Combine an existing Brokerage Account with an Imported account with the same name

Options
neon45
neon45 Member ✭✭

I have brokerage account 6366, but when I imported it from MINT, it did not pick up old individual transactions that were being populated from previous accounts.

So I went back and downloaded the individual stock history. Simplifi is now showing those in a new account with the 6366 name but with the additional tag of IMPORTED.

Can I combine these two? Or, how do I get those old transaction into the existing Brokerage account? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks..

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@neon45, thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

It sounds like you're looking to merge two accounts in Quicken Simplifi — is that right? If so, unfortunately, Quicken Simplifi doesn't offer a way to do this. The only thing I can think of is to manually change the 'Account' for each transaction, but this also does not appear to be possible for imported transactions.

Have you considered deleting one of the accounts and reimporting the data from that account into the remaining account?

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭
    Options

Bueller? Bueller?? Has anyone seen Bueller ?

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, the merge would be nice. I originally tried downloading them directly into 6636, but that didn't seem to work.

I have some closed accounts in MINT that are "Not Hidden" and still feed historical transactions into 6366. I downloaded them into CSV files and tried to upload them in 6366. Unfortunately, the imported transactions ended up in 6366(Imported). There are only 17 transaction between 2015 and 2016 in the Imported account. Because of the above, I don't think the re-importing won't work.

Suggestions ???

Thanks

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you are attempting to import transactions into a closed account, it cannot be done. Once an account is closed, it cannot be reopened. There is a feature request asking to reopen a closed account.

You can try importing transactions into a new account and adding a note naming it with the account name you already have linked.

Or you can try what @Coach Natalie suggested "Have you considered deleting one of the accounts and reimporting the data from that account into the remaining account?"

Let us know how it goes.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭
    Options

No UrsulaA. Please re-read my description: > > "If you are attempting to import transactions into a closed account, it cannot be done."

Currently ending up with that and not really workable. Will have 30 Manual accounts: > >"You can try importing transactions into a new account and adding a note naming it with the account name you already have linked. "

I already addressed that suggestion: > > "Or you can try what @Coach Natalie suggested"

Thanks

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭
    Options

Nahhhh… it's not been answered, at least, with a workable solution.

Next try… Can we combine Account 6636 with Account 6636 IMPORTED, WITH NOTHING other than TRANSACTIONS?

Transactions are getting pretty convoluted and the List of Investments is getting pretty darned long. Totally unworkable at this point.

Thanks..

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@neon45, the answer I provided above is the official answer:

Since merging accounts is not currently possible in Quicken Simplifi, and if my suggestion of deleting one of the accounts and then importing the data from that account into the remaining account does not work for you, you can always contact our Support Team directly for more advanced assistance. Chat Support can engage in a screen-sharing session with you so you can walk them through what's going on and they can hopefully help find a more viable solution for you.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

You can also create an Idea post requesting the ability to merge accounts in Quicken Simplifi so other users can vote on it and our product team can review it:

Let us know what you end up doing!

-Coach Natalie

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭
    Options

From my January 23 post:

"I have some closed accounts in MINT that are "Not Hidden" and still feed
    historical transactions into 6366. I downloaded them into CSV files and tried to upload them in 6366. Unfortunately, the imported transactions ended up in 6366(Imported). There are only 17 transaction between 2015 and 2016 in the Imported account. Because of the above, I don't think the re-importing won't work."

So the solution I've found and is working well is modifying my Mint CSV file.

I opened the CSV file I wanted to import, found the account name I wanted to change and changed it to the account I wanted to move it to. Use the "Replace All" choice.

When you save the the CSV file add »» (.)csv at the end of your file name. (ex: 1234 XXX 11-20-2016 to 7-5-2023.CSV.) Save it as a text file. When you import it into your existing SQ account these transactions will be added without creating a new account, assuming you fill out the import screen correctly.

As a safety measure, I renamed the Mint file I modified and used that one.

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭
    Options

After a rocky start things are getting better in my small space. The new, to me, import screen has improved over the last few months. I've been able to import some closed accounts, in Mint, that fed stock transactions into my current accounts.

Changing brokers always leaves a trail of lost, or hard to combine in a relatively easy way, transactions.

In Mint, I reactivated all the closed accounts, when back to the transactions and 10 out of 12 accounts showed transactions. Downloaded them and then imported them into the current account holding those stocks.. etc.

Now, if we could just have a nice little calendar search without doing a report or writing code …. I'm just not running a report just to find a few transaction in a date range.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Minter 2014-2023

This discussion has been closed.