Savings Goals: Additional Monthly Contribution

Options
Pchamb1998
Pchamb1998 Member ✭✭✭
edited February 16 in Using Savings Goals

I have a savings goal set up for home improvement that I deposit $400 monthly into. Last month, I had additional cash flow and made an additional $400 contribution. I did this on the last day of the month and the funds didnt get situated for a day or two. When I applied the savings goal contribution it was in January even though I executed the transfer in December, because of this, it flagged the contribution for January thus marking it as paid in the spending plan. Is there a workaround to make the additional contribution actually reflect in December and not mess up my spending plan for January? The transfer occurred in December. The settlement and contribution to savings goal didn't occur until January. I want it reflected in December 2023's spending plan and not January of 2024. Advice would be appreciated!

Tagged:

Best Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Pchamb1998

As you may have already found out, you can only contribute to a SG if you have undesignated funds in the account you want to contribute from.

You could try going to your Spending Plan and clicking the back arrow to return to your December Spending Plan. If your goal existed in December you can check to see if you can make a contribution, but not sure you can. I already updated all my SGs for 2024 and don't have a carryover SG I can test this on. If you can still make a contribution, you could go to your SG page, "make a withdraw for another purpose" return this amount to undesignated balance, then go back to the December Spending Plan and make the additional contribution. Again, have no idea if this is possible.

Otherwise, you can make additional contribution in January even though your Spending Plan shows you already made the expected contribution. I understand you want the contribution to be counted against last month's SP, but since this is an extra contribution above your planned contribution does it really matter which month it comes out of?

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Pchamb1998, thanks for posting!

It looks like Danny has got you covered with some suggestions, so I just wanted to share this existing request so you can vote on it:

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.