Welcome Mint Users!

Options

Comments

• Rebecca Speer
    Options

Citibank doesn't sync due to glitch involving 2-factor authentication. A review of community comments shows that this problem has existed for years without resolution. Really puzzling. I don't think I can switch to Simplifi due to this problem. How can a problem with a major bank go on for years?

• MWA
    MWA Member ✭✭
    Options

Mint refugee as well and I was able to import all of my Mint transactions into Simplifi. No issues so far connecting to accounts although I'd like to see auto connections to Zillow and KBB in the future.

IMO, the user interface could use a few tweaks :

1. Offer other themes besides just light and dark
    2. Indent individual accounts under each grouping for better visibility or identify groupings better
    3. More Quicken Classic-like transaction registers, maybe alternate colors on every other line with even a more compact view
    4. Ability to change fonts

All for now but so far a really good experience.

• JWV
    JWV Member ✭✭
    Options

Mint worked with Apple Credit Card. All data synched just like any other credit card from Citibank, Chase, etc. Why not SIMPLIFI?

• Thedude1980
    Thedude1980 Member ✭✭
    Options

I just got done importing my Mint data. I agree the lag in correcting categories is very slow and annoying. I think Simplifi is pretty good so far, but I give the edge to Monarch for importing from Mint. Their Chrome extension made it very easy. I also like Monarchs roadmaps option to vote on what users want them to prioritize. I bought Simplifi because the price was right. Not sure which one I'll stick with. Giving both a shot for a year to see how it pans out. I don't think 1 month is enough to really determine which is better for individual situations. Both have potential and both are better than Mint for no advertisements alone. I didn't realize how annoying that was until I got away from it. I stopped using Mint like I used to because it was so riddled with junk I didn't want to see. So kudos to Simplifi and Mint for going down a deferent path. I don't mind paying for a better product. Nothing is actually free anyway.

• dsfreddy
    dsfreddy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie suggested Mint users post feedback here. Thanks for that. Reading through all this feedback makes me realize that I am in no way a power user of Mint, and won't be a power user of Simplifi. But I appreciate Simplifi welcoming Mint users and being given an opportunity to try the product. Anyway, here is my two cents:

1. Transition - Connecting nine institutions was smooth. I connected, then deleted, Vanguard. Didn't like how those transactions showed up in Simplifi.
    2. Transaction import - Skipped it. Too much work. I did import all Mint data once. Then scrapped that effort and started over. I'm going to do a clean slate as of 1/1/2024. I don't really look at historic spending inside Mint. I don't track my net worth inside Mint. I track transactions and monthly spending, that is about it.
    3. I like Simplifi's spending report. I also like the transaction data display, with some caveats. More about that infra.
    4. The account section on the left of the dashboard needs work. Assets at the top, then liabilities, please. Improve readability.
    5. Split transactions in export needs work, as I've said elsewhere.
    6. Date filter for transactions needs to be implemented. The collapse/expand/checkbox method of selecting by date is clunky.

Even at $4 a month, I'm going to be sensitive to Simplifi's responsiveness on such issues. No ads is great. I believe I am funding people to maintain and improve the product. I'd like something in return for my money.

Thanks,

Dan (Simplifi User Since November 21!)

• zgoldstein
    Options

I'm just starting to import my accounts from Mint and get the transactions set up. So far the import tool is very disappointing in terms of categorization. Transactions are importing the correct category from Mint 50% of the time, at best. As a result, I still need to go through each and every transaction to confirm they're correctly categorized.

I'd hoped to pull over my full 10 years of history, but given how time consuming that is I need to give up on that (unless Simplifi can provide a fix). At this point I'm planning to revise the past year of transactions and ignore everything older.

• Sandee
    Sandee Member ✭✭
    Options

i ended up appending the Zmint category to the notes field before importing. At least then I had a reference to the mint category in Simplifi.

• Fletcherr
    Fletcherr Member ✭✭
    Options

If you put your mint categories in the 'tags' field on import you can use that as a filter to help mass re-categorizing. Unfortunately once you connect an account and it pulls in as much history as it can find (was 2 years on most of mine) then you can't ever re-import into that same account even if you delete them all because simplifi treats them as dupes and has no 'overwrite' option. The only workaround I've found for that is to create 'archive' accounts to import the old transactions into, recategorize everything then close them out and manage all 'new' transactions in the live connected version of the account. That's a crappy workaround but at least you can get your split transactions in there and have some level of historical category data. I'm going to ride out my free trial waiting for rollover budgets that they claim to be "working hard to implement" and if that is not implemented I'll just continue with monarch.

