Ability to contribute to Savings Goals from investment accounts [edited] (4 Merged Votes)

Options

Comments

• ElLogos
    Options

another vote here. Make it happen and simplifi this process for us please

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I vote for this too. Having the investment transactions is nice, but will like to assign a brokerage account to my retirement goal.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Kookookapoopoo
    edited December 2023
    Options

also a vote, but seeing that this thread is almost three years old it’s clear they truly don’t give a [removed - profanity] about a simple goal we want added on. Probably gonna unsubscribe.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Allow option for balances to count towards goals as well, not only contributions for investment accounts.

Minter 2014-2023

• Matt Anfang
    Matt Anfang Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It only allows a Savings goal from 1 account? Really???

• countingaces
    Options

I, too, would like to see this feature. For most of us, savings accounts and checking accounts provide so little in the way of interest. It doesn't make sense for us to leave funds there. Adding funds to Money Market accounts and purchasing CDs or Treasury Bonds is a way for us to save and contribute to savings goals while making low-risk investments.

Adding this feature to Simplifi Money is imperative for us to utilize the savings goals feature. Without it, we're being encouraged to leave our funds in low-interest or zero-interest-bearing accounts or to forgo using the savings goals feature.

Please make this a priority.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am not using the savings goals until:

1. Have an option to add more than 1 account
    2. Have an option to track balances of accounts assigned to specific goals within the goal itself and not have the source account (usually checking) affected
    3. Have transfers counted as goal contributions. I like seeing the recurring transfers as part of the spending plan under Transfers & Credit Card Payments.

If needed, leave the option to manually contribute or withdraw to the goal for those who use it.

Minter 2014-2023

• khad
    khad Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, as the feature exists today, I don't even understand how the majority of people can even use it.

• dmal
    dmal Member
    Options

When will this be enabled? Savings goal feature is totally useless otherwise…

• SimplyManaged
    Options

3 years and still nothing? Oof!

• SimpliJSHL
    SimpliJSHL Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Not the solution you're all looking for, but I have found a way to do this. If you go to accounts, change your brokerage to a "Savings" type account, you can allocate the balances to goals. You can then switch it back into an Investment type account and the allocation will remain. Not ideal for recurring allocations to savings goals, but better than nothing.

• ScribblyAnn
    Options

@Bastarosus I believe you can already do this by making the 'money out' side of the transfer visible to the spending plan, and leaving the 'money in' excluded. I do this for my Roth IRA transfers, so that it recognizes that money as unavailable/spent after I've transferred it to my retirement savings.

I'd also like to express my support for allocating funds in investment accounts for savings goals.

• icemm
    icemm Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

+1 on this. Other platforms like [removed] & Mint have this and I'm surprised this hasn't been added as a feature in so long.

Financially savvy people often use investment/brokerage accounts to create a portfolio to meet their savings goals such as dividends investing or investment in high growth stocks

• quickdave
    Options

This has been a feature request for at least 4 years. What is going on ? We need an update. This is a huge loss compared to Mint or any other software.

• zillionbucks
    Options

@Bastarosus I'm new to Simplifi, and wondering if what you're looking for can be achieved by creating a recurring monthly bill for $500 and linking your transfer transactions to that bill? I have a similar situation (529 contributions) and looking for a way to account for that.

• scotte
    scotte Member
    Options

Savings goals is not useful until other accounts can be used to select from.

• Roach
    Options

This feature request is about to be 4 years old, It is the 5th highest voted feature request. Please prioritize this.

• DeloskyGA
    DeloskyGA Member
    Options

It would make a lot of sense to be able to track certain Investment accounts (Brokerage, Stock, etc) towards an overall Retirement goal. Very similar to the way you have the Savings goal tracked against Savings accounts.

In many people's eyes, these are two distinct financial goals (per this post). I've up voted the request!

• Diana43
    Diana43 Member
    Options

I'll add another vote to this request. I don't even try to use savings goals in Simplifi (although I really want to) since the cannot be associated with brokerage accounts. Given current savings/checking account interest rates, if someone is savings for long-term savings goals they are most likely using CDs/Mutual Funds in a brokerage account.

• aolafsson
    aolafsson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, this is needed. I also include money I consider savings (would like to count towards a savings goal) in a brokerage account. However, until Simplifi goals can auto-detect the account balance and update goal progress accordingly, I don't think this will be helpful. The manual transaction reconciliation for an investment account would be way worse than for savings accounts, which I'm already not willing to do.

• Caleb
    Caleb Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

Upvoted. New user coming over from Mint. I'll be honest I was a little stunned when I found out I couldn't use investment accounts for savings goals - seems kind of basic. Kinda makes the entire feature worthless until it can be implemented.

Honestly I would think if someone was trying to use a checking account to save for a goal like a house, the program should suggest hey, there's a better way to do that…

Please address this soon!

• Kale231
    Options

This is a critical feature, how has it not been added in 3 years?

• andy98687
    andy98687 Member
    edited February 2
    Options

Here's another mint member pretty frustrated with not being able to get things set up in Simplifi. This feature needs to be fast-tracked. I don't expect you to re-make mint, but this is a pretty obvious thing that most people do. Co-pilot does this, and while more expensive, I'll be moving there next month if this specific thing is not implemented. Goal-specific spending and savings plans are pretty much the reason we're all here making a budget…. Get it together.

• johnpw
    Options

agree I use one of my brokerage accounts as my emergency fund. In mint the cash in that account was my emergency fund which I could set a goal against

• Diver4242
    Diver4242 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hard to understand why this isn't possible. Please don't wait for people to upvote, if a problem is a problem, or a feature is missing, just fix it!

• dr.atto
    Options

not sure why there is no voting option - but add another vote for this feature!

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20
    Options

Go to the first page of this discussion and click the up arrow to add your vote.

Minter 2014-2023

• oscarh
    Options

yes mint used to have this feature ad its great , we should able to conect our goal to an invesment account , i personally dont keep cash around i pretty much invest , also if i a saving for college how would i know how much i have since i cna conect to my 529?

• Bread01
    Bread01 Member ✭✭
    Options

As a 12+ year Mint user, I never really used goals and never used budgets. However, I see a lot of Mint users here who seem to be focusing on longer-term planning or investing, and I will upvote this in solidarity with them.

Simplifi User Since February 2024

Mint User Since 2011

User Type: Monitor Net Income and Grow Net Worth

• Amanza
    Amanza Member
    Options

I also would like to use any account balance, including investment accounts, for any goal. For example, for college savings I have a few investment accounts and a cash account - perfect for assigning to a college savings goal. For retirement, I have Roth IRAs, 401ks, etc. between my wife and me that are perfect to count toward retirement. Other products allow this and as I take this year to find a new home as I leave Mint, this would be a great new addition.