Make the Accounts List easier to read (edited)

Options
asjss1186
asjss1186 Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Feature Requests

I'm a new user and I find the Accounts column very hard to read.

• The lines are so close together and each section is differentiated by a "slightly" larger font. It's hard to tell each section apart or find the totals for each category (Cash, Credit, Assets etc)
  • It's hard to read which balance applies to which account due to how close each line is.
  • Having the banks icon next to the name would make it much easier to identify accounts quickly
  • Sorting appears to be alphabetical instead of by balance so I have accounts with $0 balance showing at the top making it harder to find the info for accounts that actually have a balance. Sort by balance and/or hide accounts with $0 balance
  • Savings, for some reason, isn't included under Cash so I have to manually add up what's in checking and savings to see how much cash I have. Total cash should be right under net worth as it's a critical metric for a personal finance app. "Banking" total (cash - credit debt) isn't helpful to me, I would rather see my total cash on hand (cash + checking + savings)
  • Allow users to change the order of each group in the Accounts column. I want to move the Liabilities section higher up the list

15 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• tobyN
    tobyN Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I agree that the accounts column is very hard to just scan and pick out the things that you want to see. A little more difference in font size or allowing some sort of color coding text or icon for each account would be very helpful.

Ordering would also be helpful. I put a "Z-" in front of the zero or less important accounts so that they show up at the bottom of the group. Not really an ideal solution.

I'm sure this has been rehashed several times, as everyone has their own opinions about fonts and colors and indentation. But it seems like there is room for some improvement here.

Quicken since 1995. Simplifi since 2023.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@asjss1186, thanks for posting your suggestions to the Community!

Since we already have an existing Idea post requesting the ability to organize accounts in the Accounts List however a user prefers, I have gone ahead and edited this post to cover just the parts about making the Accounts List easier to read. I'm assuming you're referring to the Accounts List on the Quicken Simplifi Web App (the left-hand pane that lists all of your accounts and balances), but please correct me if I'm wrong.

For the ability to organize accounts in the Accounts List, please add your vote and feedback here:

@tobynewlin, you may want to check out the other Idea post as well. 😀

-Coach Natalie

• asjss1186
    asjss1186 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Natalie! I recategorized my savings accounts as checking accounts so they appear where they should under cash and now I can see my total cash on hand.

I also went through and marked some 0 balance accounts as closed to clean up my list and to my disappointment, closed accounts still show up in the Accounts list 🫠

How can I hide closed accounts from the list?

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Ess, great!

The ability to hide closed accounts will become available as soon as the bugs are worked out and the feature is re-enabled. We'll post an update here as soon as that happens:

-Coach Natalie

• MWA
    MWA Member ✭✭
    Options

To improve readability of the account list and headings within, either :

1. Indent individuals accounts under each heading OR
    2. Capitalize heading names and bold OR
    3. Put a background box or color on headings

• tobyN
    tobyN Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I’m sure this has been suggested in other posts, but I will agree and up vote it here as well. Something needs to be done to improve readability of the account list. It is impossible to easily track through the account list and pick out what you are looking for. I say indent the accounts AND bold the section headings.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I'm confused a bit. Are we talking mobile app, web app, both?

From what i can see, the mobile app does all of these things (except the background thing, which would be helpful). The web app indents but does not bold.

so I'm uncertain what change is being requested specifically.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• MWA
    MWA Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks - to clarify, web app. Accounts in the web app are directly under the headings (indented under the expand arrow but IMO would be better indented further).

• tobyN
    tobyN Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, the web app. The first character of the section title and of the account names all are lined up. Yes, the section title has the tiniest arrow icon they could find, but bolding the title or indenting the account names a bit more would be helpful. If you have savings goals, the do indent those about a single pixel, so there is that!

Or maybe a little separator line between the end of one section and the title of the next.

• Graham
    Graham Member
    Options

I would like to see the Simplifi web app to appear the same as or substantially similar to the Simplifi mobile app. The mobile app does a nice job displaying the accounts list.

• scottiecosmo
    Options

The current view of "Accounts" in the web UI is extremely cluttered and "tight". This area could benefit from either from sort of division to partition or group the account types using either narrow outlines or different shadings between to improve readability. For example…

Account 3

The lines could indicate a lighter or darker shaded box, or simply be a narrow white or black outline (depending on light or dark time).

• tobyN
    tobyN Member ✭✭✭
    Options

There have a couple of posts about this already, but I will up vote and agree 100% with this one also.

I know the trend these days is for clean and minimalist UI design, but it is way too hard to track through the account list and distinguish between sections and accounts. Please, a little more indentation or separators or color/bold or something….

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

The idea on this post sounds like the one below. This one has more votes. Vote for it there.

[removed link to merged thread]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• klee
    klee Member
    Options

Further emphasize the need for "

1. Background box or color on account headings and subheadings
    2. Save where I've broken down the trees as a default, not popping all open at every instance of changing pages.

• EugenePHD
    EugenePHD Member
    edited March 26
    Options

The accounts and categories on the Dashboard use the same color and font size is only slightly different between categories and account names. Can they be separated better, e.g. categories in different colors (and/or different fonts) from accounts?

• breadfan18
    Options

YES. Please make the account list easier to read and track. Right now, it does look a little bit like word noodle. Subtle changes like adding slightly more spacing or light horizontal line separation, adding icons for account type, updating the color scheme for Categoroes/Subcategories/Accounts etc.. can help make a big difference.