• Hi. I am new to Simplifi. Transitioning from Mint. In MINT, I had the ability to adjust my current month's income with the left over balance from the previous month. Looks that that is not possible in Simplifi. I've been told that Quicken Classic does support it. However, it would be great if the same could be done in Simplifi.

• Denali
    Denali Member
    Options

Hi, I was with Mint for at least 10 years. I was very nervous at first when I heard they were shutting down. However, now I'm seeing it as a whole new opportunity to change the way I am bucketing my expenses and tracking my money.

I am so glad I found Simplifi. I love the watch lists. I think the canned reports are good. The import from Mint went fine.

There is one Mint feature I am struggling with doing without. Its the "Bills" widget. Mint lists out for me all my credit cards with their balances, next payment due date, credit limit, and amount of full statement balance due. It's ordered by date due so it's easy to see what payments are coming up next. I really rely on this information to ensure I have enough in my spending accounts to pay my cc bills.

I don't understand why Simplifi doesn't sweep this data into the UI. I don't understand the Simplifi "spending plan" and setting up bunches of little transactions as "recurring" when I just pay for them all by credit card anyway (and the amount of these "recurring" expenses changes each month). To me, the methodology around the spending plan should be your spending account value minus any recurring expenses not charged to credit cards minus your credit card bills (maybe users can choose between minimum payment or pay in full).

It could be that I just need to try harder to learn the spending plan tool. But either way, the credit card data is sorely missed and there are no apps that provide this consolidated credit card data, that I can find, other than Prism. Prism has a lot of connection issues and it takes many clicks per CC account to dig into payment in full balances so I am not finding it super helpful.

If Simplifi could provide this consolidated credit card data I would be on cloud 9. Either way I really like Simplifi so far. Thank you for this app and the opportunity to provide feedback.

• michfromflorida
    Options

I’m with you on many of your points. Was anxious at first to leave Mint, now I have embraced Simplifi. Watchlists and reporting quite helpful.

I have my annually recurring bills set up and I like being able to look ahead to see what’s coming. I too struggle with Spending Plan but it now matches my homegrown spreadsheet. I like it when I can get an app to do the heavy lifting for me.

• NAnaNAnaNAna_shatMAN
    Options

Coming from mint, the two biggest things I'd like to see are

1. A better import experience. It seems that any existing transactions that are pulled from my account have their categories and labels/tags ignored when coming from Mint (so I have to redo everything). Look at this great tool Monarch has for their import () - it does exactly what I wanted Simplifi to do… ask me how categories in mint should map to my new categories, and also ask which should be a higher priority - Mint data or the stuff pulled from my account.
    2. I didn't even realize there was no budget roll over, and while this is not a deal breaker for me, it would be a nice addition and it's a red flag that such a simple and useful feature doesn't exist already and makes me question what else Simplifi is missing.

All that said, the 50% off deal that I got for a year of Simplifi and the fact that it is less than Monarch will likely have me staying here and trying it out for a bit. If I don't like it, I'm out the year subscription, but I have a feeling if I choose to leave Simplifi for Monarch, they would be able to import my mint data that i'll hold on to, plus anything from Simplifi.

• SandyG
    SandyG Member
    Options

I am a Mint user since 2015. I started fresh with Simplifi and had no problem linking all my accounts and scrubbing my categories. So I was hopeful until I tried to initiate my Dec 2023 Spending Plan. Very frustrated that I cannot build a Spending Plan. I have tried everything, but adding bills, subscriptions, Planned Spending items, Income, Other Spending, NOTHING is posting. I keep getting "An error occurred. Please try again." followed by "Sorry, but we were unable to make your changes."

Now I see a Known Issue - ARGH! I sure hope it gets repaired soon.

I'm still on the fence. I haven't had a Mint issue since 2015.

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I switched from Mint to Simplifi 4 days ago.They have excellent instructions for importing from Mint, Credit Karma allows only 3 years. There is a slight learn curve but over all I have found Simplifi to be superior to Mint. The support is excellent. I have a GM card that sold to capital one and then to Marcus that I could not add to Mint. Support chatted me trough adding the card to Simplifi. Marcus Credit Card did not work but just plain Marcus worked. I have had one major problem, Mint supported Apple Card and Simplifi only support Manual adding and uploading which sucks. Here is hopping for Apple Card support soon.

