How can I view monthly average spending by catagory

Options
Bythelake
Bythelake Member
edited March 27 in Categories and Tags

I am new to Simplifi. My reason for budgeting is to be able to view my monthly spending by category. Is there a way to do this in reports? When i view reports it just shows all of the individual transactions of the category for the month. There has to be a way to find this information. When you view monthly summary you only can look at 5 categories. In the spending category it list 8 categories and "Everything Else" I want to see all of the categories and how they compare to the previous months.

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Bythelake

I'm not sure you'll find exactly what you are looking for in the current reports module.

Here is a feature request you may want to add your support to.

In the mean time, perhaps the Watchlist feature can give you something close to what you are looking for. I use Watchlists for each of my top (parent) categories. I also have a Watchlist that tracks all my expense categories, a Watchlist that tracks all my income categories and a Watchlist that combines both all income and all expense categories (The income watchlists are inverse since this feature really is set up to track expenses.)

I suppose you can create a Watchlist for each category if you want the granularity and they you will be able to compare each of the last 11 months with the current month.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • RockLee
    RockLee Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I think that's a good suggestion about using watchlists by @DannyB, but be aware there's a known bug with at least watchlists with all expenses.

• Bythelake
    Options

Thank you Danny for your suggestion.

I set up the watch list but you then need to view each category to get a bearing to your average spending. this might force me to go back to ynab

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'mnot certain exactly what you're looking for, but I suspect something that allows you to see all average amounts together? Something like this?

Simplifi doesn't have anything like this that I know of, and of the top of my head I'm not aware of another request for it (I'm sure I'll be corrected on this) . But I agree it would be useful.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Would a spending report with custom dates for the year give you the same thing?

Rob Wilkens

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Bythelake

I didn’t think Watchlists would give you what you are looking for, but it was the closest thing I could think of.

Don’t know if you ever checked it out, but Quicken Classic has a robust reports feature since it is built for more intensive bookkeeping and accounting. By your “might force you back to YNAB” statement sounds like that’s not something you want to do. Personally I have found Q-Simplifi to be a good fit and it works great for me. The fact that I don’t have to make adjustments to my Spending Plan month in and month out is all I need to tell me my various categories are tracking fairly close over time so don’t feel the need to compare month to month. Again, that’s my personal experience and a reflection of my personal finances for the past 10 years and looking to the foreseeable future.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.