Allow Split Transactions to contain negative amounts in rows

Options
CapnWillP
CapnWillP Member

A suggestion for Split Transactions... Please allow a negative amount to be entered into a Row. On Mint, I used splits to add an amount to bring my income up to the Gross amount, then subtracted off the tax and other deductions. (Ex: Row 1: $1000 Income (the net I see) , Row2: $200 Income (to bring it up to the Gross amt, Row 3: -$200 to reflect the taxes withheld. The result is the Net Amt, but allows me to categorize the other stuff. Worked wonderfully in Mint.

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They recently posted that they (Quicken Simplifi) are re-designing how splits work, I don't know if there was an estimate on when, but I wouldn't be surprised if it enables this functionality because others have been asking for it as well.

Rob Wilkens

• mtaylor
    mtaylor Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I think this works currently, it's just that the split row doesn't actually show the negative sign

for example, i have a split transaction where my roommate paid me back for shared expenses, and i can include $$ i owed in the splits:
    +134.50
    59.01 → this is the negative!

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@CapnWillP, thanks for posting!

It sounds like you need to follow the steps outlined here to split your paycheck transactions for deduction tracking (whether the amount is income or an expense depends on the Category used for that line): https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5983781-how-to-track-pre-deposit-paycheck-deductions

Let us know if this works for you!

-Coach Natalie

• DeloskyGA
    Options

Splits don't work great when you are trying to account for reimbursements from other expenses. For example, my company pays me back $75 per month for mobile phone. So I have an existing Expense of $125 to Xfinity mobile. But I also have a $75 income from my company for mobile reimbursement. But when that reimbursement is lumped in with other reimbursements, I can't select my Mobile Phone expense category in the split of the Income. The system doesn't like mixing Expense categories with Income line items. But I want to show that my Net Mobile Phone expenditure is $50 (the $125 I paid to Comcast minus the $75 I received from my company). Today, I'm not aware this is possible in Simplifi.

This is the one place Mint did a better job like other poster's mention. You could always mix Income and Expense categories in the same split. The system didn't care if an "expense" was incoming money or an "income" was outgoing based on how the user was allocating it in their budgets.

Not sure I explained it well. Just consider this a bump for re-evaluating the way Splits are done.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DeloskyGA - the capability that will help with your need is listed in this feature request. Vote for it.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• DeloskyGA
    Options

Thanks. I upvoted. More important to me is the ability to split transactions with a mix of Income and Expense and not mess up the overall calculations of the transaction amount. Not sure that is clear in the requests.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited December 2023
    Options

@DeloskyGA, you should be able to have a mix of income and expense amounts in split transactions currently. You'd ultimately want the amount of the transaction to match the real-life amount regardless of what Categories/Tags/Amounts it's split into.

If you have a suggestion for a change to this, you can create an Idea post to outline and request it:

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie - thanks for the tip on mixing income and expense categories on splits. Tha is helpful.

Minter 2014-2023

• DeloskyGA
    DeloskyGA Member
    Options

Ok. I thought that was the case @Coach Natalie but I still can't do the original ask. I have a reimbursement (Income) of $95.35 from my company. $75 is for my Mobile Phone and $10.35 is for Tolls. But when I go to split this transaction, the issue I was explaining above happens. When I put $75 Mobile Phone in the first line (an Expense), it forces $170.35 into the line below it.

Then, when I modify the second line to the $10.35 Expense for tolls, then the first line item is automatically increased to $105.70 (which looks like the system adds $10.35 + $10.35 to the first line). And I can't enter Negative numbers anywhere here.

Ultimately, I cannot Split an Income into multiple Expense categories. I want to be able to do this to show that my monthly Mobile Phone bill was it's original amount minus this reimbursement. And that my Tolls expenses are a net of $0 because of this reimbursement as well.

With Simplifi, how am I supposed to accomplish this?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you missing items on your question? "$95.35 from my company. $75 is for my Mobile Phone and $10.35 is for Tolls."

$75 + $10.35 = $85.35, not $95.35

The total amount of the splits needs to add up to $95. Also, the tolls needs a + sign too, if it is a reimbursement. Otherwise you get the issue above, which is Simplifi trying to match up the real life total with the split sum.

As @Coach Natalie said, the sum of the splits needs to equal $95.35, the money you received.

Minter 2014-2023

• DeloskyGA
    DeloskyGA Member
    Options

Ack! Sorry for the confusion. You are correct in your math @UrsulaA and what you are saying is exactly what I was entering. Sorry about that.

It is the forcing of the + sign in the amount field that I was missing and looks like what was causing the issue. As soon as I put the + in front of the $75 Mobile Phone expense field, the next field forced a +$20.35 in the next row and everything looks to be adding up correctly.

I think I understand the splitting functionality better now and can split my paycheck deductions out like I need to and split transactions across Expense and Income as well. Just need to get that "splitting creates separate transactions" feature implemented. ;)

Thanks.

• CapnWillP
    Options

I recently realized that I was expecting an expense on a split transaction row to be negative. However, while it shows as a positive amount it DOES subtract from the overall balance. That solves my problem, but if I ever want to offset an expense (like for a refund or reimbursement) in a split transaction I won’t be able to. No big deal right now but it might come up.

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you want to offset an expense (for a reimbursement, as you mentioned) you can put a plus sign before the number and it'll treat it as a negative. It's counterintuitive and I discovered it by mistake - but since it normally treats an expense as subtracting money from your account, putting the plus sign will tell it to add the money to your account instead.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have offset an expense in a split transaction. My daughter paid me back for something using her allowance.

Split I used

Allowance (expense) $15 - entered with no sign, allowance is an expense category

Kids Subscription +$14 - added a plus sign as Kids Subscription is an expense category

Result - $1 down total, which was the amount I gave my kid back.

Minter 2014-2023

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've never had any problem with negative numbers such as when I trade something in for something else and I need to credit one category and debit another. I've done this routinely. It may throw you off that income categories are automatically + and expense categories are automatically - so you sometimes have Simplifi changing it, but you can override it.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

This discussion has been closed.