Spending plan: improvements to progress against spending plan

Options
mmarie610
mmarie610 Member
edited December 2023 in Using the Spending Plan

A few suggestions, borrowed from mint:

• Some indicator on each spending category to show how far it is into the month, so that we can see visually ahead or behind budget. I’d want to see if my spend in a category is on pace. For example, on Nov 26, we’re 87% of the way through the month, and if my grocery budget is less than 87%, I’m on pace, if it’s above then I should adjust.
  • Summary of the planned spending overall, the dollar amount remaining across all categories. This would be helpful to get a higher level view of whether I’m on pace overall.
  • Ability to sort spending category by highest to lowest. I’ve gotten around this by naming some of the categories alphabetically. But I want to see the highest planned spending categories up top, see how I’m doing against the largest share of planned spend.

Tagged:

Comments

• i_miss_mint
    Options

I absolutely agree with you. We need the "Budgets" feature in Mint to be implemented in Simplifi

For the previous month October, the "Budgets" feature should update the Income and Spending to reflect the actual Income earned and Spending spent in order to calculate the correct leftover amount for the previous month.

For the current month of November, the "Budgets" feature should show something like below.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

These are great suggestions @mmarie610! Gets my vote.

You can sort of achieve some of the things you want through watchlists, but those are notoriously misleading. Namely, "Spent so far" includes transactions that haven't been spent yet, but are planned to be in your Spending Plan. Plus, the Projected value is some sort of pro-rated value determine by the current day of the month, how much you've spent on this particular watchlist, calculating out what that averages out to per day, and then assuming that's what you're going to spend every day for the rest of the month (I think that's clost to how it works - I'm not sure it's ever been officially explained).

But I too would like to see information like this. It would be much more useful on the Dashboard than a list of achievement badges I've earned, for example.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@mmarie610, thanks for sharing your suggestions with the Community!

I went ahead and moved this out of Feature Requests for a couple of reasons — first, some of the items you mentioned already have existing requests, so you'd want to add your vote and feedback there instead. Second, you want to outline just one item per request so users can vote on that individual item accordingly.

Here is an existing request for the ability to see what's been spent versus what's left in the Spending Plan. I'd suggest adding your percentages idea here as a way to accomplish this, and it sounds like your second bullet point may be covered here as well:

Here is an existing request for the ability to sort or rearrange Spending Plan items:

For any other requests, please create a separate Idea post in accordance with our guidelines here:

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.