AMEX High Yield Savings accounts not connecting (edited)

Options
dereckmezquita
dereckmezquita Member

Hi I just wrote a post but it seems it got deleted or something. I can't find my discussion anywhere so I am submitting this here; sorry if there is a duplicate.

I read through this whole thread to try to solve my issue but I can't get it to work:

I previously had my American Express account connected both my platinum card and a high-yield savings account. I recently created a new high-yield savings account.

Anyway I was having issues with the connection it kept asking me to reconnect. I tried that, but it didn't resolve the issue. So I decided to disconnect and reconnect; reset the connection.

When I tried to reestablish the connection, I only found my platinum card account and can't get my HYS accounts to connect.

I think I tried all of the American Express connections; " - Banking", "FSB" etc; but I didn't find my HYSAs when connecting.

Please help, I am a heavy American Express user and one of the main reasons why I was drawn to Simplifi is because of the support for American Express!

Comments

• dereckmezquita
    Options

When I try to use the FSB connection I get this error (I deleted my username for security reasons).

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @dereckmezquita,

Thanks for reporting this issue to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties connecting your American Express High Yield Savings accounts in Simplifi.

Before escalating this, we'll want to be sure that you've fully tried all options — it looks like you've tried "American Express - Banking", and that was the option you were connected to prior to the issue. Have you tried the option listed as just "American Express" (this will require an API flow)? We also want to try to the "American Express Bank FSB”, but I see you're receiving a 103 error there.

To troubleshoot the 103 error, please follow these steps:

1. Verify your login information – Type your password/PIN into a text application to ensure you don’t have any typographical errors. Then, copy and paste your login information into Simplifi to ensure accuracy.
    2. Verify your login at the bank’s website – Try to sign in to your bank’s website using the same login credentials to ensure you've not locked yourself out of the account and that the credentials are still valid.
    3. Check for an app-specific password – Some banks require users to use a specific app password when connecting to a third party. Check with your bank to see if you need to use an app-specific password.
    4. Update your credentials – Try temporarily updating your password at your bank's website and then try again to connect to Simplifi. We recommend NOT using the following special characters: & < > / \.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• dereckmezquita
    Options

Thank you for the help will go through your suggestions one by one! So I started by first changing my password to something more simple first (I was not using any of those special characters previously; but just to be sure) then reseting the connection so I can reconnect. Also I use a password manager so I'm sure my passwords are correct, I even typed the username/password myself to be sure a few times.

After some research I don't think AMEX has an app specific password. Also, someone suggested disabling 2FA but it looks like it's not possible with AMEX:

Question: I originally created the connection with "American Express - Banking" I believe, might this be why we fail to connect to the other AMEX options?

my attempts at reestablishing a connection
    1. The "American Express" connection (the API flow one): only shows platinum card and then fails to connect.

How does this option work; login then get some kind of bearer token from AMEX? Is the app getting the token correctly?

2. American Express Bank FSB: fails to connect error 103; I did verify my username and password are correct.

3. American Express - Banking; this one prompts me for 2FA, then I can see my card, but no HYSA, the connection the card works.

4. I also tried "American Express - Delegate" just in case:

5. Finally I also switched browser to Chrome just in case:

5.1 Chrome doing "American Express" API flow login; same thing happened - asked for login, 2FA then shows card and finally fails to connect.

5.2 Chrome + FSB: I see here it's saying in the error to connect to AMEX banking however, I had selected FSB; might the app not be connecting to the right URL?

5.3 Chrome + Amex banking: same thing only connects card.

So in conclusion I can't connect my AMEX HYSAs, I tried using Safari and Chrome to establish a connection, verified passwords, used all the different connection types you have available.

My concern is that I'll have to delete the connection completely, which is something I don't want to do as I don't want to lose my transaction history…

Please help :(

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@dereckmezquita, thanks for all of the detailed troubleshooting!

Yes, let's not delete your 'American Express - Banking' connection; we definitely don't want you to lose all of your data. I'm going to get this reported as a missing accounts escalation. To do so, please provide the following information:

1. Have there been any changes made to the bank's website or their sign-in process recently?
    2. Has there been any activity in either/both of the missing accounts in the last 90 days?
    3. The name of the missing accounts, as they appear on the bank's website.
    4. A screenshot of the Accounts Summary page from the bank's website that lists all accounts and balances and has a wide enough scope to show the page URL (this must be taken from a web browser and not a mobile browser).

