How to split transactions with rows

Options
ps56k
ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in Managing Your Transactions

I thought this would be easy - guess not -

I have an existing/cleared transaction -
clicked on Edit - clicked on Split - now entering the lines.
BUT - don't understand the math….
$3,519 - is the gross amount, and the rest should be "deductions" resulting in the $2,922 net -
BUT - can't enter the deductions with a "-"
SO don't even know how or where the $2,922 is getting entered - doesn't appear calculated ?

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

What I noticed with this Amazon payment transaction -
    As I went thru the Split rows - the top level Amount NEVER changed to reflect the amounts in the rows.
    It was "fixed" - and it seemed like the "last" row touched was responsible for making up any differences in the total math to match the top Amount -…..
    Don't think this is the way the math should work - by keeping the top Amount "fixed",
    and randomly changing the "entered" row Amounts to match - or - keep it fixed, but then do the math in the added rows… we need to see the "difference" somewhere.

The rows amount changed for the first 2 rows as you cascaded down -
    but then no longer updated as you added a new row…. it only worked for the default 2 rows -
    SO - you have no idea if you are missing rows & amounts to equal the total at the top.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only issue I maybe see with the top row being the only one added/subtracted from: Is what happens when the top row is edited (it happens), where would it take the difference from? itself?

Rob Wilkens

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

well - if it all was done correctly - and yes - Splits are complex and difficult to implement -

The line item rows should total the top number, which is now calculated from the line item rows -
    Also the top level Category should be replaced with a "split" text,
    indicating the line item rows now supersede all single transaction entry data -

And to your question about changing the top level Amount - this is what should happen -

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

yeah - that's what I detailed above -
    but doesn't appear to do any math calc against the top Amount -
    AND I was not able to enter and retain a negative number for the deductions -
    even the Help example says they are "negative" but they are displaying as "positive" -

I also added a last empty line item row $0.0 -
    and
    THAT ROW will now catch any differences in total amounts… vs messing the others -

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

And again - even in your example - what is NEGATIVE and what is POSITIVE -
    How to tell the difference between Paycheck and Taxes - they are ALL displayed as Positive numbers -
    Nothing shows as "-" negative or "red" - as you would expect -

and the Quicken comparison - either show the line items as "negative" or "red" or both -

AND - lastly -
    if you EXPORT our single example transaction,
    the appropriate Split "deduction" amounts have a "-" minus sign in the CSV,
    except for the positive $3,519 income related amount.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@ps56k, it's based on the Category — Income Categories, such as 'Paycheck' will be for a positive amount, and Expense Categories will be for a negative amount. The other way you can input a positive number is by placing a plus (+) sign in front of the amount.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3359548-how-to-create-an-income-transaction

If you'd like to see a change surrounding this, you're welcome to create an Idea post:

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Any suggestions on how to approach applying Splits to previous transactions, downloaded as single line item transaction - but now being modified with the Splits ?

Was thinking of a Copy/Paste of the Split transaction - but don't see that feature as avail in Semplifi -

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

yeah - just ran into this after downloading our bank transactions and then edit one for Splits and now need to go back and change all the other downloaded transactions

This discussion has been closed.