AMEX High Yield Savings accounts not connecting (edited)

Comments

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

I am glad you are getting it to works somewhat. All I get is FDP-103 that my credentials are wrong if I try banking.

@contactcr

@Coach Natalie

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (iMac) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• contactcr
    contactcr Member

Use your normal CC login. The FSB site is LONG gone it's a miracle those credentials even worked till this point.

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@contactcr Yep, they worked until Wednesday. I don't know why I cannot get the CC credentials to work. They appear to work but won't add the Savings. I'll keep trying. Thanks.

Steve

• contactcr
    contactcr Member

When you add new account type out "american express" then scroll down to the "american express - banking" one. It then prompts you for your user and pass then multifactor authentication then input code then it pulls in what it pulls in. You don't check it off and authorize (that's OAUTH) and the other connection type.

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, but it tells me my credentials are wrong no matter which ones I enter. I plan to dump American Express next week.

Steve

• Oleksander
    Oleksander Member ✭✭

Making the account manual and adding the American Express - Banking account isn't working for me. It says it can't connect (FDP-102).

• Bgz
    Bgz Member ✭✭✭

Starting yesterday, I am getting FDP-185 error ( for all American Express accounts), regarding multifactor authentication every time I open Simplify. I am having to enter a code every single time which is annoying. I am assuming this is a new change required by Amex- does anyone else see this?

Is there any other way to circumvent this?

• thaJack
    thaJack Member ✭✭

@Coach Natalie - I need a similar escalation.

I have a Credit Card at what you all refer to as American Express and two High Yield Savings Accounts at what you all refer to as American Express - Banking. Today, they stopped working (HYSA, I think).

When I tried first to fix the issue, it said I could only work with my Credit Card account, but tried to add it as a new account in Quicken, and wouldn't allow me to link it to the existing one.

I canceled and tried again, this time it offered all three accounts, and I linked the two HYSA accounts, and told it not to do anything with the credit card one because again, it would be adding as a new account with the current one (at the other financial institution?) not available to link.

I did the two HYSA accounts, but now they are still showing in error.

This new method of connecting that it told me to go through isn't working at all.

Also, FWIW, connection to Bank of America Credit Card isn't working, either, but that indicates it may be a temporary issue.

Can I get some support, please, too? I don't want to lose all of my information.

• minoletta
    minoletta Member

AMEX HYSA stopped updating in Quicken Simplifi for me this past weekend (June 28) as well, which means that Simplifi is effectively broken/non-operational for me. I have tried each "American Express" method to link the account and nothing works.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

@SRC54, do you want to troubleshoot the FDP-103 error? If you're dropping Amex, I don't personally see the point, but I'd be happy to do that with you if you'd like.

@contactcr, out of curiosity, do you have a regular Amex Savings account or a High Yield?

@Bgz , what type of account(s) do you have with Amex?

@thaJack, Credit Card accounts need to be linked to the "American Express" option which is on OAuth, and Checking and Savings accounts need to be linked to the "American Express - Banking" option. To determine which of these connections is broken, navigate to Settings > Accounts, locate the bank with an error message, and let us know. You can also follow these steps to establish a completely fresh connection with both bank options:

1. Make all of your Amex accounts manual by following the steps here.
    2. Once you see the account(s) listed in the Manual Accounts section under Settings > Accounts, go back through the Add Account flow to reconnect to the "American Express" option.
    3. Carefully link the account(s) found to your existing Quicken Simplifi account(s) by following the steps here (this will just be the Credit Card accounts).
    4. Now go back through the Add Account flow again to reconnect to the "American Express - Banking" option.
    5. Carefully link the account(s) found to your existing Quicken Simplifi account(s) by following the steps here (this will just be the HYS account).

@minoletta, please elaborate on how the connection didn't work — do you receive a specific error message or anything along those lines?

Thanks, everyone!

-Coach Natalie

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1

@Coach Natalie Thanks for the offer. Canceled my Amex High Yield Savings account today and transferred the money to a bank that supports Quicken. Life is too short to deal with these people who lie to you because they just want to save a little money. As I've mentioned before, most of these new online accounts are meant to be used in phone apps. I think the future of Quicken and Simplifi might be bleak, but for now I prefer the Quicken Simplifi approach to opening an app everyday. It's fine if you just use one bank.

I am keeping the credit card because my wife uses it some and it still connects, but it is on life support.

Steve

• contactcr
    contactcr Member

@Coach Natalie High Yield Savings. It was migrated over from the old AMEX FSB and is now integrated in with my other AMEX credit cards at the regular AMEX site.

Again, just to re-iterate, when/IF people do get "American Express - Banking" account type working it will require multifactor authentication code every single refresh. It's miserable. Please escalate this with whoever provides your AMEX connection and try to make OAUTH work with these accounts.

• Hackstar18
    Hackstar18 Member

For me, the Savings account stopped being recognized stop being recognized altogether this afternoon and I have been connecting through the 'American Express - Banking' option for over a month. When it initially went to sync this afternoon, Simplifi told me it could not connect and needed to re-enter credentials with a Care Code 324 error. Once I did that I got the two-factor authentication request as expected followed by an FDP-185 error. Once I re-entered it though, Simplifi against lost connection altogether, and asked me to fully re-login and looped back to the Care Code 324 error, and then continued this loop several times.

