can click on the tile to see more detail on the web app.

For videos, here is the YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/%40Quicken - updated as the prior channel moved with rebranding.

Minter 2014-2023

• chiphum
    chiphum Member
    Options

I wish I could import my net worth data I exported from Mint into my Simplifi account. I also have the data back to 2008!

• Ponderosa
    Ponderosa Member
    edited January 1
    Options

In the few weeks I’ve used Simplifi (I’ve used Mint since 2010 and Microsoft Money before that), a feature I very much need is the “rollover leftover amount” function for planned spending. I budget with line item “sinking funds.” Yes, I’ve read the options for spending goals or manually adding income. None of these suggestions is a suitable replacement for the ability to rollover planned line items from month to month. I hope Simplifi will add this functionality soon (the help bot directed me to an article saying this is in progress). Thank you!

I second the comments about the iPad/app interface and functionality, but have found logging in through the website to be a suitable alternative.

I have appreciated the ease of marking any recurring spending and the way recurring income and spending function in the planned spending tool. For me, this has been an improvement over Mint. I would like the option to see a pie chart of my actual spending on the dashboard instead of the spending plan. (Simplifi erroneously marks the spending plan as overspent due to the lack of rollover budgeting features).

I chose not to import data from Mint because I didn’t want to hassle with all the manual corrections. Through inituit’s data privacy options, I do have my entire Mint history in a zip file that could be a database import if ever required in future.

• Hairpin
    Options

I'm not happy with Simplify and wanted to try the fuller-featured Quicken. But with a yearly billing option only available, I'm not signing up for any services. I need time to test out an application before paying for a year… Why is yearly billing the only option? I'm looking elsewhere.

• Fusionpro
    Fusionpro Member
    Options

Looking for help on how to convert our household's mindset on rollover accounts to something Simplifi supports today.

Today we use rolling amounts for "Fun Budgets" and "Home Maintenance" as they are variable expenses that accrue and then are spent in future months.

I've tried using Tags & Goals but found not being connected to transactions unsustainable (no audit history for goal contributing…)

I've most recently tried using Categories and Spending Plans, but this results in some crazy looking spending plans because we "might" spend more than our income that month as we released funds from a previous month.

Just struggling to understand how this use-case is handled in Simplifi…

• Dmatlin
    Options

the import from Mint is complete garbage. All I can say is it did import transactions and because it imported transactions the free trial period was extended to a year.

Other than that it was completely worthless. Maybe even worse than worthless. The import messed up merchant names and categories. It created double entries. As I scroll down the list I see error after error. Categories changed in error, merchant names mangled, edits from Mint ignored, duplicate entries….It's almost harder to find an entry that imported correctly than it is to find a mistake.

I think I'd be better off without any history at all rather than the incorrect garbage I have now. Is there any way to undo it?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Minter 2014-2023

• DeloskyGA
    DeloskyGA Member
    Options

10+ year Mint user here so I have a lot of history and experience with the service. I have a few initial thoughts on Simplifi:

1. Customer support is WAY better. @Coach Natalie and team - YOU ROCK! You jump right in, field all sorts of questions from us, and keep smiling and trying to help the entire time. Also your feedback and forums are much more active (and way less negative than Mint). Thank you.
    2. I haven't tried to import my Mint data and I'm really very nervous about it. I decided that Clean Categories and Payees and such was more important to me that transactional history dating back year. I don't really need it for my personal finance so 13 months of historical data is fine for me and I have my original Mint exports available should I ever need them.
    3. Overall the Simplifi site is way better than Mint's. They had too many adds (it was free of course). I haven't had a chance to dive into budgeting or investing yet, but from what I can tell, you are actively working on gathering customer feedback and enhancing on a regular basis.
    4. So far here is the one negative I have (just from a transactions perspective). Splitting Transactions and Categorization is a REALLY BAD experience. This process was WAY SIMPLER with Mint. If it was a deduction from your balance, all you had to do was put in positive numbers for expenses and negative numbers for income/refunds and vice versa. There was no hard coding of a category based on Income or Expense. Because the way Simplifi does it, the process to split transactions that have both income and expenses is convoluted, difficult and outright impossible to get it done. I basically have multiple transactions flagged for follow up because I just don't know what to do with them. If you get this fixed, I'm no doubt a Simplifier for life.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Re: #3a - The coaches have posted (somewhere, recently) that splits are being redesigned, though I don't know if they made it clear what to expect. Supposedly these update will address a lot of the common concerns, possibly including yours.

Rob Wilkens

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think its a poor substitute, but I am managing this via Watchlists.

So lets say I want money set aside for Dining Out ($200/month) and for Home Improvements. ($6000/yr). These are the kinds of things that can fluctuate a lot month to month. So I make a watchlist for each of these categories. This shows me the current month spending, the year to date spending, and the rolling 12 month average. I can use those to guide me as to whether I should cut back this month, or if I am free to spend more.

Its less precise than "I overspent by $27 last month and therefore can spend $173 this month", but it serves the same purpose. I personally dont need this to be down to the penny, but I'm sure some would.

• Fusionpro
    Fusionpro Member
    Options

Thanks Wedo ~ I've done the same thing alongside the spending plan now - should be a helpful addition to see aggregate reporting.

If Savings Goals could tie back to individual transactions automatically (Gains & Losses) it would be helpful, but every workaround I can think of comes with big asterisks. I was surprised I had to manually manage the Goals.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with the savings goals being manual and cumbersome. I do not use them.

Some feature requests will address the connecting savings goals to transactions. Vote for them. I voted in favor of these.

Minter 2014-2023

• wgn_luv
    wgn_luv Member ✭✭
    Options

One of the main uses I had for Mint was seeing all my CC bills and their due dates in one place and making sure I'll have those amounts available in my checking account on those dates.

I was so excited to see the Cash Flow feature in Simplifi before I signed up coz I assumed it'll take my CC bills into account. You can imagine my disappointment after I signed up and I realized Simplifi doesn't have any clue about my CC bills and due dates. Hey Simplifi team, if you're reading this, please pull the statement balance and due date info from our CC accounts like Mint did and integrate it with the Cash Flow feature. You'll have a lifetime subscriber if you do that!