Ability to disable the automatic linking of Transfers (edited)

Options
SidKa
SidKa Member ✭✭
edited January 22 in Feature Requests

[removed] - is there any way to turn off Simplifi's automated linking of transfers across accounts? Very often, Simplifi gets it wrong (e.g, a $105 debit in a banking account is linked as a "transfer" to a $105 sell trade in an investment account, even though it's pure coincidence that the amounts are the same). Worse, it appears to be applied retroactively without any obvious trigger (e.g., transactions in December got incorrectly linked even though we're in January)

6 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@SidKa, thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

The ability to disable the automatic linking of Transfers is not currently available in Quicken Simplifi, so I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post so other users can vote on it and our product team can review it.

With that, since Quicken Simplifi is designed to learn over time, hopefully the manual intervention you're doing will help improve things for you down the road. Otherwise, if you'd prefer to do some troubleshooting on this instead of having it be a feature request for the ability to disable the automatic linking of Transfers, let us know and we can turn this back into a Discussion.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• ejs
    ejs Member ✭✭
    Options

I agree that Simplifi's handling of transfer linking is very problematic. It is especially irritating that Simplifi will override manual changes that I've made when it mistakenly links transactions together — for example, I might manually recategorize a transaction into a specific category, and then some time later Simplifi decides to retroactively link it to unrelated transaction coincidentally having the same dollar amount (undoing my recategorization, and, assuming I notice the error and unlink the transactions, requiring me to go back and recategorize the original transaction again, which at that point has become uncategorized altogether).

In addition to (or instead of) the suggested feature of being able to turn off automated linking, I think it would be a good idea for Simplifi to ask for user confirmation before linking transactions together. If Simplifi thinks two transactions should be linked, it could prompt the user to confirm that they should indeed be linked before it does so (or reject the suggestion if the transactions shouldn't be linked).

• ejs
    ejs Member ✭✭
    Options

I just had an instance of manually entering a transaction, which I manually categorized as a transfer and which Simplifi (accurately) matched to the other side of the transfer. Simplifi handled this by popping up a box suggesting that the transfers be linked, and asking me to confirm that I want to link the two transactions in question. So it appears that for manually created transactions, Simplifi is already doing what I suggested above. In my opinion, Simplifi should do the same thing (or something similar, allowing the user to confirm or reject the linking of transactions) for automatically synced transactions.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure how I feel about this one — a little too often, when I enter a manual transfer, it has linked to the wrong transaction on the other end (ideally, it should have just created a new transaction to link to in these cases). But for automatic, I can't imagine how it would 'ever' link linked transfers if it didn't do it automatically.

Rob Wilkens

• ejs
    ejs Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm imagining that it would work exactly the same way it currently does for manual transactions. If Simplifi thinks two automatically synced transactions should be linked together, it would generate a prompt informing the user of that fact and asking for confirmation that those two transactions should indeed be linked.

• ejs
    ejs Member ✭✭
    Options

The problem of Simplifi mismatching transactions is becoming increasingly frequent for me. Admittedly, I have an abnormally high number of unrelated transactions that have identical dollar amounts, so the potential for mismatching is higher for me than most users. But having to identify and correct these mistakes is becoming a nightmare.

Sometimes, when I "unlink" transactions that Simplifi has mistakenly linked, the software will attempt to delete one side of the transfer instead of simply changing its category to Uncategorized. Is this a bug?

For example, today I tried to change the category of a linked transfer that Simplify got wrong to the generic category "Transfer" and received this message:

"You are editing the transfer transaction 'Ally Bank' to no longer be a transfer. This will also delete the other side of the transfer in account [CapOne - 360 Checking]"

• coltrane
    coltrane Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

I am not sure this is a new feature I would vote for but I did want to echo that the apps linking and merging logic is very problematic. It is linking things that have very little in common and scarily, merging with transactions way in the past. Also it is deleting downloaded transactions for an unknown reason.

I really like this app but this issue is very frustrating

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Mint User Since The Stone Age

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @ejs,

Thanks for letting us know! I would suggest maybe creating a new discussion on the issue you are facing so that we can keep this thread focused on the idea post here. This way other users experiencing the same issue can contribute to your new discussion you create.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• ejs
    ejs Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok, thanks, I started a new thread about that specific issue.

• SidKa
    SidKa Member ✭✭
    Options

2 specific ideas:

1. Simplifi would prompt before linking, so I have a manual ability to agree/disagree with the automatic linking. It does not do the prompting today for all linking
    2. If I chose "No" at the prompt (or corrected a previous incorrect linking), Simplifi would accept the decision. Instead, it "secretly" goes back and re-links older transactions today, messing up my historical finances