Using splits (multiple categories) in Recurring Transactions (4 Merged Votes)

Options

Comments

• Diver4242
    Diver4242 Member ✭✭
    Options

This is a really essential need. Please implement this!

• Father Patrick
    Options

I looked like there is quite a bit of interest in adding the ability to split categories in recurring transactions. I agree that since it is already an option in the software for regular transactions it would be relatively simple to make the change in recurring ones as well.

It seems unconscionable that this is not on radar for being accomplished. Simplifi is losing users because a commonly available feature is not even being considered at this time.

• C3romagnon
    C3romagnon Member
    Options

Don't know if I would have chosen Simplifi if I realized that this essential feature is missing. I vote for this memorized transactions using split categories be implemented!

• Dan T
    Dan T Member
    Options

Any update on this? Just switched over from Quicken Desktop and running both for a while to see which I prefer. Too many glitches in Desktop and not enough features with Simplifi…

• Diver4242
    Diver4242 Member ✭✭
    Options

Exactly. It seems Quicken is letting the flagship product and it's antiquated transaction download broken model go to pasture, which is fine, but build a few of these important features we need into Simplifi quickly, please. Not the whole bloated mess that's in Quicken, but at least essential things like this.

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have a need to connect a recurring transaction to a part of a split transaction. The reason for this is a recurring income (monthly) which comes via check. If I ever deposit more than one check at a time, I need to Split the transaction to categorize the different checks in the deposit. However, I can't link the specific check to the recurring income transaction.

• Dave P
    Dave P Member
    Options

lack if this feature is simply shocking! I just started using simplifi this month and this missing feature is a 100% show stopper. I will be calling for a refund and looking else where. Very disappointing! Love the other features but this is a critical and non-negotiable feature for us since so many bills and income streams are split reoccurring transactions.

• altonwb
    Options

I was very surprised, and disappointed, to learn that Simplifi does not have the capability to have recurring transactions that can be split into multiple categories. If I want to split my paycheck into the different categories on my pay statement, I have to do it manually each time and my paycheck cannot be a recurring transaction. Does anyone know if there are plans to change this and allow splits for recurring transactions?

• C3romagnon
    C3romagnon Member
    Options

Upvote for recurring split transactions, this is something that keeps me from recommending Simplifi. Payroll, insurance, loans all need to remember split transactions.

• MinB
    MinB Member ✭✭
    Options

Is it still not possible to split recurring transactions? I came here to find out how to set that up, and it looks like this thread is 2.5 years old. Is this feature going to be added?

• JayT
    JayT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@MinB That is correct. It is still not possible to split recurring transactions. Apparently, the feature was submitted for "review" near the end of 2022 (per the status update on this thread).

@Coach Natalie are there any updates you can share with us on this very requested feature? Thanks!

• BrianNJ
    Options

I have been waiting for this feature all year as my Quicken desktop renewal is coming up in a month. I have been a Quicken desktop user for decades and have grown completely frustrated with it because it is unstable and the way it connects to accounts and bills is always broken or having issues. So I have been trying Simplifi as this seems to be the route quicken has taken to invest in growing features and membership. The lack of this feature is why I still have Quicken desktop and at this point I probably won't renew and just go to something free like Mint, which also lacks the feature, but it is free.

I can't imagine it being so difficult to be able to set up reoccurring transactions with splits or making a special type of transaction for paychecks that allows you to split it if you want to.

I would like to know if there are any plans to actually implement this requested feature.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I doubt the issue is difficulty. Rather, I suspect it's a matter of prioritization. There are a lot of features that various users say "this should be easy," but collectively it's hard to do all of those things at the same time. Decisions have to be made about "this before that."

Many of those decisions involve aspects of the system we never see, issues that are found by the internal QA team that prevents a new release no matter what it contains, for instance. Or heavily requested features that don't exist yet, or even important things that are not requested as much (re-vamping the entire code base to significantly improve performance comes to mind).

Remember, it's easy to say "this should be easy" and "this should be a priority," but we don't get to see the project's work backlog (nor should we) and, in my opinion, it is not appropriate as a user to stamp our foot and insist that we get what we want right now (or even by some arbitrary deadline).