-Coach Natalie

• dereckmezquita
    dereckmezquita Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    1. Not that I'm aware of, I know that AMEX was migrating their HYSA to a unified login with the card but I think this is old news. It was even mentioned in this post in which you participated:

American Express High Yield Savings Account - Not Linking to Simplifi

Anywho I go to https://www.americanexpress.com/ I select login type in username/password, and select "Cards and Banking" from the drop down.

Then I login. Once logged in I can switch between my credit card and my HYSAs.

2. Before the connection was interrupted no missing transactions. However after I reset the connection the 1 HYSA I had originally lost all its transaction history. I think this is due to the disconnection. I still have some of the transfers there (other side of the transaction) in the HSYA in Simplifi, this must have been created when the transactions were originally loaded and matched.

3. Here are my accounts; note that I just created a third today (I wanted a third and wanted to test if making a new one would show up in Simplifi).

I did do one thing by the way. AMEX allows you to rename accounts on their website. It's just a nickname for the account. So I had changed the names of my accounts to something for example like "Emergency Fund" and the second "Home Savings"; so the nicknames were unique before this should not be an issue. Also it should be able to identify them by the last digits of the account right? In short I don't think having multiple accounts should be an issue as it was working before.

Anyway to try to re-establish the connection I changed the names back to the default name as shown in my screen shot below:

Here is the nickname function; you select an account then you can add a nickname.

4. Could you generate a secure link for me to send you this screen shot with account balances etc; do you need to see account numbers/balances; if not then I think these screenshots are good yes? I think it will be same as the one I show here but without the redactions.

Also when making that screen show I noticed that the url does change between a card, and a HYSA the url is different:

• URL for being on the card page: https://global.americanexpress.com/dashboard?account_key=SOME_RANDOM_ALPHANUMERIC
    • URL for being on the savings account page (any HYSA): https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/banking/personal/savings/dashboard

I noticed one other thing, that when you're on the savings account page and you click to switch/view other accounts the current balance etc doesn't show, looks like AMEX has a bug in their website there.

I hope my comment can help to get this resolved, really want to have all my accounts in Simplifi love the app :)

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@dereckmezquita, thank you!

The Dashboard screenshot above with the account numbers and part of the URL redacted should work, but they may need to see the full URL, and they may also need to have the full account names, since they're all named the same thing (High Yield Savings Acct) according to your screenshot. I don't think they need to see the balances either, so we can try with that screenshot and I'll let you know if we need to obtain more info, which can be done privately.

However, for number 2, we need to know if there's been any activity in all of the missing accounts on the bank's end. Since you just opened two of the accounts, I'd assume there's at least an opening deposit, however, has there been any additional activity? Also, resetting the connection for the original HYS account, or having a connection issue in general, should not remove existing transactions. Is this something you want to pursue looking into, or should we just focus on getting the accounts connected?

-Coach Natalie

• dereckmezquita
    Options

There is indeed activity on my bank's end in all of the missing HYS accounts. The one I created yesterday has an opening deposit, and the others have more activity (deposits).

Moreover, I've changed the nicknames on my accounts: "Emergency Fund", "Home Deposit", "Holiday".

Do you need anything from me at this point? If so please let me know, would like to get this resolved as quickly as possible :)

Also this is interesting; I think AMEX people might be working on their site:

I noticed today the URL for the home page for my card changed to this:

The alphanumeric key is gone.

Also, when I try to view my savings account, I get an error; as I said, maybe AMEX is working on their website.

I have a side question please: How does the connection with accounts work? Why do we have to provide usernames/passwords? Is the username/password continuously used to maintain a connection, or is a token generated and saved upon the first successful connection?

I think it would be the former (always uses usernames/passwords to connect); I think this since AMEX constantly prompts for a 2FA verification.

Can you not implement a token-based authentication; do banks not support this yet? It just seems more secure and reliable in the long run.

• dereckmezquita
    dereckmezquita Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I checked back and things are working now on AMEX's end.

The URL on the homepage for a credit card when you first login is: https://global.americanexpress.com/dashboard

This is when you first load the page.

[removed screenshot for privacy]

If you navigate to a savings account, you see this URL: https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/banking/personal/savings/dashboard

If now you navigate back to the credit card page, you see the URL I showed in a previous comment with an alphanumeric key in it: https://global.americanexpress.com/dashboard?account_key=SOME_KEY

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @dereckmezquita,

Thanks for providing the requested information!

