Share your feedback regarding the Upcoming redesign here!

Options
Coach Natalie
Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
edited March 20 in Feedback

With the enhancements that have been made to the Upcoming section for Early Access users on both the Mobile and Web Apps, we'd love to hear your feedback! Whether it's a suggested change, something you don't like, or something that's going to be really useful for you, let us know!

For a full rundown of the changes, please see our Product Update post here:

We look forward to hearing from you!

Comments

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good work! I like the changes and will try to remember to use this section more. I haven't gone to it much in the past. It's a great place to see the recurring transactions too.

One quirk I notice is that I have a Past Due item that has been paid but the transaction is still pending. So even though it's been paid, it will say past due until the transaction clears.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It would be nice if it handled transfers better.

Right now, it shows my income at about twice what it is (not exactly) because, for example, I have a $1,500 savings transfer, and the incoming side counts the transfer as 'income' for the purposes of upcoming's summary.. Same goes for scheduled credit card payments (recurring ones). The 'net' is still right, though.

Rob Wilkens

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@RobWilk Yeah, we got a paycheck today so it shows it as both a pending transaction and an upcoming as well even though it Simplifi did match it with the recurring correctly. When it clears tonight, it will be correct. :)

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My immediate reaction is that I like this area much better than the previous. Before, I had consciously chosen to just ignore the Upcoming section since it didn't seem all that useful; and was hard to navigate quickly. Since hearing that it was upgraded, I've used it 2-3 times to answer questions quickly on the fly. I don't have a ton of experience beyond that, but I do like the Cash Flow tab! Just gives us a second option/place to check to info in the Cash Projection graph at the top of the Check Register.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • FinTechMan
    FinTechMan Member ✭✭
    Options

It would be nice if reoccurring transactions could be split to more than one category

• chaddfowble
    Options

I like the enhancements to cash flow - one quirk that would be helpful is if the cash flow remembered any customizations you made to the default view such as the duration (always defaults back to 1 month when I like the 2 month view) and accounts selected (always defaults back to all accounts when I generally just like Cash, Checking and Credit Cards accounts shown.

• Coach Natalie
    Options
  • gobort
    gobort Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Nice work!

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@gobort Are you referring to the web app or mobile app? If web app, I'll note that for me, the cash flow graph on my checking account is still there; it didn't go anywhere. If you click "Banking" or "Cash and Checking" for example, you won't see the graph, but if you click your actual checking account name, it should be there.

Rob Wilkens

• joshuaz
    Options

2nd try - apologize if this ends up being a duplicate (I wasn't logged in the first time). Long time quicken user, simplifi has been a great low cost alternative. love the cash flow features, the recent changes made scheduled transfers work better (checking to savings works better than it used to - no more double balances).

similar feedback as others - pending transactions don't always get recognize, either inflating or reducing available balance unexpectedly - a few times I moved money around thinking I was going to be overdrawn, and then realized the balance in simplifi was showing the bank balance, but the pending transaction wasn't reflected anywhere, even though I had a scheduled transaction that day or the next.

The overall summary section in upcoming I think takes too much space - maybe an option to collapse it, with the default being "this month" . On my laptop, it takes roughly 1/2 of the center of the screen, so it just seems inefficient. Otherwise love it, thanks!

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For the most part, scheduled transactions do not affect the actual balance until they are entered— but pending transactions (that is, if they're in the register) should adjust from the bank balance —— that is if bank balance is $1000 and there is a $100 pending transaction, it should show $900 as balance.. However if there is also a $100 scheduled transaction that should only be reflected in the cash flow chart and not in the balance.

Rob Wilkens

• Fihner
    Options

I have been using Q Classic for 20 years it seems. 4+ weeks into running Classic and Simplifi in parallel not quit ready to make the leaf completely, plus my Classic paid subscription doesn't end until June so I made as well use it. That said I am used to 'Lists' like the traditional 'banking registers' and the setup of Q Classic with Upcoming below a BOLDED date line. I would love to see an option in addition to the Line graph for a 'list/register' view that would display the same information with a running balance but in one view similar to Q Classic. Thanks!

