Ability to automatically apply splits to downloaded, imported, and manual transactions (edited)

Options
simplira
simplira Member ✭✭
edited January 4 in Feature Requests

While there is a different topic and there is lot of support for split recurring transactions, I was wondering if that is taking time, can we implement a template import for split transactions. This way I can keep couple CSV files and for the transactions I want to split, I can import the split categories and suggested amounts using the saved templates. At least will make splitting manually faster.

This could be a good middle ground while the actual feature gets implemented.

5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@simplira, thanks for posting your suggestion to the Community!

I think importing split transactions from a CSV file is already available in Quicken Simplifi; I see someone commented here on how they accomplished importing transactions and keeping their splits. And I can confirm that exporting splits is also already available. What exactly are you looking for with this, and what have you tried?

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie - could you post a CSV template for importing split transactions into Simplifi with their corresponding splits along with clearer instructions on how to accomplish such import? This could help people splitting their paychecks who want a memorized split or people troubleshooting Mint imports with split transactions not matching their bank original downloaded total amount.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• mellamoes
    Options

Certain payments, I split every single month in the same way and categorize each split separately. For example, my mortgage payment shows up as one total line item. I manually split this into Mortgage, HOA, and Property Taxes. This amount doesn’t change much. I want the ability to always split the total into my set mortgage and set property taxes and set the remainder to go towards HOA

• simplira
    simplira Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Coach. What you pointed is about importing/exporting transactions from CSV file including splits and I am aware of that. What I am asking is that when there is a transaction that the app imports from the bank like a paycheck or a mortgage payment and when I press the split button, it gives me an option to import split categories from a CSV file. So instead of having the transaction in the csv file I would have the splits in the csv file. Something like, say if the transaction is for $2500 for mortgage payment, the csv file will contain:

Principal,1000,optional tag
    Loan interest,1100,optional tag
    escrow,400,optional tag

And as I import that, those categories will auto insert in the transaction. This could be really powerful for the paycheck which has many more categories in the split.

Thanks

• simplira
    simplira Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Coach, I am not sure what happened to my previous post, it is showing as questionable excel. What I was saying there was that the reference for CSV import you mentioned is for importing transactions. But what I was referring was ability to import splits and not transactions. So, say for example the app downloads a mortgage transaction from the bank for $2500 and when I click on split this transaction, there is an option to import splits from a csv file. The csv files will contain the split categories instead of the transactions. Som something like

principal,1100,optional tag
    loan interest,1000,optional tag
    escrow account,400,optional tag

And this populate the transaction with these splits. This could really be powerful for splitting paychecks which usually has many more categories.

Thanks.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present