I have gone ahead and gotten this escalated and will be sure to post back as soon as an update is received.

-Coach Natalie

EWC-10422501

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello again @dereckmezquita,

It looks like our Service Provider needs a certain file from you in order to investigate the missing accounts. To obtain the file, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to the sign-in page on the bank's website where you'd access the High Yield Savings Accounts, but don't sign in yet.
    2. Right-click on the page and select "Inspect". A console window will open on the right.
    3. Select the 'Network' tab at the top (you may need to click the » arrows to see more options).
    4. Place a checkmark in 'Preserve log'.
    5. Leave the console open and sign into the bank's website.
    6. Once signed in, click the download arrow (downward-facing arrow) in the upper left of the console window.
    7. Save the .HAR file.

Once you have the file, you can either send it to me in a DM here in the Community (if it lets you), or I can email you a link to our Secure File Exchange and you can upload it there.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hey @dereckmezquita!

I got your DM and have emailed you a link to our Secure File Exchange. Please let me know once the HAR file is uploaded, and I'll get it submitted. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• s33fz38y
    s33fz38y Member
    Options

same issue for me. AMEX savings and checking do not show up

• JPimentel
    Options

Same issue for me. I cannot get my AMEX High Yield Savings Account to show up — only my AMEX credit cards,

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @dereckmezquita,

I got the HAR file submitted and will let you know as soon as I hear back. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @s33fz38y & @JPimentel,

Thanks for posting on this topic, although I apologize that you're both also seeing this issue in Simplifi.

Please follow these steps to make sure all options are covered when attempting to add/connect the missing account(s):

1. Attempt to add/connect the account using the “American Express - Banking” option.
    2. Attempt to add/connect the account using the “American Express Bank FSB” option.
    3. Attempt to add/connect the account using the “American Express” option (you will need to authorize your accounts through the OAuth API when using this option).

If you are still unable to add/connect the account, please provide the following information:

1. Do you have other American Express accounts? If so, what type of accounts are they, and are they currently connected in Simplifi?
    2. If you do have other American Express accounts connected in Simplifi, which option are they connected to?
    3. Have you ever had the missing account(s) connected in Simplifi? If so, which option was it connected to?
    4. Have there been any changes made to the bank's website or their sign-in process recently?
    5. The name of the missing account, as it appears on the bank's website.
    6. A screenshot of the Accounts Summary page from the bank's website that lists all accounts and balances and has a wide enough scope to show the page URL (this must be taken from a web browser and not a mobile browser).
    7. A screenshot of the Add Account screen in Simplifi that lists all accounts that are discovered and shows that the account(s) in question are missing.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @dereckmezquita,

It looks like our team needs to schedule a debugging session with you to go over the issue. What is your general availability and what time zone are you in?

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• dereckmezquita
    Options

@Coach Natalie ok good, I’m on central time zone.

I’m available tomorrow between 12-1400 central or after 1600 central. If that doesn’t work for you then we’ll have to do it sometime Tuesday afternoon next week the 4th.

• Coach Natalie
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hey @dereckmezquita!

They won't be able to schedule it as soon as tomorrow. I can request next Tuesday afternoon (although that might be too soon also), but just in case, do you have more of a general availability that I can provide, even if it's in the evening after work?

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    edited September 2023
    Options

Thanks for providing your availability, @dereckmezquita!

I have requested the debugging session and provided your contact info, as well as your availability. I used the phone number that's on file, so if this differs from your preferred contact number, please send me a DM with the preferred number and I'll update the ticket. However, they will most likely be contacting you via email, so be sure to keep an eye out for an email that includes a date and time for the session.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Coach Natalie

CTP-7687

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @dereckmezquita,

I received your DM regarding the session, and it doesn't look like the ticket has any movement on it as of yet. These items do take some time to schedule, as there are multiple entities involved. You should receive that email once they have a date and time for you. In the meantime, I did request an update on the ticket, though we most likely just need to allow some more time.

Please let me know if you still haven't received anything in a couple of weeks, and I'll see if I can find out what's going on. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• AJT
    AJT Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie hello I am also having the above problem syncing Amex savings as reported by the other users. I will attempt what you suggested on Aug 25 and follow up.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@dereckmezquita, I'm sure you already heard back, but I also wanted to follow up — a fix for this has been implemented so you should be good to go. 😊

-Coach Natalie

• Michelle 87
    Options

it is October 11 and once again with today and yesterday and the day before updates I was asked to do the authentication via text every day so to me it is not fixed for my American Express high yield savings account.