Quicken Classic

• kis87988
    kis87988 Member
    Options

It would be nice if we have a place can control biller connection. Currently, we are find the connection one by one in the "Bills & Payments" for "All recurring".

• Theharrispjs
    Options

income does not show on

• i_miss_mint
    Options

Hi @Coach Natalie, please re-design the "Spending Plan" feature in Simplify or Simplifi can keep "Spending Plan", but please add a new "budgeting" feature to Simplifi that works similarly to the budgeting features in Mint, Monarch, NYAB, etc. For more details, please see the post below. Thanks.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

The problem I have with a traditional budget, is it assumes i spend robotically in the same categories each month. I don't. I do have regular categories I do spend in, and I can use either recurring bills or planned spending to account for those. Most of my unplanned "spending" each month falls into "other" and in other I can see with bubbles where I'm spending that month and know if it's too much or if I need to start making certain expenses regular expenses.

Rob Wilkens

• i_miss_mint
    i_miss_mint Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    1. My problem with the "Spending Plan" feature in Simplifi is that I have to click 3 different buttons in the spending plan to see my overall budget outlook for the current month. With Mint, everything I need to see for my budget is on 1 page/screen. This reduces the need to go back and forth when trying to review my budget. I also don't like that certain categories fall under "Income after bills & savings", and then certain things fall under "Planned Spending", and the remaining categories fall under "Other spending". With Mint, all categories fall under the Spending category on 1 screen/page, which eliminates the need to go back and forth when trying to review budgets.

2. Also, all the carousels of all categories in Planned spending are too big, especially when you have a lot of categories in Planned spending, it will be a hassle to review all of them.

3. Another thing is in Mint, the Spending category starts at 0 and increases over time as spending increases. In Simplifi, it's a complete reverse. Planned Spending starts at the sum of all categorized expenses (-$4,196) and then keeps increasing if a category is overspent. This makes the available balance incorrect and I can't exactly know how much total money I have left to spend.

• Christaaay
    Christaaay Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I just submitted a feature request for the net worth graph to include data further back than your enrollment month then i got a notification that net worth was an early access feature. Its pretty useless without using historical data for those migrating from other tools. You can use Monarch Money's chrome extension for Mint if you need the balance histories instead of the account by account data imports we all did. Also a support rep said you only intended it to give data from 2018 forward. This is not enough to be useful for everyone. Please change that to be the start of your earliest account data.

• dagnabit2000
    dagnabit2000 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Overall it looks much cleaner and easier to use. One issue though is the past due is off to the side and easily ignored. Oddly these are the MOST IMPORTANT transactions in the list. I like them separated, but perhaps more prominent.

• dagnabit2000
    dagnabit2000 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I wish there was a way to easily identify which transaction I have already scheduled a payment for. It does not have to happen automatically, I could check a box when I pay them or something. That way I do not double pay my mortgage company or a credit card.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

The Upcoming redesign (now called Bills & Payments) is live for everyone!

• jhaney
    Options

I'm just switching over from Mint and was SUPER EXCITED to see the projected cash flow graph…until I started using it. If those are new additions…neat. BUT I SIMPLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE POINT OF IT IF IT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE PLANNED SPENDING!!!!

SImply put, budgeting on Simplifi simply SUCKS! It actually doesn't seem to create a budget at all. Now, I do understand that I'm new and it does not have a strong history (even though I imported all of my accounts), but there's nothing that even says the word "BUDGET."

So far, I'm VERY UNIMPRESSED with your product. Some of the behind the scenes stuff, like creating rules that are actually followed and prompting me for updating accounts that need dual verification, are nice. But this whole thing is clunky. Why can't I add categories in the Transaction tab? I have to leave what I was doing and go into settings. That's bad. HELP ME CREATE A BUDGET!!!

