Add a Dashboard widget that shows last month's vs current month's expenses for trends (edited)

Options
Tyrion
Tyrion Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Feature Requests

I'm coming from Mint, and so far I think that Simplifi's weakest point is the Dashboard which is a big missed opportunity here, I hardly find useful some of the graphs/widgets so I have a few suggestions about this:

• Why do we have two separate charts for Spending and Income? It reduces the usefulness as I can't directly compare both and takes more space for no reason. These two graphs can be combined in one Net Income chart that shows the comparison between both with trends, you can even offer a 6-month and a 12-month (double width) option.
  • Why can't I just track my current month-to-date expenses anywhere in the dashboard? Just one number that tells me "$XXX.XX spent this month so far". I see that there's a number that today shows "From Thursday-Today" and I have no clue about what to do with that info. Why those dates? That doesn't give actionable or useful information at all.
  • I want to be able to hide widgets, I don't find useful a few and I'd like to hide them.
  • We need a widget that shows me last month's vs current month's expenses in a trend day-to-day comparison so I can see if I'm spending faster or slower than last month.

I see that some of these ideas are kind of present in the Report section and that brings me to another idea that could cover all the above and more and it's to make the Dashboard customizable in a way that we can simply select widgets based on all the reports that you offer, that way I can literally make my own Home Dashboard including only the information I want to check every time I log in from the list of reports that you offer, that is a very nice list but that requires quite a few clicks to be checked frequently.

I'm rooting for Simplifi (and I already paid for a year) so I hope this suggestion can be taken into consideration, the first page that we all see when we enter the app is probably the most important UX aspect of a tool like this.

😎

38 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Gets my vote, Great idea. This may get merged into other idea(s) about dashboard customizability (which pools the votes), but this was explained well.

Rob Wilkens

• FutureEye
    FutureEye Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

dashboard can improve in 2 ways,

1. I think I need it scroll between, banking , investment and net worth 4 times. A Ui change to bring all info in one snapshot.

2. Use visual graphs to explain than need to go to report section. This to me is more of a traditional way of looking at a product.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Tyrion, thanks for posting!

It looks like most of what you requested has already been requested, so this Idea has been edited to include just the request for a widget that shows last month's vs current month's expenses to identify trends. Please be sure to add your vote and feedback on the existing Idea posts as well:

For any additional requests or ideas, please create a separate Idea post to outline each individual item. We want to keep each Idea post to just one request so users can vote on it accordingly. This goes for the ideas you mentioned too, @Hari Palat. 😀

-Coach Natalie

• Tyrion
    Tyrion Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Natalie! Although now I'm a little concerned that some of those date back to 2020-2021 😧, maybe that's why I didn't read them.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Tyrion The old idea posts collected 'some' votes, better to start/build-on something with existing votes than to start over with 0 votes.

Rob Wilkens

• Tyrion
    Tyrion Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I agree! What I meant is that I'm concerned that after 2-3 years they're still ideas and haven't been implemented. Hopefully that will change sooner than later. Thanks!

• FutureEye
    FutureEye Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

This would make huge help to keep monthly expense I. Check and this has to be in the dashboard itself.

[edited image to reduce size]

• dev9907
    dev9907 Member
    edited January 4
    Options

There should be a spending graph which shows your real time spending against the same time last month. [removed] has this feature (and so did Mint). See attached picture.

• rambyte53
    rambyte53 Member
    edited January 16
    Options

Being an abandoned Mint user, I am new

to Quicken Simplifi. As a retired IT Project Manager, I came to rely on one Mint Dashboard report over others. The report allowed me to view this month's accumulated spending over that from last month.

Now as a Simplifi user, I want to see that same report on your Dashboard. As a result, I've created an Excel Spreadsheet as a prototype for this report. The spreadsheet is non-volatile and contains no Macros. The Transactions and Pivot sheets show the detail needed shown on the Report sheet.

Before retiring, I spent more than 30 years in the IT Industry. Beginning as an Operator, then as a Developer, my final 20 years were spent as the Program Manager of the Software DHL used at its busiest Airfreight Gateways in the US. I also earned an MBA from Washington State University and a Project Management Certificate from the Project Management Institute.

I think my simple request requires quick consideration and resolution.

Roger Brown, MBA, PMP

[removed - privacy]

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12
    Options

This request already exists. Vote for it here. It is better to start a request with more than one vote for Simplifi staff to be able to consider it.

[removed link to merged thread]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• rambyte53
    rambyte53 Member
    edited January 16
    Options

It is not obvious how I can vote for this enhancement request.

And since my proposal was previously requested, why hasn't it already been implemented?

My Excel Spreadsheet explains how easy this report is to produce, and given its value to the user base by seniors like me, what is the delay?

[removed - privacy]

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To vote, click on the up yellow arrow at the beginning of the thread.

Minter 2014-2023

• rambyte53
    rambyte53 Member
    edited January 22
    Options

Has the Development team been appraised of this request?

[removed file for privacy]

Where does it exist in their portfolio? When will it be implemented?

• en-chuan
    Options

This almost becomes a deal-breaker issue for me now. Vote for this one!

• Bread01
    Bread01 Member ✭✭
    Options

This isn't a deal breaker for me, but definitely one that is very useful. It has my vote.

Simplifi User Since February 2024

Mint User Since 2011

User Type: Monitor Net Income and Grow Net Worth

• Luke G.
    Options

Seeing that many converts from Mint are adopting Quicken Simplify, one of the greatest features of Mint was the Dashboard view of monthly expenses graph which overlayed a line graph of the current month's expenses with the previous month's expenses. It was a quick and easy way to guage any major expenses and current months burn - much more effective than the 'Spending Plan' view but accomplishes the same goal:

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    edited March 25
    Options

Hello @Luke G. ,

Thank you for coming to the Community to provide your feedback! If I'm understanding what you're asking for, there is already an existing Idea requesting this functionality: [removed link to merged thread]

Does that idea cover what you're wanting to see added?

I look forward to your reply!

-Coach Kristina

• Tessellate
    Tessellate Member
    Options

I am a Mint user who has switched over to Simplifi. Once of the features I really liked on the Mint dashboard which I miss and I would like to see on my Simplifi dashboard is a line graph to show how my spending this month compares to where I was on the same day of the previous month. This shouldn't be a difficult addition since there is already a dashboard with several widgets or reports on it. Please can we add this visual? Or if it is already available please can someone let me know how to add it to my dashboard?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25
    Options

Your request already exists and has 30 votes. With more votes, the chances for consideration rise.

[removed link to merged thread]

Minter 2014-2023

• czerk89
    czerk89 Member
    Options

Can we have a graph on our dashboard that allows us to compare spend for different periods on a time-series graph.

Graphs such as this month vs last month. The x-axis is the day of the month, and y-axis is spend. The graph would have two lines--this month and last.

This comparison could also be done for this week vs last. And this month vs the same month last year.

Lastly, we should be able to filter this graph for a tag, category, payee, etc.

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yea agreed that something customizable would be extremely more valuable. Some months have one off expenses that throw a this-month-to-last-month graph out of whack. Like this month I had taxes due and my homeowners insurance and my auto insurance. Comparing my total spend this month to last tells me literally nothing and its why I never used that widget in Mint. Customizing it to tell me the past 12 months to the 12 before, or this month to the same month last year would give me better value and I expect many others.