• rcbell
    Options

I'm also a Mint immigrant, using it for almost 10 years now. The lack of a rollover expense alone is a dealbreaker. If it doesn't show up soon, I'm out. I also noticed the lag in responsiveness and that will be quite painful for me.

• Dow
    Dow Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I’m doing research to decide whether Simplifi will be the right change for me due to the sunsetting of Mint. 

With Citibank being where my most active accounts exist, if Rebecca’s issue above is true, I may need to find something else.

Regarding the cost, I did find through Time article published 2 days ago (11/30/23) about 3-month free trial for existing Mint users, but I couldn’t find that offer through Quicken website link provided in article, through App Store & Simplifi app information, or through Quicken when creating an account. Is this offer still available?

@Coach Natalie or others - can you provide any feedback and/or resources to assist?

Thanks.

• Simpleton
    Options

I'm transitioning from Mint and find Simplifi an acceptable replacement for my needs. I track investments and net worth on my own spreadsheets and don't use a budget. I'm retired and use it primarily to monitor for fraudulent transactions, and monitor cash flow.

There are three things which could be better for me, but it's not a big deal:

1. I get a warning when logging in on my PC because DashLane (password keeper) does not like the popup window. Here's the message: "Make sure you trust this site, as this form might be coming from a different domain." If you used a login screen with unified username and password entries, this would be simpler for me as I could login with one click instead of the 4 or 5 it takes me now. I realize I could click "Keep me logged in" but that's too risky for me.
    2. I use my trailing 12 month spending to forecast my future spending. You have selections for every period except last 12 months. Also, when I select "This year" for net income, I must next click "Apply dates" before the operation completes. This seems redundant- clicking this year should just show this year without having to click again to apply the dates- the term is unambiguous.
    3. Mint made it easy to track the value of home and cars for when I do my net worth tracking on my own sheets. I could go to those sources myself, but it would be handy if Simplifi had that tracking feature built in.

Thanks for your interest in how the transition from Mint is going.

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Been using Simplifi for a couple weeks now.

• Transition itself was relatively painless. I decided not to bother importing my entire Mint history, and just linked my accounts and took the history they had in them. I had no closed accounts so my 2023 data was all the same as what was in Mint.
      • A lot of things were miscategorized, which is probably unavoidable but the most painful part to fix. Any kind of wizard tool to categorize any newly added accounts would be nice.
    • I like the fact that it has cashflow forecasting, something I missed during my years with Mint. I had that way back in the day when I used Microsoft Money and am glad it is back in my life.
    • It seems to track my individual investments better than mint did. Mint struggled with things like what my 401k was invested in.
    • While I can see the benefits of how spending plans and watchlists work, they do add things a standard budget doesnt, the lack of a traditional budget still feels like a miss to me.
      • I dislike that I can't separate the top level of a category from its components in a watchlist. EX I would "want" electronics to be in a different watchlist than the rest of Shopping. But putting the top Shopping in one requires all subcategories.
      • There are things that are not even every month, loved Mint's ability to roll overages and underages over to the next month. Like if I want to budget 3000 a year for travel I can see that a lot better in Mint than I can with a watchlist in Simplifi. Similarly for a bill like electricity which is going to be higher in the summer than winter. I can budget the average, but its not as good.
    • My transactions dont seem to be auto-linking to their related recurring bills. Not sure if that is user error but if not then I dislike that I have to manually link them each time.
    • Really dislike that savings goals can't include brokerage accounts.
    • Dislike that I cannot mark a bill as "payment scheduled" vs not. I have a couple bills I have to manually pay each month, and I schedule them for their payment date. But I can never remember if I have done that.
    • What is important to me:
      • A full picture of my finances and net worth (not just my checking account/bills, which is why some of the alternatives dont work well)
      • Bill reminders (including whether I have scheduled my payments)
      • Tracking where my money has been spent.
      • Budgeting what I want to spend for large expenses on an annual basis
      • Tracking investment performance (I'm not a day trader, if I was I would likely use other specialized tools)

• Euchre King
    Options

I had to turn my second authentication factor (SMS) off at Citibank to link the account to Simplifi. Not thrilled about this but I use my Citi card for all purchases and had to link it. I can't believe that this problem has existed for "years".

