Welcome Mint Users!

Options
Coach Natalie
Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
edited March 18 in Feedback

Are you trying out or transitioning to Quicken Simplifi from Mint? We'd love to hear your feedback about the transition, as well as what you think of Quicken Simplifi! For example, how was the process for importing your transactions? What do you like most about Quicken Simplifi? What do you like least about Quicken Simplifi? And what are the most important features you're looking for in the solution you choose to manage your personal finances?

Please let us know by commenting below!

Comments

• lindsayla18
    Options

Seconding the requirement for iPad support, ideally an app optimized for the iPad.

Browser access should also work, and as of today Simplifi is slow on my Mac and unusable on an iPad browser; I have tried both Chrome and Safari. On the iPad, even the most basic action like scrolling down the list of transactions in one account, causes Simplifi to hang and then crash. This occurs in both Safari and Chrome. I have reported this in the thread shown below and included screen shots.

• michfromflorida
    Options

Another Mint refugee here. It's been 2 weeks.

1. Migration from Mint was pretty easy though some categories didn't line up so I had some transactions to edit so my year-to-date numbers were accurate.
    2. I really like Watchlists.
    3. I'm using Savings Goals for my Sinking Funds - I have Occasional (things we spend money on but maybe not every month such as hobbies, home improvement, service & parts); Medical, Expected (annual things like homeowner's insurance and items that renew annually like Prime, Instacart and Microsoft; Travel, Long Range. I like how Simplifi shows that funds have been allocated to savings goals.
    4. Ideally, Connect to Biller works for credit cards, especially the major providers like Chase, Synchrony, Citi.
    5. I'd like the ability to be able to save Reports for the things I look at most. I do a lot of YTD views for example, not monthly (or add the ability to choose another time period as a default.
    6. Here's another vote for the ability to rollover amounts
    7. I like the renaming rules
    8. Account view to show last update
    9. Standardize the way Pending is used. For example, one credit card shows the up-to-the-minute balance in the Dashboard but recent expenses haven't downloaded to support the balance.
    10. The ability to link a transaction to a Savings goal withdrawal
    11. Support for iPad on the mobile app

• CatBot
    CatBot Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm feeling pretty good about Simplifi after going through an emotional and data migration journey from Mint (I joined Mint in 2008 but have used desktop Quicken products for work/volunteering as well over the years). I'm now feeling pretty darn good about Simplifi and I'm hoping that there will continue to be some development in the functionality and User Interface (UI) of Simplifi.

My data migration was a lot of work: Simplifi was slow when editing categories/tags/notes from Transactions page on desktop and I forgot about a bunch of closed accounts (and I did leave a few behind). That being said, other members of my household and social circle all recommended using this transition as a opportunity to start fresh.

Things I love:

1. No ads! Totally worth paying for — I probably should have left Mint years ago, but inertia is a powerful thing
    2. Some of the richer functionality around transactions. I think similar to other Quicken products. I'm looking forward to attaching documents to key transactions (although I can only imagine the migration pain in another 15 years…)
    3. Watchlists are great
    4. Bill tracking is great now that I've gotten it started (still have more to add) and hid the credit card bills from Spending Plan
    5. Awesome support!

Things I'm learning about:

1. Spending Plans and Savings Goals. I'm still wrapping my head around how I might use these with more nuance, but I've set up a first pass. I'm also curious how I'll feel about Spending Plans over time since I just joined and they are only go-forward
    2. Investments functionality

Functionality/UI that I hope will keep evolving (I'm trying to comment on the relevant functionality request threads as well):

1. Speed: now that I'm done categorizing all (ha, well some) of my transactions back to 2008, for me, it's the editing of tags on the Transactions page and Transactions search (I think it's search with each character inputted) that are the slowest
    2. Watchlist: visual clues of how far under or over I am the target, and adding a derived YTD target to the "Year to Date" actuals. There might be some general rearrangement of info on those cards
    3. Reports: comparison lines in Reports (to both other timeframes and ideally my own Spending Plans and/or Watchlists)
    4. Spending Plan: Annual or other time frame views of Spending Plan
    5. Different layouts: A table view for Watchlists and Spending Plan→Planned Spending cards. Ability to custom order the cards

A huge thank you to the Simplifi team for helping on-board and welcome all us former Minters. In classic corporate fashion, I like to imagine all of you happily working away and then one morning discovering via the (news/social) media that Mint is shutting down and Simplifi is now the recommended financial tracking software from the New York Times. And just in times for the holidays! Anyway, thank you for welcoming us!

