Can I use multiple Subcategories in a spending plan?

Options
Max1223
Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited January 17 in Using the Spending Plan

Seems like I can only check one subcategory or the entire Category but not select specific subcategories in the spending plan. Am I missing something? Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looks like you can select specific subcategories in the spending plan as long as you do not have the entire parent category selected. The spending plan is designed to not double count.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Let me be a little more clear, yes you can select a Single sub category, but I would like to select multiple's, like having check boxes. For instance in HOME main category, I have 6 sub categories, but only want to select 4 of them and leave 2 off. In the current implementation, I'd have to set up 4 separate plans. I'd like to have it all grouped under HOME and have visual showing the subcategories vs having 4 separate plan views.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ah, I see. A watchlist may fit your use case better if you do not want to use 4 separate plans. Watchlists let you set targets as well.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3472367-using-watchlists

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes I use watchlists, but this is specific to making the Spending Plan calculations work for use cases like Appliances in Home but that's not a monthly expense. So I can create a Savings goal for that but then would need to omit it from the Expenses spending plan. Im trying to make the Spending Plan work, but its not intuitive.

This discussion has been closed.