Data transfer from Quicken

Shermani
Shermani Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Feature Requests
I am a long time user of Quicken. I have over 25 years of meticulously managed financial data within Quicken. I use this data for long term trending and financial planning.

I see that Simplifi is the future of your money management product strategy. However, users like me desperately need a way to transition to Simplifi without leaving the data in Quicken behind.

Are you developing continuity between Quicken and Simplifi to enable a switch?
Tagged:
30 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Our Team is currently reviewing options for this request!

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @Shermani,

Thanks for posting your request to the Community!

I was able to confirm that our Team is still considering the ability to import data from Quicken, however, it hasn't officially made it on the roadmap quite yet. With that said, I'll be sure to update this post as soon as any further news is received. 

-Coach Natalie
  • Shermani
    Shermani Member ✭✭
    Thank you Coach Natalie
  • I am in the same situation. I have been a Quicken user since the 1980’s. Keeping those files available is critical to me. I tried Simplifi a few months ago and LOVED  it. It is exactly what I am looking for now that my financial life is less complicated.   But not being able to import my Quicken files to Simplifi was a deal breaker and still is! Can you give us an update on if and when this feature will be available?
  • Coach Natalie
    MacInTax!

Sadly, there is no further update to provide on this request at this time. Once an update does become available, however, we'll be sure to post back here accordingly.

-Coach Natalie
  • Also in the reverse direction for folks who don't have a business yet but plan to soon. Would be nice if the tools integrated in general.

• Coach Natalie

Hello @rachelharlich,

Thanks for the feedback!

I'd suggest adding your vote and feedback to the Idea post requesting the ability to move Simplifi data to Quicken.

-Coach Natalie

• I voted, but would love to add my verbose support for this as well. I imagine Quicken is going to be backburnered eventually in favor of Simplifi and I'd love a way to migrate to Simplifi, especially as it get more refined.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a question… if Simplifi is developed in such a way as to taken and incorporated Quicken data that has been accumulated over however many years, will Simplifi then simply become Quicken?

What I have appreciated most about Simplifi is it’s fresh take on money management and it’s simplification of data handling. I no longer need a power app like Quicken to handle my personal money management and so I made the switch. I hope whatever comes doesn’t turn Simplifi into a recreation of Quicken.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • This is critical functionality. I'd love to start using Simplifi, but I need the ability to import my historical data (about 10 years worth) from Quicken.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

An app like Quicken is great for data mining whereas Simplifi is more focused on month to month money management. It's nice to see trends over time but I don't personally need I depth analysis of 10 or 20 years of personal financial data. I'd rather see improvement of cash flow forecasting with the inclusion of saving goal contributions and planned spending categories along with the ability to select the accounts to use for forcasting.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • With data back to 1992 in my very large QDF file, I would be OK if Simplifi could only import up to 10 years of QDF information, but there must be a way to seamlessly import data from a QDF file.

• Perhaps I'm a broken record but in 2023 with SaaS as a mature and extremely common delivery method, why is Simplifi and Quicken still using Imports? Quicken does have our data at least in a Database somewhere and why can't API access be granted to Simplifi. Quicken relies on API access to get data from banks so clearly they get the importance of it but don't apply it to their own products. I have stayed away from Simipli because there is no linkage to Quicken (such as category leverage from transactions).

• I have Quicken Desktop/Classic information in a single QDF file that dates back to 1992. There is no way I will abandon using Quicken Classic for Simplifi unless there is a way to import my existing QDF file into Simplifi.

• My QDF data a) goes back to 1994, and b) is an enormous amount of information I refer to regularly. I am a user of the financial planning as well as consolidating my account spending views from multiple accounts. I have tried Simplifi, it is a great tool. I, too, would like to see a way to migrate my existing QDF data to Simplifi. It would be great to migrate off the desktop/Windows platform to a web based one.

• rmb
    rmb Unconfirmed, Member

I have been looking for a modern web app to replace Quicken for some time now. I will be moving to the first quality product that makes it easy to import my Quicken data. Seems like implementing this feature request would make a lot of sense since it is in the same "family"!

• I am in the same boat. SO many years of Quicken data and I can't justify a switch unless I can bring it with me. Come on Quicken, it can't be that hard.

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

I agree that it is odd that Simplifi doesn't import Quicken files or even QFX. I imagine they didn't want to cannibalize Quicken users, but I expect it will soon be added. I too think that Simplifi is the future.

I don't care so much about importing my Quicken data but, at least, I would like a way to read it in Simplifi or in quicken.com after I discontinue using Quicken.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

• To continue with Quicken products I need to be able to import my 30 yrs accumulated 52,000 KB .qdf file. I'm currently using Intuit 2016 Deluxe, when this PC no longer works, I'll use what ever modern money management product into which I can import my .qdf files. Please let us know when this feature will be avail

• Hey just bumping this! I anticipate the move to Simplifi and am wondering on if there's a timeline for this feature. Thanks!

• How is it that Simplifi can import from Mint and Personal Capital, but it can't import a file from its own product. This is Quicken, right? You're the company that created formats for financial data exchange, but your new product doesn't support them? Come on, Quicken. This is unacceptable!

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭

So this is a genuine question, not a troll post.

I am curious what advantage there is to have more than, say, 5 years of history. For me, even when considering 30 year mortgages and refinancing of stuff and all the rest, my financial habits from more than a few years ago have no bearing on my current habits. Income has changed, my debts have changed. I have gained (and perhaps lost) a family, insurance has changed, etc.

There is nothing that happened 10 years ago that gives me insight into the next year, so why bother with it, other than because it's fun to have that much history saved?

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• RiversideKid
    RiversideKid Member ✭✭

I just pulled data from my Quicken Desktop for the past 16 years. With all of the excitement about Electric Vehicles (EV) I wanted to see just how much we have put into our 16 year old Mazda 3, so I pulled a report showing the purchase price, all insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc over the past 16 years and compared this with the purchase price of my dad's Tesla 3. So it's not imperative to have the historical data, but it's nice at times.

I could remain with the current Quicken Desktop (classic) and stop paying the subscription which would allow me to import data later, but I'd rather a clean cutover but with the recent announcement of a price increase for Quicken Desktop I'm ready for that cutover to come before my next renewal. 😎

Quicken for Windows user since 1994 (After MYM for DOS)
    Simplifi by Quicken since 2023

• SJF
    SJF Member

I have used Quicken for years. I'm about to consolidate data from two computers into one, and (with help) loaded my Quicken data file into the cloud. It seemed that Simplifi would meet my basic checking account needs, so I'm shocked to learn that it can't read the data. Is there another (presumably more expensive!) version that will. I used QuickBooks online as treasurer for an organization, but I thought it had too many bells and whistles for our needs. Do you sell anything other than the subscription service now?

• Austin@
    Austin@ Member

I would like to move to Simplifi someday, but the only way I would consider doing it is if I could import my Quicken Classic data so I don't lose all of my history. Please add the ability to import data from a Quicken Classic data file. Thanks!