Schwab Equity Award accounts are no longer being imported!

budgetj75
budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭

I have an Equity Award account at Schwab. This was working fine until about a week ago.

A week ago, it showed a "!" next to the account and suggested I relink it.

So I tried several steps: relink from the !, reset connection, make all manual, delete institution and re-add.

The Schwab API consent screen shows the Equity Award account (1 out 6 total), but when Simplifi imports the accounts, it's missing, and only shows the others (5).

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @budgetj75,

Thanks for reaching out! I apologize for the recent trouble you have had. Can you share a screenshot showing the issue in Quicken Simplifi? Additionally, have there been any changes to the bank's website that you may know of?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• budgetj75
    budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭

No, there haven't been any changes that I'm aware of. Resetting the connection, the consent screen looks the same as always.

The Schwab API consent screen shows 6 accounts:

But Simplifi is only linking 5:

The last from the Schwab list is an Equity Award account. I still have it in Simplifi (as a manual account), but Simplifi is no longer showing it during account linking. This has been working since I joined back in December and stopped working recently (last 2 weeks maybe).

• Coach Jon

Hello @budgetj75,

Thanks for the information. Have you reset the connection for the financial institution itself? I am wondering if Quicken Simplifi thinks that the account is already connected, so doing this may allow you to re-link the mentioned account after the reset. https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4857199-how-to-reset-your-account-connections

Let us know!

-Coach Jon

• budgetj75
    budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭

Yes, several time. As I said:

1. I have tried the suggeted "!" fix, which basically all account are already linked.
    2. I tried "reset" (under Settings→Accounts), which are the screenshots of that flow.
    3. I have also tried making all the accounts manual, fully deleting the institution and re-adding.

None of these brought back the 6th account.

• Coach Jon

Hello @budgetj75,

Thanks for the reply. Have you verified on the bank's website that the account is set up for third-party sharing? I have seen in the past where an account has not had the necessary permissions required to share to Quicken Simplifi. If you verify this is not the cause, can you please supply the below information as well? You may directly message me if that is your preference.

• Has there been any activity in the account in the last 90 days?
    • Is the account considered an external account (i.e. are you redirected to a different website when selecting the account on the bank's website)? If so, what URL are you redirected to?
    • Is the account a subtype of a different account?
    • Has the bank made any recent changes to its website or sign-in process?
    • Are you the owner of the account?
    • The name of the account, as it appears on the bank's website.
    • If the issue is occurring on an existing Quicken Simplifi account, the name of the account as it appears in Quicken Simplifi.
    • A screenshot of the Accounts Summary page from the bank's website (the page that lists all accounts and balances - feel free to redact any private info) that has a wide enough scope to show the page URL (this must be taken from a web browser and not a mobile browser).
    • A screenshot of the Add Account screen in Quicken Simplifi showing that the account in question is missing at account discovery.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• budgetj75
    budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭

Sent you a PM, thanks!

• Coach Jon

Hello @budgetj75,

Thanks for the DM. I did notice the URL wasn't included in the screenshot of the Account Summary page. Please provide a new screenshot with that included, please.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• budgetj75
    budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭

Added. BTW, Schwab accounts are not being scraped, but appear to use a Schwab provided API (so the URL of the account pages shouldn't matter).

• samby
    samby Member

Hi Jon, I have this same issue and reported it via chat. I provided all the screenshots to Coach Fernando. This was all reported on 8/5/24. Please keep us updated on the status of this.

• Coach Jon

Hello @budgetj75,

I have some steps for you to try! Please follow the below steps to generate a new OAuth token with Schwab:

1. Navigate to the bank's website, sign in, and then remove Quicken's access from the bank's third-party linked apps.
    2. Navigate back to Quicken Simplifi and make all of the accounts with this bank manual by following the steps here.
    3. Once you see the account(s) listed in the Manual Accounts section under Settings > Accounts, go back through the Add Account flow to reconnect to the bank.
    4. Carefully link the account(s) found to your existing Quicken Simplifi account(s) by following the steps here.

