Check numbers

Options
KAO
KAO Member
edited February 16 in Managing Your Transactions

Some of us older people still use paper checks. It would be very helpful to have those show up on the transactions.

Tagged:

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Check out this feature request covering check numbers. If implemented, it will address your need.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• bowgy4
    bowgy4 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, @UrsulaA for recommending this old request of mine. I was involved in some of the early improvements to categorization and bulk editing and I thought this was an easy ask that would have been added years ago. I'd still find it useful, especially if they automatically pull the check numbers from the transaction details - my banks all show the check number, but I'm not sure if Intuit aggregation is setup to pull that in. If it is, even more frustrating that Quicken hasn't just added the column to store that info in.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I’m one of the older people and can literally count on one hand the number of checks I write in a year. Never dawned on me to miss a check number column. I guess having the option to add a number column would be ok as long as it’s an optional column.

I know Quicken classic had/has that feature - a check number column (for many years that column was mostly empty for me) but Q Classic’s bank register functioned like an electronic checkbook register. I think that was because when Q Classic was developed check writing was still in wide usage by a lot more folks.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@KAO

Till Simplifi adds a check # field - if they ever do - this is what I do in those rare instances when I write a check.

In the payee field, I enter this…

And in the note field, I enter this…

Which generally keeps Simplifi happy.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I use a similar format for check notes. I write a few a year. Also, Simplifi does not bring the check number in as part of the original statement text. Neither did Mint since 2019, at least for my Wells Fargo checking account.

Minter 2014-2023

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

for me, simplifi brings in the check number as the Payee. When I enter checks manually, if I put in the actual Payee's name in the Payee (after the check number), simplifi doesn't match the downloaded transaction to the pending one, and I have doubles. So I end up putting it in with the check number as the Payee and the actual person/entity to whom the check was written in the Notes. But since notes don't show up everywhere, it's not ideal (and I think simplifi would do a better job matching the transactions if there was an actual Check # field).

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The only thing I see in payee from my bank is Check # xxxxx. My wife writes a few checks and it usually easier for me to go to the bank for a photo of the front of the check than to find the wife's checkbook. The Payee is the information I really need. I manually add a category to the checks. I use the amount and date more than check number to find checks.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Same here @N4KHQ - amount and date are more important for me to know what the check is for. Mint had a check number field and even with it, duplicates resulted and I had to get rid of one of them. Some of my old records do not even have a check number but are categorized and contain a correct payee/description.

Minter 2014-2023

This discussion has been closed.