Mobile app: UI Inconsistency

Options
ajbopp
ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
edited April 15 in Report a Bug

When adding a transaction, there is an inconsistency when editing various fields.

When editing the Payee, there is a field at the top of the screen that tells you what you are editing, and there is a button at the bottom of the screen that says Save.

When editing a tag, there is no indication about what you are editing at the top of the screen and the button at the bottom of the screen says Apply.

I personally prefer displaying what you are editing over not displaying it, and in this case applying your change rather than saving it (since you are, at this point, still able to back out of the edit).

This may be my UI background at work, but I think that in general consistency is the mark of professionalism in software design. It makes the product seem like a single cohesive effort rather than a bunch of individual efforts cobbled together.

Anthony Bopp
Simplifi User Since July 2022
Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited March 15
    Options

@ajbopp, thanks for posting!

I'm not sure that I'm following what you're reporting here. If the issue is that the Payee field has a "Save" button and the Tags field has an "Apply" button, this seems to be by design and is due to the difference between a Payee versus applying Tags, since a Payee is a required field for transactions. If you want to see a change to this, I'd suggest creating an Idea post to request it.

Additionally, when I actually select a Tag in the Tags field, I see "1 selected" and it shows me which one is selected with a checkbox. If you want to see the Tag(s) listed at the top to the left of the number selected, I'd also suggest creating an Idea post for that so users can vote on it.

The only potential bug I'm seeing is that when editing the Tags field, the "Apply" button seems to always be engaged, even when I haven't made any changes or selected a Tag. This might also be by design due to how Tags function, or it may be a minor bug/design flaw.

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

EDIT: I also see now that the Tags page is missing a title. I'm not sure that this is a bug so much as maybe something that was overlooked. I can mention it to the product team, but I'd also suggest creating an Idea post for this if it's one of the items you're referring to, as our product team reviews Idea posts.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Iguess I'm suggesting that when creating a transaction, the only time something gets "saved" is when I save the actual transaction. Until then, all the changes made in any field are "applied," but not saved, and I can exit the add/edit workflow without saving any of the changes I made.

As for the other, i'm suggesting that there's a title for "Edit Payee," but not one for "Edit Tag(s)" and I think there ought to be.

I suspect this is working as designed. Just saying that the design is inconsistent and when I was in software QA, design inconsistencies were entered as bug reports.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

This discussion has been closed.