Add the ability to hide *ANY* account

Options
RobWilk
RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2023 in Feature Requests

Hiding closed accounts, which is now there, is terrific. It gives me what I need right now.

However, some people have requested the ability to hide -any- account, so I created this idea post to collect votes. I think this might be under Settings→Accounts, and there would be a menu setting on each account to hide an account (maybe checked/unchecked). For hidden accounts, I might like the option to pull up the account registers from settings→accounts.

Rob Wilkens

50 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• spyderdan
    spyderdan Member ✭✭
    Options

Agreed. I would also like the ability to hide certain open accounts that I want to keep in the system, but don't wish to see them cluttering up my sidebar.

I have various store cards (Home Depot, Best Buy, etc) that I keep open just in case I want to take advantage of promotions they run for card holders at times, but generally speaking these account are basically unused. I can unhide them if they come back into use and that would be fine.

I would also be ok with the option to simply "Hide accounts with zero balance" to achieve my same goal

• Flynn1982
    Options

100% - Upvoted…

• Philk
    Philk Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I agree that hiding certain accounts would be helpful to give focus to those that are most used and important. I submitted feedback to create a favorites group, which could highlight at the top of the list the accounts of most importance.

If you are familiar with Microsoft Outlook, they use a favorite at the top, see attached. I have multiple email accounts and want to see the inbox at the top for each so I don't have to scroll through all the clutter of folders etc.

Same problem exist in Simplifi …accounts grouped by type, mixed with accounts that are seldom used but want to monitor or otherwise keep.

I hope my example here resonates with the intention of those who want hide accounts…but maybe highlighting important accounts is another way tackling the problem, by pushing them down, but not out.

Think of the folders as accounts in this example:

-Phil-

Former Quicken Desktop user 1984 -2023. Currently Testing Simplifi as its replacement.

• y11
    y11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I understand there's already suggestion to sort accounts in account list by balance (please do it as well), but what Mint Extension back in days also helped was hide zero balance credit cards. This helps users with multiple credit cards (I have 20+ between myself and spouse) that are not actively used, but want to keep eye on it — just in case fee gets charged or fraud activity.

https://fixingmint.wordpress.com/2014/02/07/hide-credit-card-accounts-with-zero-balances/

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I like this idea!

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Got my vote. This might be helpful.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hey everyone!

To be clear, are you all looking for the ability to automatically hide credit cards with a $0 balance from the Accounts List? Otherwise, I'd suggest merging this request with the existing request for the ability to hide any account from the Accounts List, as this will give you full control over which accounts to hide:

[removed link to merged thread]

Please let me know, thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In retrospect, I thought most of my credit cards are usually at $0 (I don't carry balances generally) - and to make things worse, I usually manually enter transactions ahead of them downloading (which would be difficult if it was hidden automatically at $0). I'm retracting my vote.

Rob Wilkens

• y11
    y11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes would like to see option to display credit cards with balance only.

• Philk
    Philk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm struggling to fully support hiding any accounts, but if this was the only alternative it's better than nothing.

Currently grouping accounts by account type makes a mess, or otherwise complicates focusing on accounts that matter the most.

Institution Logo Icon next to account name could be helpful…using an emoji sure has helped to bring focus.

I posted a suggestion about a custom Group (favorites) where users could select which accounts in which order they'd like to view from the top down. Another way this could be accomplished is having an option for removing account groups and some way of arranging them, such as an inactive group and or a favorite group.

Any transaction coming in should be detected in the transaction list, essentially the first line of defense for surprise charges for any account.

I support moving accounts with a zero balance to an Inactive Group and have the option of stashing other account there as well to bring focus to accounts of most importance.

-Phil-

Former Quicken Desktop user 1984 -2023. Currently Testing Simplifi as its replacement.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Rob Wilkens

• Philk
    Philk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank @RobWilk . I will go support remembering state of list. Any option simplifi can give us to see and sort our data, such as an option ungroup…collapese some, but not others…then leave it as it is set…is a great idea!

-Phil-

• JWV
    JWV Member ✭✭
    Options

This is a must!

• esender
    esender Member ✭✭
    Options

I'd like the ability to hide the amount in my cash transactions

• y11
    y11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I have found workaround that may work for some use case.

Number your accounts so they get sorted in accounts list and map your mental region to it. For example, my mostly used cards have 1 prefix so they stay top and is on my watchlist. This usually is most recent credit card I opened and need to meet certain spending threshold to receive sign up bonus. My unused ( yet want to keep for whatever reason) gets prefix 9 and they stay bottom of list which I can ignore with all zero balances. If balance pop up on those "9" accounts section, I can easily spot and take whatever action needed.

Anything in between gets corresponding priority number. This works well for me with about 30 credit card accounts

• kerrigjl
    Options

Agreed; would like to hide accounts from net worth calculations (i.e. retirement accounts that I won't touch until retirement) but have the data in the background being tracked. Or even liquid net worth (assets minus liabilities) versus illiquid net worth (including retirement, house minus mortgage, etc).

• lexicalscope
    Options

Upvoted! Is the current workaround just to delete the account?

In my case, there are a few bank checking accounts that I do not want to show up in any transaction list. From what I can tell, my only option is to delete the account?

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@lexicalscope You can close an account without deleting it (you'd keep the transaction history), but I do not believe you can reopen a closed account.

Rob Wilkens

• michfromflorida
    michfromflorida Member ✭✭
    Options

Love this. Thank you for the suggestion. I'd like to be able to hide accounts with zero balances too but this solution is easy to implement. In fact, I've already started calling the zero balance cards our '9' cards.

• Travis H
    Travis H Member ✭✭
    Options

Piling on -please add this feature. Right now, the only way to "hide" an account is to "close" the account. That is way overloading the close functionality. Please add this feature

• Dillon
    Dillon Member ✭✭
    edited January 26
    Options

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the ability to hide closed accounts that everyone is mentioning. I'm thinking maybe you can hide a closed financial institution rather than account? I don't have any closed financial institutions, so I can't verify this assumption. But I am not seeing any way to hide a closed account.

For example, I have an active retirement account with Empower. I also have a couple old accounts with them that had been rolled over into the new active account from previous employers. I marked the accounts themselves as closed in Simplifi, but I see no way to hide them from the accounts list. They just show with "(closed)" behind their name.

• Dillon
    Dillon Member ✭✭
    Options

@UrsulaA Perfect! I didn't even think to look there I was looking in the account settings. Thanks so much for your help.

• iMan
    iMan Member
    edited February 25
    Options

I would like to hide credit cards with 0 balance. This wil make it easirer to track which credit cards require attention. it would also be helpful to have the option to sort credit cards by balance.

[Merged Post]

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25
    Options

Here is a similar request open, which will fulfill your needs. With more votes, the chances for consideration improve.

[Merged Post]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• TX_Hefe
    TX_Hefe Member
    Options

MAKE HIDING ANY ACCOUNT(S) AN OPTION!