All that being said, my own priorities for changes (based on what little I know) is as follows:

1. Make the cash flow report reflect what I actually project to spend, rather than just income, bills, subscriptions. (My primary reason for having a banking app like this is to see what the future looks like. Without a clear picture of the future, I can't make reasonable decisions in the present. Not including Savings Goals or Planned Spending in the Cash Flow gives me a very blurry picture.)
    2. Make Savings Goals actually present correct information, rather than the erroneous information they do now (anything that shows incorrect information should never have been published to begin with, but if it is, it should be a huge priority to change it so that it's correct).
    3. Allow me to split scheduled transactions. (It may be even a lower priority than 3 for me personally, but I haven't put much thought into it - it's annoying, but not a deal-breaker to me like the first two items. By that I mean that without being able to split, I can still account for the full amount of what I intend to spend, so that I can see an accurate reflection in the Cash Flow report. Having to edit the transaction after it's complete to note the separate categories is a bit of a time sink and I wish I didn't have to do it, but I'd rather do that than have an incomplete cash flow report as it exists today.)

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@BrianNJ If you can make Mint work for you, I would suggest using that (assuming you're okay with them selling your financial data to marketers, which pays for it - but then most of us have given up on privacy). Every couple of months I try mint out (and some others) and it just doesn't work for me. I find it frustrating and It doesn't do anything I need, it's a summary of my spending according to the bank. I mean, chase ( my bank ) lets me link external accounts and see transactions in them, that's almost as useful as mint is.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

BTW, i'm firmly of the mind that when you're choosing between software/online-services, you should base your decision on what they do now, not what you'd like them to do. If this software doesn't meet your needs and another one does, if I were you I would use the one that meets your needs best (today).

Rob Wilkens

• Diver4242
    Diver4242 Member ✭✭
    Options

Keep in mind this one particular feature request is by far the most upvoted, so that has to mean something, hopefully, to the Simplifi/Quicken team.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

It's actually only the third most upvoted. This idea post has only 65% upvotes of the second place idea, and 57% of the top vote getter. Just 30% of the top two idea posts combined.

Not that this means something. It doesn't. We don't know what we don't know. They might be needing to devote significant effort toward reducing data transfer costs, or current (or planned) regulatory issues., or who knows what.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• krames
    krames Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

This request has been around awhile and has a significant number of votes. I am personally still very interested in this feature. Can you revisit putting this on the roadmap?

• cncb
    cncb Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, please. I did the splits twice until I figured out that trying to set up a recurring income transaction would erase the splits!

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Great point @RobWilk about selecting software based on what it currently does. That’sa good reminder.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • SBM
    Options

Please implement splitting categories on recurring transactions or series!!

• simplira
    simplira Member ✭✭
    Options

can’t even setup paycheck without this. Please register my vote as well. Can’t seem to vote.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Someone pointed out Simplifi can only split based on the amount of a transaction, so if you're looking to track your paycheck deductions, it may not work out for you even if there were split in recurring transactions

Rob Wilkens

• BillM
    BillM Member
    Options

Current functionality only allows a single transaction field in recurring transactions. In many instances, a recurring transaction must be split to account for different categories and/or tags.

Allowing splits in recurring transactions would save time and prevent missed/erroneous entries in those transactions that currently have to be manually manipulated each month.

• Bill G
    Options

I agree with others. Recurring transaction series need to be able to be split

• Philk
    Philk Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

[removed]

I am once again finding yet another no brainer suggestion to a problem that has annoyed me for all the same reasons as the other 171 folks who voted for this.

This suggestion is over 4 Years old. It took nearly 3 years to reach review status….and it has been in review for well over a year…and still no word from Simplifi.

How long must this community wait for the review decision?

It's gained another 68 supporters since Natalie's last post a year ago.

-Phil-

Former Quicken Desktop user 1984 -2023. Currently Testing Simplifi as its replacement.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This idea came from the post below and after I looked at the support article regarding pre-paycheck deductions that states that one has to split a paycheck each time it comes down.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5983781-how-to-track-pre-deposit-paycheck-deductions

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited December 2023
    Options

@UrsulaA, thanks for the suggestion!

It sounds like you're looking for what's been requested here if you're referring to Recurring Income Series' specifically: [removed link to merged thread]

If you're referring to manual transactions, we have a request here for quickfill that you can add your feedback to regarding the ability to use quickfill with splits:

Please let us know if either of these existing requests works for you. Otherwise, please provide more detail as to what specifically you're looking for in Quicken Simplifi; the more detail you provide will help rally votes from other users, as well as paint a clear picture for our product team.

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Yes, merge this thread with this one. I tried searching but did not find it. Thanks for the help. 😊

[removed link to merged thread]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present