• Coach Natalie
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Michelle 87, thanks for posting!

To clarify, are you unable to connect your American Express HYS account in Quicken Simplifi like the other users in this thread, or are you just asked to perform MFA for the account each day? If the latter, unfortunately, we can't do anything for the MFA requests, as these are made by the banks directly.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4704254-why-do-i-need-to-re-authenticate-my-bank-with-every-refresh

You can try connecting the account to the option listed as just "American Express" in Quicken Simplifi, as this option uses an OAuth API to connect, which is supposed to reduce or eliminate MFA requests from the bank. However, I'm not sure that this option will work for you, as I believe the HYS accounts need to be connected under "American Express - Banking". But you can try it!

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6997452-new-and-improved-way-to-connect-to-your-financial-institution-oauth-api

The only other thing we can suggest is disabling or lowering MFA with the bank directly, which we realize is not always the best option for security reasons.

-Coach Natalie

• Pat S
    Options

I am unable to connect my American Express HYS account in Quicken Simplifi like the other users in this thread. I have 3 other credit card accounts. Have tried all 3 Amex setups in Simplifi.

• Pat S
    Options

@dereckmezquita what solution was implemented for you? Seems I need the same. @Coach Natalie are you able to share?

• Nullbody
    Nullbody Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

I'm going to bump this thread because I am also having the same issue, and none of the suggested solutions have worked.
    Perhaps Simplifi's developers need to use a newer version of American Express's API?

EDIT: Both "American Express" and "American Express Banking" are able to successfully find my Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, but are unable to find my High Yield Savings account. Both accounts are able to be accessed through the same login on the Amex mobile map.
    I genuinely believe this to be an issue with Simplifi using an older API endpoint that only returns credit cards.

• johnson4668
    Options

Hello - I am new to Simplifi and I am having the same issue - Amex credit card is showing by the HYSA is not. Did this get resolved yet?

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello All,

For anyone experiencing an issue adding/connecting their American Express High Yield Savings account to Quicken Simplifi, please follow these steps:

1. Attempt to add/connect the account using the “American Express - Banking” option.
    2. Attempt to add/connect the account using the “American Express Bank FSB” option.
    3. Attempt to add/connect the account using the “American Express” option (you will need to authorize your accounts through the OAuth API when using this option).

If you are still unable to add/connect the account, please provide the following information:

1. Do you have other American Express accounts? If so, what type of accounts are they, and are they currently connected in Quicken Simplifi?
    2. If you do have other American Express accounts connected in Quicken Simplifi, which option are they connected to?
    3. Have you ever had the missing account connected in Quicken Simplifi? If so, which option was it connected to?
    4. Has there been any activity in the missing account in the last 90 days?
    5. Have there been any changes made to the bank's website or their sign-in process recently?
    6. The name of the missing account, as it appears on the bank's website.
    7. A screenshot of the Accounts Summary page from the bank's website that lists all accounts and balances and has a wide enough scope to show the page URL (this must be taken from a web browser and not a mobile browser; feel free to redact any personal info).
    8. A screenshot of the Add Account screen in Quicken Simplifi that lists all accounts that are discovered and shows that the account in question is missing.

Please also submit your logs via the 'Send Feedback' option:

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

Thanks, everyone!

-Coach Natalie

• JLQ
    JLQ Member
    Options

Both "American Express" and "American Express Banking" are able to successfully find my Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, but not my Savings account. "American Express FSB" doesn't recognize my credentials.

I'm using the same login on the Amex mobile app and their website to access both my CC and Savings account.

Note that I didn't experience the same issue with other apps I tried (Monarch, Empower, Mint)

Going through the suggested steps:

1. I only got my CC and savings account. The CC connects succesfully using one or the other (amex or Amex banking)
    2. CC currently connected using "American Express"
    3. I never managed to have the Savings account in Simplifi
    4. There were multiple transaction within the last 90 days (last week)
    5. No recent change since they unified the logins end of last year
    6. High Yield Savings Acct (-XXXX)
    7. A screenshot of the Accounts Summary page from the bank's website
    8. A screenshot of the Add Account screen in Quicken Simplifi that lists all accounts that are discovered

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.