Thanks for reaching out @samby. Usually, you would want to reach out to the original channel that reported the issue for you, but you can also try the steps I provided above. To reach back out to the original channel, you would go to the Help Center, and then select Messages there.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Coach Jon

@budgetj75,

I also found this information regarding Schwab's OAuth API connection, and it does contain limitations. Does your situation qualify for those limitations? https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6997452-new-and-improved-way-to-connect-to-your-financial-institution-oauth-api#h_ee2233bd33

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• budgetj75
    budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭

It does, but as I said it was working fine up until 2 weeks. Is this limitation new?

• Coach Jon

Hello @budgetj75,

Thanks for the reply. These limitations are not new. To clarify your reply, are you stating that your account does not meet the criteria available to download, or that it does?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• samby
    samby Member

I tried your workaround and it is still only seeing my Individual brokerage account and not my Equity Awards. It always worked in the past, since I opened my Simplifi account in December.

• Coach Jon

Hello @samby,

In that case, I would definitely suggest reaching back out to the original channel you escalated your issue with to see if they have further steps for you to try!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• budgetj75
    budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 9

I doubt this is about steps to try. Something changed which makes this integration worse. It may be useful if this could be escalated and any changes reverted.

• Coach Jon

Hello @budgetj75,

I understand, however, we will need you to try the steps I provided previously before we can start the escalation process.

Please let us know if those steps work for you and whether your account meets the criteria for download I provided prior as well!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• budgetj75
    budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 9

Ok, I just did this. At Schwab this is under "Security Setting" → "Linked Apps and Websites". I removed Quicken ("Stop Linking to All Accounts"). I made all the accounts manual, and removed the institution. I re-added, but again, only 5 of the accounts are showing.

• Coach Jon

Hello @budgetj75,

You mentioned that your account is an Equity Award account. What type of account is that? (Brokerage, IRA, 401(k), Line of Credit, Loans, etc.)

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• budgetj75
    budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭

In a employee stock plan. It's listed in that help article as "not supported" (RSUs), but is that change new?

This has been working for flawlessly for 8 months, and stopped working 2 weeks ago.

• Coach Jon

Hello @budgetj75,

Since the account type is unsupported, we won't be able to escalate the issue. Due to the limitation in the Schwab API, I would suggest contacting Schwab themselves for this issue to see if they can see why your account is no longer working via that API.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• budgetj75
    budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭

This is not a limitation in the Schwab API, since the Schwab API makes this account type available (see the screen shot) for sharing. And, it was working and stopped working. This is clearly a regression of some type.

• Coach Jon

Hello @budgetj75,

I definitely understand your frustration, but if the account type is unsupported by the API, we cannot escalate the issue. I would still suggest contacting Schwab.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• budgetj75
    budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭

Your documentation says it's unsupported (not Schwab's). Schwab's API documentation doesn't say this, and their API authorization screen clearly shows the account as available. I just registered for API access for my own account, and I don't see this being unsupported on Schwab's side.

• Coach Jon

Hello @budgetj75,

I apologize for not being able to do anything further from our end but we can't escalate something from our end that's documented as being unsupported. I still believe contacting the bank will be your best bet at this juncture since it is their API we use to connect.

Thanks, and please let us know what Schwab says!

-Coach Jon 

• budgetj75
    budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭

This is not a very customer focused response. The bank supports this account type, period (it's in their docs). Contacting them will simply result in them telling me that they support the account type. It's your documentation that states you don't support it, but that's false or incorrect, because it worked for the past 9 months. So you're saying that a product feature regression is an expected norm for Simplifi?

• Having the same problem. Is there a way to escalate this to someone else with a better understanding of the issue? I think Coach Jon doesn't realize this was working as intended since inception and only recently stopped working with equity awards accounts.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

@itsjafer, as Coach Jon directed above, you will also want to contact Charles Schwab regarding this issue. We can see from our end that the account type you're referring to is not supported. If the account was working until recently, it's likely that Schwab changed or finalized something on their end since it's their API we use to connect.

Please let us know how things go with Schwab. Gathering a ticket number from them may be helpful on our end as well. For now, however, we will not be escalating this from our end since the account is not supported from what we can tell.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• Steffi
    Steffi Member

Same problem here. Was working 2-3 wks. ago now missing one account. so frustrated

• I'm having the same problem. Was working a few weeks ago for me as well. Very annoying issue and I don't have much use for this app if I'm not able to view all my accounts. Hope this gets fixed soon or I'll have to explore other alternatives.