Quarterly pay in varying amounts

Options
Jeffro14
Jeffro14 Member ✭✭

I get quarterly pay that's automatically deposited and that's different amounts each time. When my quarterly paycheck appears in spending plan income, I delete it, then "pay" myself 1/3 each of the quarter's three months. Example: say i get a January 15 paycheck for $21k net. I delete it and set recurring income of $7/mo. When the April 15 quarterly paycheck arrives, we'll say it's $24k net, so I delete it and change the recurring $7k monthly income to $8k monthly income.

Should work with one-time bonuses etc too.

I'm fairly new to simplifi, so folks do you think this will work?

Thanks!

PS not familiar with how these communities work, so I posted this somewhere else a few minutes ago, probably incorrectly--sorry!

Tagged:

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9
    Options

Welcome @Jeffro14 - thanks for your post and welcome to Simplifi. Your workaround described above works for your variable income.

Simplifi also allows the user to set up a custom income amount. I like your method as it allows you to pay attention to the transaction coming in and process it as needed.

We are here to help. I remember one of your prior posts regarding Mint imports. Glad everything got cleaned up for you.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Jeffro14
    Jeffro14 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Ursula!

I do have a related question. I've been using paycheck amounts net of taxes, so I wouldn't have to mess with all the tax issues. Do most users use gross paycheck amounts and then expense the taxes? (I'm not going to be using Simplifi in connection with my tax return)

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Most users use net pay from what I see here. I read posts here about users using gross pay and getting mixed results with it. I personally use net pay and use Simplifi's reports to tag tax deductible expenses.

Minter 2014-2023

• Jeffro14
    Jeffro14 Member ✭✭
    Options

Makes sense. Thanks again!

• Jeffro14
    Jeffro14 Member ✭✭
    Options

Another comment for quarterly pay fluctuating-amounts Spending Plan (see my other post in this thread): an alternative to deleting the paycheck from transactions is to simply exclude it from the Spending Plan. Seems to have exactly same effect either way, but by just excluding the paycheck, then it still does appear in transactions, so you can at least see it.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you exclude the paycheck from the spending plan and then enter custom income for the spending plan? If so, you can have your quarterly income divided by month to spend.

Minter 2014-2023

• Jeffro14
    Jeffro14 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes that's what I do. Exclude the quarterly $21k paycheck from spending plan, then manually "pay" myself $7k/mo in spending plan.

I have to manually calculate monthly "pay" by dividing the net paycheck amount by 3. Same for an IRA RMD (which is one-time, annually), except you divide total by 12 (or the number of remaining months) rather than by 3.

It'd be handy if QS could include a feature where user inputs amount and number of months, and QS spreads it, ie, does the division.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jeffro14 - you can post your idea as a feature request

Idea: Give users options to divide custom income amount by number of months

Content: "It'd be handy if QS could include a feature where user inputs amount and number of months, and QS spreads it, ie, does the division."

Below is a link outlining how to post an idea

Minter 2014-2023

This discussion has been closed.