• CH1
    Options

Been using Mint for 5 years. Recently switched to Simplifi but having some issues with missing transactions due to using Discover bank and Discover credit card. Looks like this is a known issue with no ETA for a fix. Just wondering what other users do to remedy this? I like a lot of the Simplifi features so far so would like to get this resolved.

• Dizzybro
    Dizzybro Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

I was going to transition my parents over to Simplifi, but unlike Mint they are unable to add their Canadian bank accounts like CIBC, which is a dealbreaker for them.

I dont recall if it does this, but when importing from mint it should create categories that dont exist in simplifi, but do exist in your csv export.

For some reason, all my investment accounts claimed to be down -50% on the day i added them to Simplifi, instead of starting off at 0%. So my 30 day history has been very skewed.

The transaction UI's live search feature is a bit slow

Rules need to be greatly improved. You can have subscriptions under "Apple" for example. You need to allow rules that say "Apple" and $20.61 can be automatically renamed to "Youtube Premium"

• brokenchord
    Options

I used Mint for over 10 years to monitor and categorize transactions and to keep track of trends to help me estimate spending for retirement in the future. Simplifi is the first alternative that I am trying out.

1. My transition went ok but could have been better. I had trouble connecting one of my credit card accounts connecting but it worked after a few days. The Mint tags and notes for older transactions were imported but it did not update the newer transactions that were created when I added the accounts. I only imported the last five years of transactions since that is all that the Reports function supports. I may import older transactions at a later time but figured it would just slow things down.
    2. I don't understand why there is no filter for date range on the Transactions page on the web version (there is some capability on mobile app but I primarily use the web). I often need look for a specific transaction and like to sort by another column but it would be much easier if I did not have to scroll through many years of data.
    3. I miss some of the Trends capabilities in Mint to see spending for the year or last 12 months and compare them to the previous year. My spending varies from month to month because of quarterly, semiannnual, and annual bills , so comparing this months spending to last month is not useful for me. Mint showed a nice bar graphic and table with monthly averages to see how spending compared.
    4. I pay most bills and subscriptions with credit cards so the upcoming bills widget is not very useful to me. I would rather see when the credit card bill is due so that I can make sure I have enough to cover it in my bank account.
    5. I was glad to see that I could move the Achievements, Savings Plan, Budgeting, and Investment widgets to the bottom of the dashboard since I don't need them. It would be nice to be able to hide them though.
    6. My accounts have been updating quickly so far. I assume when the Refresh icon stops spinning, every account has updated successfully. Mint showed how recently the account updated in seconds/minutes/hours/days which was kind of nice so you knew why certain transactions were missing.
    7. Overall, I like the Simplifi interface and the connectivity and category rules have been working well for me so far.

• Tom B
    Tom B Member
    Options

Buyer Beware ! The lack of comparison features like Mint has (Trends) and the performance issues after trying to port historical data from Mint are major disappointments.

• kopernykus
    Options

I'm definitely enjoying Simplifi more so than Mint, having used mint for years now.

With the way I used Mint, there's not much I am missing when using Simplifi, although I would GREATLY benefit from viewing my credit card balances in an order from least to greatest or vise versa… this help me quickly identify the lowest balances that I can plan to pay in full first. this was possible in Mint, although only through their mobile app for some reason.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@kopernykus You may want to vote for this idea, which if adopted would allow you to arrange the accounts however you would like (group differently, order differently), to do that go to page 1 of below and vote with the up arrow (it will grey out after selection) in the yellow background section on the top:

Rob Wilkens

• aromboli
    Options

I lost all my net worth reporting! I worked on it for years and now it is all gone And I also miss the budget feature, need to get used to Watchlist in Quicken.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@aromboli Do you have your old transactions imported and can't see the old net worth?

If so, you may want to vote for this idea (which i originated), which would start net worth tracking at the oldest transaction rather than the account creation date:

p.s. Yes, I'm trying to get votes for this.

Rob Wilkens

• jeanmarie11
    Options

There's a lot to like here, and I really wanted Simplifi to be the end of my search for a Mint replacement, but I'm not sure it is for a couple of reasons. First is that the web interface has some issues, at least on my Mac and on my iPad. First is the scrolling issue, which I know has been reported before (where you can't scroll all the way to the bottom of a page). I have this same problem on my Mac and since all action buttons are on the bottom of the screen, it makes them unusable. Sometimes I can see the very top of the button and can click it but I actually have no idea what I'm clicking since I can't see the label so it's not the best option. There are other issues on the iPad, particularly around the navigation panel on the left - sometimes I get a full list with text labels, sometimes not. Sometimes I get the button to minimize the account window, sometimes not. It's frustrating.

