When will net worth report be fixed to honor excluded accounts?

Options
DEA3
DEA3 Member
edited October 2023 in Using Reports

AS of 9-2-23 the exlude symbol and the setting under three dots are consistent, BUT the transactions in accounts with both checked are NOT being excluded from the Net Worth Reports or the Spending reports.. What is the status of this fix?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @DEA3,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're still seeing transactions from excluded accounts in Simplifi's Reports.

To clarify, the issues that were occurring a couple of weeks ago (such as here) should have been resolved last week as of the 3.84.1 Web Release. With that said, I'd suggest electing to include the account(s) in question in Reports and the Spending Plan, and then signing out of Simplifi just to refresh everything. When you sign back in, navigate back to Settings > Accounts and re-exclude the account(s). Then check your Reports to see if that worked.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3569626-how-to-exclude-transactions-from-reports-and-the-spending-plan

We had another user report an issue after the 3.84.1 release, and including and then re-excluding the accounts fixed it for them:

We also have a new article here that goes over the visibility changes made to Investment Transactions and Accounts: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8241194-visibility-updates-for-investment-transactions

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• DEA3
    DEA3 Member
    Options

I havew done everything suggested and the problem continues. I am running web version 3.85.0. As anyone been able to exclude any accounts from the net worth report??

• DEA3
    DEA3 Member
    Options

I am running Web Version: 3.85.0. According to a recent post that version should not include excluded accounts in the net worth report. But for me they are still included. Has anyone seen this feature work properly? This is an important feature for me. What shoudl I do next?

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @DEA3,

Thanks for giving those steps a try and posting back, although I'm sorry to hear that the trouble persists.

It looks like my excluded accounts are also still showing the balance in my Net Worth Report, but it's just the Net Worth Report, as my Spending Report ignores the transactions in the account as expected. With that said, I did go ahead and get the issue with the Net Worth Report reported and will be sure to let you know as soon as an update becomes available.

Additionally, when it comes to posting to the Community, you'll want to post regarding each topic just once. Please avoid posting the same comment on multiple threads, as well as creating new threads for an existing topic. This is considered spamming and makes it harder from our end to help you.

Here are the Community Guidelines for your review:

If you feel that you're not being properly assisted when reaching out to the Community, or if you'd like immediate assistance, we suggest contacting our Support Team directly for more advanced assistance.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

We appreciate your understanding!

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-17886

• DEA3
    DEA3 Member
    Options

OK thank you. Excluding in spending reports does eliminate transactions into and out of investment accounts but not such things as dividend payments. Can that be fixed?

• DEA3
    DEA3 Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. I don't see that as a design feature , but as a CS professor, I see it as your programmers don't want to both with differentiating two different ways of excluding. It is also inconsistent with what your help material says so I guess they shoudl include this "design feature" there. Using the filters is very awkward now because you have to set all the exclude accounts every time you go to report. If they could make the filter setting persistent that would help alot. Another option would be to allow filtering by category — eg. filter all "Other Investments" in which I could place the accounts I don't want included. But making them persistent until changed or reset is the best solution and could apply to all filtering locations, not just Net Worth report. Also for filters and other places making the list continue to scroll rather than having to stop and clip "next" woudl be a nice UX improvement. I am very impressed with Simplifi but am disappointed with news you bring. Perhaps push back a little?

• DEA3
    DEA3 Member
    Options

PS typo " don't want to bother". Please send my message to the programmers. thanks

• DEA3
    DEA3 Member
    Options

When you go to filter in Net Worth report you are offered the option of filtering by Account or by Flag. Is it possible to Flag an account as opposed to flag just a transaction. I can't find a way to flag an account but if I could, then I could flag all accounts I want excluded as say Red and then just have to pick one thing when I ran the report. If you can't flag a report then remove that option from Net Worth. The reason I an others want to exclude from NW reports is that we control accounts that are not really our money — college funds for grandkids, trust funds for kids, etc. These are not really part of our net worth.