I tried doing a manual disconnect and authentication to reconnect the account, however American Express - Banking now does not even see my Savings account, only my credit cards are visible through that method. Even after trying to just delete and re-add the savings account altogether, American Express - Banking can now only see credit cards.

Any reason for this?

• Bgz
    Bgz Member ✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie I have American Express credit card and High yield savings account. Now I am stuck on a loop where it says I need to establish connection. I enter my password and then OTP, then it tries to connect and asks for code again. Stuck on this loop almost 4 times nonstop. Every time it says connection established successfully still this error shows up.

• 5thompson
    5thompson Member
    edited July 2

Account needs attention (Care:916). No other information.

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@5thompson Is this credit card or Savings? Savings has stopped working. If it is credit card, mine is still working. Please clarify so the coaches can help you better.

Steve

• Coach Natalie

@Hackstar18, are you able to access the savings account through the regular Amex site as mentioned by contactcr here?

@Bgz , it sounds like you may need to follow the steps I listed above to get a completely fresh connection for all of your Amex accounts:

1. Make all of your Amex accounts manual by following the steps here.
    2. Once you see the account(s) listed in the Manual Accounts section under Settings > Accounts, go back through the Add Account flow to reconnect to the "American Express" option.
    3. Carefully link the account(s) found to your existing Quicken Simplifi account(s) by following the steps here (this will just be the Credit Card accounts).
    4. Now go back through the Add Account flow again to reconnect to the "American Express - Banking" option.
    5. Carefully link the account(s) found to your existing Quicken Simplifi account(s) by following the steps here (this will just be the HYS account).

To everyone — it is my understanding that you must have credentials at the new Amex site to add Savings accounts in Quicken Simplifi. If anyone is unsure if they're able to sign into that new Amex site, contacting Amex directly may be the next best step in accomplishing this.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie

@5thompson, thanks for reaching out!

To clarify, do you have American Express accounts connected to the 'American Express Bank FSB' option in Quicken Simplifi? If so, you will need to disconnect the accounts, and then reconnect them to the 'American Express - Banking' option. We have a whole other thread on this topic here:

The steps you can follow to establish the new connection are here (the numbered items):

Let us know how it goes! Otherwise, let us know if this is not what you're seeing in Quicken Simplifi, and better outline what you are seeing so we can help you.

-Coach Natalie

• vollmas
    vollmas Member ✭✭

I am getting the same results as vladimird. Are there any updates to this issue?

• Andor
    Andor Member

@Coach Natalie I have the same issue as others, my HY savings accounts have stopped working. When I follow your directions (5 steps) I only see my credit card accounts under "American Express - Banking"; my savings accounts to not appear. What do you suggest?

• Coach Natalie

@vollmas, what exact results are you seeing? Please be as descriptive as possible by letting us know what type of Amex accounts you have, whether they've been connected before, what option they were connected to, what options you've tried connecting them to now, what specifically is occurring, any specific error messages received, etc.

@Andor, do you know if you have access to the "new" Amex site and login? I think @contactcr has more info on what I'm referring to here. I'm trying to learn how this all works!

Has anyone by chance contacted Amex and gleaned any info or perhaps a ticket number that can be shared with us to help us better understand and push things along from our side?

-Coach Natalie

• Oleksander
    Oleksander Member ✭✭

@Coach Natalie Everyone's American Express savings accounts seem to have disconnected at the same time, and can't be reconnected. I believe that's more important than each person's detailed account. It's clear that this has to do with the connection between AMEX and Simplifi.

I think this comment from @SRC54 is the most relevant:

According to AMEX, savings accounts will not connect to Mint, Quicken, Simplifi, etc. by design. This is a very stupid decision on their part. My guess is that we've been using some backdoor into their system that they've finally patched.

I'd recommend that Quicken representatives get in discussion with AMEX and push them to change this policy. If everyone that's complaining here could also call AMEX and tell them that we want the policy changed, that might make a difference.

• Hackstar18
    Hackstar18 Member

For my login yes, the Amex HYSA is visible when I log into American Express website along with my 2 credit cards, however connection through Simplifi shows only the Credit Cards now when I try to re-establish the 'American Express - Banking' connection.

This does deserve a better explanation though in light of the image @SRC54 provided with everything seemingly working up until yesterday and needs to stop being brushed under the rug as an "individual user issues" like it feels like is happening right now. I've found multiple posts outside of here referencing this issue where people have lost connections to track, notably on Reddit in both the Amex and Simplifi communities there referencing this same issue.

• Manny93
    Manny93 Member

I am also having the same issue with my amex savings account. It suddenly stopped allowing me to connect. I've tried all the other options available but none allow me to re-select my savings account, only my credit cards.

• vollmas
    vollmas Member ✭✭

I only have the high-yield savings accounts with Amex. I got tired of trying and failing, so I deleted the old accounts altogether from Simplifi and started fresh. No matter which combination I try, I get one of a handful of errors. I agree with Hackstar18, this is beyond individual user issues at this point.

• kash80
    kash80 Member

I am experiencing similar issues with my american express account. I have a credit card and a HYSA. It's constantly asking for me to enter 2FA. And, when I tried to reset the credentials, it added my credit card as a separate account now. Unable to merge the two together.

• Hackstar18
    Hackstar18 Member

I don't want to jump the gun on this one, but my 'American Express - Banking' connection sees my HYSA account again and connected to it no issues this afternoon.

• RyanK
    RyanK Member

I can confirm that the steps provided by @Coach Natalie worked!

This discussion has been closed.