I'm getting used to the spending plan but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet - I think I would prefer to just have a straight budget rather than some things being budgeted in one place and some in another. I like the ability to track subscriptions though.

One of the biggest downsides for me is lack of integration for Apple Card. I use my Apple Card for everything, and having to either manually enter the transactions or wait until the end of the month to import them may end up being the deal breaker for me.

As others have said, I would really like functionality to either roll over a budget or even budget seasonally (like for heating oil or lawn maintenance). If everything else was comparable then that probably wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but it is kind of a pain.

• Hairpin
    Hairpin Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Generally, it's pretty good. I like the dark mode. Wish there was darkmode in the mobile app.

I am not very happy with the spending plan layout. I'd like to have a straight budget so I know what I'm actually spending in categories. Maybe I should remove bills and subscriptions to make my own planned spending categories. It seems like a workaround that would be ok for most users if they have a preference. Or maybe the intro to this area here needs to be more clear for people coming from a source where they do a full budget, not a free-spending after billing budget.

I like the reports area. I feel like watchlist and reports area together might function better than the trends area in Mint.

I'd like it if there was a good investment/retirement goal feature like in Personal Capital. I feel like the investment area there could be improved upon - not that happy with Personal Capital either.

• Sergey P
    Options

I switched to Simplifi after using Mint for the last 10 years. Overall, I am enjoying the product, particularly the spending plan, watchlists, and investment features on the mobile app.

However, despite my satisfaction with Simplifi, I do miss a few things from Mint:

• The ability to track asset prices using Zillow or KBB.
    • Retirement goals that link to investment accounts and projections based on specific returns.
    • Reminders for upcoming credit card payments.

• rowshkex
    rowshkex Member
    Options

I have about 15 years of Mint experience, and while I love the interface overall (simple is better), there are a few things that I desperately want and will be looking for when I make a final decision on which app/subscription to use. I am currently down to Monarch and Simplifi as many others are, but in order for Simplifi to be the one that I stick with, it needs a few things:

1. This is the major dealbreaker for me: if I can't see my historical trends like I could in Mint, I won't use it. Monarch currently does this to some degree, and Simplifi doesn't at all.
    2. In the next month the developers and programs should take a deep look at the Trends page in Mint and take as much from that as possible. Specifically, let me break down the trends by day, month, year, and last 6 months and last 12 months; let me break down all of those trends for spending, income, and net worth, and let me break down EACH OF THOSE by account AND let me create a custom report to specify which accounts to display in the trend (i.e. for spending, let me break down trends by each credit card OR a combination of credit cards daily for the past 30 days, monthly for the past 6 or 12 months, or yearly, etc.). I would guess a lot of Mint users would permanently stick with a product that does #1 and #2 together.

That being said, I know it's simple, but I am REALLY loving the ability to mark transactions as reviewed—I never had a good solution for this and could never remember if I had categorized something myself or Mint did it for me. To this day, 15 years in, I still find transactions that are mis-categorized in Mint!

I'm almost ready to stick with Simplifi, but it needs #1 and #2 above first.

• the_scottster
    the_scottster Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Moving to Simplifi from Mint has mostly been problem free for me. Thanks to the team for their hard work!

I had an issue when setting up Simplifi where transfers were recorded as Loan Payments. This was not Simplifi's fault; it is an artifact of the transaction download capabilities of different banks, where some give you more history than others.

I discussed this here:

Long time Mint user jumping into Simplifi-world!

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@rowshkex Could you be more specific about what it is you want to see with historical trends that Simplifi does not do? I don't know Mint, so I'm unclear what information it's showing you that you'd like to see replicated in Simplifi.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Marvi605
    Options

Switching from Mint, I would say this was the only platform that I had the ability to get all (minus one) account connected - all the others had multiple account issues. However - debt payoff appears to be completely overlooked here - there's no tracking of balances graphically. This could easily be done as underwritten graph on the net worth graph. I would like to pull up loan accounts and see graphically their balance over time. I'm subject to creating this on Excel - extremely frustrated given this is a paid service.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Marvi605 Simplifi is, first and foremost, a budgeting tool, which is subtley different than a financial planning tool. I doubt that debt payoff was overlooked - it's just beyond the (current) scope of its intended abilities.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye