Allow a manual update of the balance on manual accounts (edited)

scottnliz
scottnliz Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in Feature Requests
I’ve manually added a bank that isn’t yet supported (HMBradley) but I haven’t found a way to update the balance to keep it in sync with my actual balance.  Is there a way to do this?  

I would also like to be able to update the balances/value for manually added items like property or unsupported loans.
34 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited March 2023

Hello @scottnliz,

Thanks for posting your suggestion to the Community!

In regards to keeping a manual account balance in sync with your bank balance, this is accomplished by manually entering the transactions that took place into the register so that the data would match what your bank has, including the balance.

I have, however, turned this into an Idea post requesting the ability to manually update the balance of a manual account so other users can vote on it and our Product Team can review it. Please be sure to add your vote as well!

-Coach Natalie

• some_guy
    some_guy Member
    edited April 2021
    the important point here is that an asset account can have a change in value due to a transaction or due to a change in the asset value. seems to me that manual accounts would be either a cash balance account (transaction updates) or an asset account (asset transactions and asset marking changes)
  • purdnost
    purdnost Member ✭✭✭✭
    I inadvertently added a handful of debt accounts as positive values, and instead of being able to simply update those values, I had to delete and recreate them all. If I can adjust “Opening Balance” transactions, I would think I should be able to do the same with any account type.
  • If I have an error I cannot find, I create an uncategorized adjustment transaction to fix it, and give it the tag "adjustment". I hide it from reports and spending. By giving it that tag, I can search through transactions and find any adjustments I've made over time if feel I need to do that. I would definitely rather know where the error occurred and fix that, but with just getting started in Simplifi I'm not going back 3 years to try to find a $3.26 mistake in my Apple Card account after importing 36 months of transactions via .csv one month at a time. 

I don't think that Simplifi could ever add manual balance adjustment. I defies the most basic premise of finance software. For those who used Quicken, recall that if you were reconciling a statement and the balance in your Quicken account didn't match the statement, if you clicked "finish" in the reconcile window Quicken created an adjustment transaction to zero out the unknown mistake. There is no other way to do it. That's how accounting works--balances only adjust with transactions. It isn't an arbitrary decision where you can just change the balance. Even with manually created accounts, the most we could hope for is the ability to adjust the opening balance, and please can we get that? I only have one manual account and I don't even see the opening balance in the register. Perhaps I set it at zero knowing that I was importing my transaction history, but why would there not be an opening balance entry in the register even if zero was entered?

• worten777
    worten777 Member

Good afternoon Natalie. I have the same issue. Can I change balance or opening balance manually on my manual added accounts, without added transactions?

• Coach Natalie

@worten777, yes, you can either enter transactions to keep the balance up to date or change the amount of the opening balance transaction to the current value. 🙂

I'm not sure if you're referring to an asset account specifically, but this article has more details on updating the value of manual asset accounts that could apply to any manual account: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3469358-asset-tracking-in-simplifi#h_bc22e95f7e

-Coach Natalie

• I have a mortgage account which does not allow for automatic sync (RoundPoint Mortgage), so I added a manual mortgage account. Each month, as the mortgage is paid, the balance will go down. Simplifi only seems to allow positive transaction values. I want to lower the amount due each month, but can't seem to be able to do this.

• Thank you @Dwayner79, exactly the answer it seems like the OP and everyone else is actually looking for! Worked a treat.

• imdZigman
    imdZigman Member
    edited January 1

I actually the same problem - but with a twist: I added a manual Mortgage, but there is no way to add a transaction to update the balance. I simply see on-screen content that says: "You may view your balances for Loan Accounts, but loan transactions are not currently supported." How are the rest of you adding a transaction to update your balances?

• Brian23
    Brian23 Member ✭✭

@imdZigman - try using "Other Credit" as the type. Simplifi will then let you record transactions for this type. The down side is that it shows under Credit section instead of the Liabilities section.

• imdZigman
    imdZigman Member

@Brian23 Thanks for the suggestion! I actually deleted the account, and re-added it. Now it does appear that I can add transactions. When my Mortgage payment clears this month, I'll add it, and see if that works.

• Adding my vote. When calculating values of real estate, this number will fluctuate as everyone knows. I use Zillow to come up with a number. Additionally, I have a fund that is a private hedge fund that does not connect. There is no easy way to update either of these two scenarios. The real estate can easily be fixed by linking to Zillow like Mint does (did). The you would never have to touch it. The private hedge fund could be fixed with a place to update shares and price per share. My two cents.

• Etch44
    Etch44 Member ✭✭

Are you sure that was a manual account? I have a mortgage connected to the bank and I get the message you were getting. That one may have actually been updating automatically and you just changed it to manual.

• BeckyBuck
    BeckyBuck Member

I have an account that I had to change to manual because the bank connection hasn't worked for several weeks. Just a few days ago, Simplifi changed the account balance and I can't get the balance corrected. The account shows all of the correct transactions, but the balance is not correct.

• Like BeckyBuck, I had to change an account to manual because the bank connection hasn't worked for weeks (Congressional Federal Credit Union, absolutely zero help on this issue from Simplifi help.) My checking account balance is now way, way off. I think this has to to with the opening balance, which I can't find and certainly can't change. What should I do?

• Coach Natalie

@BeckyBuck & @ptbrown811, thanks for reaching out!

Since it sounds like you're both experiencing an issue that you'd like to troubleshoot, a Feature Request would not be the place to do so. Instead, you'll want to create a post in the appropriate area of the Community.

I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction!

-Coach Natalie