• dg1
    dg1 Member
    Options

Hello there. I worked through the process to import everything and explore Simplifi. I really want to like the platform, but after importing a significant number of transactions, the platform began to run so slowly that it has become unusable. I typically would not abandon something for just one issue like this, but I simply can't use the system when it takes 10-12 seconds after every transaction update to refresh and be ready for the next input. The system has also begun to crash on me regularly.

For these reasons, I am canceling my account and moving on to another software.

• Thedude1980
    Thedude1980 Member ✭✭
    Options

How did you undo the mint import? I would actually like to start with a clean slate myself but already imported the data.

• Tomasu
    Tomasu Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

So far, here are my two biggest pain points in the transition from Mint:

• doesn't support import of daily balance data. Would be really nice to have to have, so that net worth shows historic data
    • you can't select and attach multiple transaction to a recurring series in one action. Simplifi did not catch many of the recurring transactions correctly, but I really love their UI on this feature, once the data is set up.

• dsfreddy
    dsfreddy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I deleted all accounts. That deleted all transactions, including imported. I would guess that is as close to a clean slate as you can get, without creating a new simplifi/quicken account.

• PAA1958
    Options

I really liked the Mint spending tracking. It was easy to set a monthly spend amount for a category and then actual transactions to go against those categories. Seems more labor intensive to set up the budgets in Simplifi. As I'm a new user, time will tell how the tracking will work but the comments seem to indicate that the reporting is not very strong.

• Charlie O
    Options

As a former Mint user learning the new interface, my Simplifi wish list has been stated by other ex-Mint folks on this message board. One additional wish list point I may have missed on prior comments…

I extensively used Mint for analyzing YTD spending $ vs YTD budgeted $. So I knew where I was at YTD vs the balance of the year's budget. I do not see that feature with the Simplifi spending plan interface - the Simplifi spending plans only seem to be built with a monthly view? YTD spending plan analysis capability could be the deal maker / breaker for me with Simplifi.

• Denali
    Denali Member
    Options

FYI on YTD spending in case this helps - I set up watchlists for the categories I am concerned about and want to monitor. I like the watch lists because they give me current month, YTD, and average monthly spending. Maybe Simplifi will add monthly rollover here for the many people who are requesting that data, I don't know. I am embracing moving away from the monthly rollover simply because my budget is pretty fluid and it's ok if I'm over or under budget for a category so long as my monthly spending is pretty much on track. The YTD and average monthly spending is much more useful to me for my circumstances.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

I am a new mint user, started with Simplifi in the middle of November. I only brought in two years of data, as that is what Wells Fargo synched initially. I imported about 2 years of Mint data for my credit cards easily thanks to the updated tool with Mint categories included. I imported all of my Mint data for some credit cards around November 14 when the categories did not come over. That was a nightmare and I opted to start again with a smaller batch of imported data.

I echo the comment above, I want to ensure my monthly spending overall is on track. Some improvements I see on Simplifi are:

Split transactions: Make them like Mint, where a transaction will become two separate lines with a split icon. Makes it easy to tag or hide one split if needed.

Exclude from reports and spending plan transactions in bulk: Monarch allowed this and Mint too via its Hide from Budgets and Trends category.

Expand the date range limit for web reports to more than 5 years

Allow a filter of transactions in the transaction list (not reports where this already exists) by date range on the web app. This is available on the mobile app.

I voted for the split transactions and the bulk edit to exclude transactions from reports and spending plans. I will vote for the other two features once I find them in the Community.

I am grateful that Simplifi has investment transactions, connects to the banks and brokers I use, and gives me a global transaction list with the accounts listed next to the transactions. I am getting used to the spending plan and the spending watchlist.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This item discouraged me from importing my all my Mint data to Simplifi together with the lack of category imports earlier this month. As we stay with Simplifi, we need to have more than 5 years on the web browser, like the IOS app seems to have. Thanks!

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yea this is what I wound up doing to but IMO its not as easy to review as the way Mint did it. I think more due to the visuals and the lack of rollups. In Mint I could set 50 for clothes and 200 for shopping for example. And when i check my spending I see them together and how one rolls up to the other, so overspending on clothes reduces how much I have left for other shopping. In Simplifi I have to set up two separate watchlists if I want to see both. they may or may not even be next to each other, and it isnt visually apparent that they are related I just have to remember it. The watchlist boxes take up a lot of screen real estate too so its a lot of scrolling to find them all. Visually, its a mess. Maybe its fine mechanically if they can improve the screen.