Connect 2 accounts from 1 institution to 2 transactions

Options

I have 2 accounts at 1 institution. When I pay the bills, I pay both of them together. I'd like to link both separate (account) transactions to the combined (1 bill) that I pay. How can this be done so that I don't see a reminder to pay the second (account from the same institution) after linking the first (account from the same institution)?

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28
    Options

Can you clarify this a little more?

Do you have a single bill you are using funds from 2 separate accounts to pay each month? I.e., Electric bill = $500. Pay $250 from account A at BANK OF XYZ; pay $250 from account B at BANK OF XYZ.

If so, I’m not sure you can turn these two separate payments into one reminder. But here are a couple of ideas:

1. Maybe you could set up the reminder to reflect that this bill is paid twice a month. You may still end up with two reminders, but won’t have to delete one.
    2. Set up an auto transfer from one bank account to the other for the amount you now pay separately out of that account and then pay the bill form just one account.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • bklipper
    bklipper Member
    edited March 28
    Options

I have 2 student loans at one institution. Each for a different amount. Both bills are paid to the same Bank, at the same time, in one all-inclusive payment. The bills have different account numbers. Should this be set up as 1 loan instead of 2? I have it set to 2 now and can only link 1 bill to the payment (which is the total of both bills).

(Example: Loan 1 is for $235 at Bank A, Loan 2 is for $365 at Bank A)

Payment is made to bank A for $600. This payment is for Loan 1 and Loan 2. When I match a payment to a bill in Simplifi, only one of the 2 bills can be linked to the $600 payment.

How do I set it up so that both bills Loan 1 and Loan 2 can be linked to the one transaction reflected in Simplifi?

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@bklipper, since linking a transaction to a Reminder is a 1:1 scenario in Quicken Simplifi, meaning you can't link multiple Reminders to a single transaction, have you considered setting the Recurring Series up as a single item to match the single payment? After the Reminder is linked to the transaction, you can split the transaction to account for the separate amounts by creating separate Categories for each loan that's being paid, or perhaps even using Tags.

Please let us know how this works for you!

-Coach Natalie

• bklipper
    bklipper Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie that's an interesting idea. Let me try that. Thank you for thinking out of the box!

Would you please put in a recommendation to look into something like this? I understand 1:1, but I'd prefer not to go in and change/update every month. Will you please look into the possibility of 2:1? That would be ideal.

Thank you

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@bklipper, glad to help!

It looks like we have an existing request for the ability to link multiple transactions to a single Reminder:

However, I don't see one for the ability to link multiple Reminders to a single transaction. I'd suggest creating one so other users can vote on it.

Once done, please post a link here in case other users come across this discussion! Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.