• DEA3
    DEA3 Member
    Options

I hope other users will chime in on the need for this feature some way or another.

• Coach Natalie
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @DEA3,

The best way to get your feedback in front of our Product Team is via Idea posts —

We have a couple of existing Idea posts for some of the items you mentioned that I'd definitely suggest adding your vote and feedback to:

When it comes to flagging an account, this is not currently available in Simplifi, as flags are used for transactions — https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5662568-flagging-transactions-in-simplifi

If you'd like to see the ability to flag accounts, or see accounts that are excluded at the account level also have their balances excluded from the Net Worth Report, or even to have all Filters show the full list rather than having to click "Show More" (such as what's been requested here for Watchlists specifically), you'll want to create Idea posts (a separate Idea post for each individual request) so other users can vote on them and our Product Team can review them.

Additionally, now that the Care Team is aware of the changes that were made to excluded accounts not being excluded from the Net Worth Report, we have updated our help content accordingly (you may click here for the full article):

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with including assets in the Net Worth Report. It's one thing to ignore transactions in an IRA, but another to say it doesn't add to your net worth. So I have excluded IRA transactions from Spending Plan and Reports but it adds to my net worth.

If someone has an asset that they want to leave out of their net worth; maybe it belongs to someone else and they just want to follow it, I would suggest adding a dummy transaction to zero it out that you can adjust as you go.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

@DEA3 After posting the above, I found your post on grandkids trust funds, savings, etc. I now understand why you want to exclude those. I think the purpose of financial programs like Simplifi is to show the typical user how much money he has and where it is going. Your situation of wanting to keep up with money that is not yours is obviously not typical.

OTOH, it is always fun to find creative ways to use a program you have to suit your needs. I assume you have these accounts with a financial institution and you can follow them on their web sites. Could you not use Savings Goals to show what you need. I mean you obviously are spending your own money to set aside for them. You can call those transfers or gifts or whatever.

Or you could create another set of accounts altogether for them. Or you can do as I suggest above and just zero them out, but you're know how much each account really has. Just some ideas.

If you do put in a request to exclude accounts from Net Worth, it would need to be a different option from excluding transactions as there are many more in my situation who have assets that aren't yet ready to be used and need to be ignored from Spending Plan until the time comes to pay them to myself. That time is coming for me soon!

And then there are investment brokerage plans, of course, that people do use as income and pay bills out of them, etc. Those dividends and payments obviously have to be included in spending plans and reports.

Steve

• DEA3
    DEA3 Member
    Options

Thanks for your suggestions. My main point that is the Simplifi program allows your to check an account as "exclude from reports" it shoudl exclude it from ALL reports. The reason they give for not doign it could easily be programmed around.

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

@DEA3

The entire include/exclude thing in Simplifi is a unique feature that is not available in Quicken or most other financial apps. The only transactions Quicken sometimes ignores are transfers. However, Quicken does have a feature that allows you to designate an account as "separate". These are accounts you keep up with but aren't part of your net worth. This seems to be your situation. Perhaps this is what you could ask for since most people would not want the assets whose transactions they exclude from the spending plan/reports to be discounted from their net worth.

Here's another situation: My wife has an account that is included in our net worth, but will disappear next year when she retires. Her retirement account is an asset today but next July, it will be wiped out completely and replaced by lifetime payments from the State. It will have no residual value. I have now entered a balance adjustment I call "Convert to Annuity" for the amount that the asset is currently worth, so it now shows what our net worth will be, so I can get used to seeing a big decrease in our net worth 😀.

I am unsure whether the Simplifi folks will want to do separate accounts as this might divert from its core mission somewhat. It is an ongoing discussion about how complicated and feature rich Simplifi should become. That is why it is never going to have Quicken's Investment or tax bells and whistles. Then again, as you say, this might not be hard to implement. That gives a better chance.

Hope my musings are of some use.

Steve

This discussion has been closed.