Add a comparison view to Watchlists (edited)

Options
Max1223
Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in Using Watchlists

It's great that a watchlist shows the last 12 months of expenses. I'm coming from another product and used the compare to last year feature a lot to see month over month from this year to last year. Each column would show this years expenses next to last year's along with totals from the year and monthly averages from this to last year.

It's helpful if you are attempting in cases where you are trying to reduce or maintain spending in a given category.

Thanks

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, while this feature sounds nice, I prefer to have this option in the report area. I believe the comparison option will be more flexible versus a watchlist for me. Thoughts?

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@UrsulaA Here’s what I like about Watchlists:

1. Saved lists: You can instantly see specific lists with one click, vs having to set up a category and filters each time in a report
    2. 12 month view in one click default: to get a 12 month view in reports, you need to go through several clicks. For example create a list of your groceries in a 12 month window, viewed over time. In watchlists, once saved, it’s one click. I believe there is a request to add a single click last 12 month view in Reports, but you still have several clicks to get to a bar graph, over time and with specific categories. Because these Reports aren’t saved, you have to do this everytime to view a different Tag or Filter.
    3. Goal line: Watchlist gives you a goal line, Reports do not
    4. Average Monthly: Watchlist calculates a monthly averages and reports currently months spent so far.

Upon opening the Reports tab, the design of Reports seems to emphasize looking at multiple categories this month by presenting this month, in a pie chart. I think this is important view to have. But then digging deeper requires many clicks. This is where Watchlists seem to come into play, I’d love to see added flexibility of adjusting the dates in the watchlist.

In some ways, if you could “save” a report, in any specific view I’ve created, then I would get what I’m asking for (outside of point 3 and 4), but it seems that Reports and Watchlists aren’t integrated like some other products do.

Thanks for the question, thoughts?

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@UrsulaA hello, so the link to the other post got me confused and I thought you were asking about adding time to watchlists. I’ve coped my response to my other thread.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You make good points. We should keep this request going. I like the goal line, which the reports do not have.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@UrsulaA for the same reasons above regarding the request to add custom dates, this is why I’d want comparisons built into Watchlist. I’ll use the grocery example again:

1. I want to view monthly grocery expenses over the last 12 months. Reports forces me to go through several clicks, each time I want this view.
    2. In watchlist, once the view is saved, it’s one click.
    3. From there, I would like to add a comparison view month to month
    4. And be able to change dates.

I requested to see this in Watchlists because of point 1, needing to reset this view everytime in Reports. It seems like Reports and Watchlists (call them Saved Reports) could be combined for simplicity but for whatever reasons, they are two separate sections and don’t share features like custom dates, goal lines, etc.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.