What about helping get out of debt???? Simplifi doesn't seem to know what to do with credit card payments at all.

BUDGETING, GETTING OUT OF DEBT, AND FORWARD LOOKING CASH FLOW CALENDARS ARE ALL THAT I WANT OUT OF YOUR PRODUCT.

Please contact me to help you fix it!

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Shouting is not likely to produce results that are more satisfactory to you.

I agree with some of your comments. I, too, wish the cash flow graph included planned spending.

If you add a transaction, you are gicen the option of selecting an existing category or creating a new one. I'm not sure what the criticism is on that point.

Simplifi creates a very effective budget, but calls it a Spending Plan, and for those of us who've used the product for awhile it has proven to be very effective and is a very positive thing that distinguishes it from competitors

I don't understand your comment about credit cards. It helps me manage mine quite well.

If you need a tool for debt reduction, you should probably look elsewhere. Simplifi has very basic debt tracking tools, and almost no debt management system at all beyond the Spending Plan. Simplifi isn't a one-app-serves-all solution (none are), but what it does do is effective and quite elegant.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does your planned spending have specific transactions that you can make recurring? if not, the cash flow chart cannot incorporate them.

For example, make your grocery trip recurring every week if that is when you plan to go and set an amount. Then, the expense will show up in projected cash flow.

Planned spending is more for variable expenses without a recurring bill or subscription.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

… on the other hand , Q-Simplifi is indeed helpful with debt reduction/payoff. The Spending Plan, if built honestly, thoughtfully and completely, will tell you exactly how much money you have available in each given month. That available money is what you can safely put towards paying off debt. Now it is up to the individual to act responsibly and apply those available funds to the debt.

When I say honestly, thoughtfully and completely regarding your Spending Plan I mean that your Spending Plan will include in addition to your monthly fixed living expenses, the set monthly payment due for each debt account and if carrying a balance on a credit card(s), at the very least, you will have the minimum due as one of your included recurring bills. After you have made sure that all you recurring fixed expenses are accounted for (including your annual or semi-annual expenses through some type of monthly Savings Goal contribution(s), Simplifi will provide you what how much you have available for your monthly flexible expenses. You have the ability to divide the available money as you see fit to cover these flexible expenses. Once you have made your allotments (budgets), Simplifi will take all the numbers, do some crunching and give you a final bottom line - Available. This Available is what you can safely use for further debt paydown/off.

As far as debt paydown strategies, there are plenty of articles, blogs, websites that you can go to to find out the various strategies for paying down and ultimately paying off all debt.

Simplifi gives you the ability to add debt accounts and through the responsible allocation of resources you can certainly set up a schedule for paying off those accounts using any part or all of the Available/Left at end of month funds.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with @DannyB on debt reduction using Simplifi as an aid. Setting up the minimum due for a credit card and/or loan payments as part of the bills section and then keeping spending at levels to ensure that there is a surplus to fund debt extra payments via monthly flexible spending is a great approach.

Also, tracking the debt in Simplifi and seeing your net worth change grow over time can be a motivator too. I like charts.

Minter 2014-2023

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with @DannyB as well, but I had the sense @jhaney was looking for more comprehensive and detailed functionality. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jhaney there is a feature request for planned spending to be included in cash flow. Creating a placeholder bill for this feature is an alternative workaround but an estimate as proposed in the idea will be optimal.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I think you are right. @jhaney - looks like the Forbes article has the debt management functionality in a more granular way than Simplifi does.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/banking/4-of-the-best-debt-management-apps/

Minter 2014-2023

• MoneyPro
    Options

The projected Cash Flow view is really nice, but it's not very helpful because it doesn't factor in planned spending items. This means reoccurring expenses that are not bills, like Groceries, Gas and Fuel, shopping, are not included. These are huge categories! Without these being included, the projected cash flow is not very helpful, because it's not accurate.

Also, please make it so that it remembers the accounts you have selected and doesn't show them all by default.

This discussion has been closed.