Welcome Mint Users!

Options

Comments

• Denali
    Denali Member
    Options

I 100% agree with this. Simplifi is importing all the CC transactions already - why not also take in the CC payment amount, due date, minimum amount due, and use that to adjust the "spending plan"? Right now every single Simplifi user has to update every single credit card statement manually in order to see if they really have enough money in their "spending accounts" to cover the bills. Such a waste of time that could be so easily automated!

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

From what I read in the Community, the feed that provides due date, statement balance, and minimum payment for credit cards is different than the data feed that provides transactions.

Also, as much as I liked Mint, sometimes the credit card bill information was off for me. There was also not a projected cash feature in Mint like Simplifi offers. Hope the credit card reminder with date and balance due feature comes on soon.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Mark A Brainard
    Options

Overall, I like the app. But there are 2 glaring shortcomings:

1. Year over year comparisions seem to be missing.
    2. Watchlist. Nice idea but rendered useless when future bills are added at beginning of month regardless of then they are actually paid. It distorts the whole picture.

Shouldn't the YoY comparison be a standard thing? You have the data, it's just a matter of adding the feature. The watchlist is a great new feature that Mint did not have. But is there a plan to make it accurate?

I like everything else. Fix these 2 things and I'm a happy customer.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    Options

One of your two suggestions already exists in the Community. Vote for it.

1. Year over year comparisons

2. Watchlist - take out future bills

I defer to the coaches to find an existing idea, I could not find any. I saw that an idea was requested to add pending/future bills to watchlists. If the feature does not exist, the idea will be to give the users the option to display or hide pending bills in the watchlist.

I agree, I enjoy using Simplifi as well.

Minter 2014-2023

• Sheri
    Sheri Member
    Options

We joined Simplifi last Friday. I still can't download my banking accounts. US Bank gives me an email that says they are all added, but they aren't. However, all our investments and credit cards are downloaded and functional. I have tried disabling my internet security program and turned off ad-blocker to this site. I'm looking for other suggestions of what to do to get all my US Bank banking accounts into Simplifi. Without those in place I can't even do/see all the features you are discussion on this thread. Plus I also need to import my CSV files from Mint. I'm really stuck!

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was thinking about point 2 today but from a different angle. I was lamenting how inaccurate the "projected spending" is in the watchlist, especially early in the month. Unpaid bills and subscriptions should probably be added to the projected spending rather than the actual spending, and that way on the 1st of the month it isn't telling you that you are projected to spend $9,000 on utilities because you have $300 in pending bills. Haven't gotten around yet to submitting this as an idea, or checking to see if it has already been submitted.

• Matt Anfang
    Matt Anfang Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm a minter since 2013. I did an actual LOL with your comment @UrsulaA "questionable Excel". Programs like Mint and now Simplifi are definitely a lifesaver for us to keep track of finances, goals, cyber security, and gives us financial peace in a time where things happen so quickly.

• Matt Anfang
    Matt Anfang Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Totally agree Dana, I appreciate this platform where we can create, vote, and see what updates are being worked on. The coaches here are awesome!

• rowshkex
    rowshkex Member
    Options

More feedback—I have had a lot of trouble importing old transactions. I have connected all my accounts from the financial institutions, and Simplifi has pulled all the transactions from the past two years, so I have had to manually import transactions from two years prior and earlier. No big deal—EXCEPT that Simplifi has a huge bug that prevents some of the transactions from being recognized when uploading. It SEEMS that the problem is however Simplifi recognizes Mint tags—many of my transactions that had a Mint tag simply go unrecognized and are not uploaded along with the rest of the transactions. I have tried uploading the missing transactions a second time and about 3/4 of them made their way into Simplifi, and the rest just don't show up. I tried talking to a "coach" but they were not helpful—they basically just told me to start over entirely, which isn't really reasonable. Please fix this bug!

…And another vote for getting the programmers to find a way to allow balance histories to be uploaded—this is the LAST thing that would get me solidly staying with Simplifi over the competitors!

• chana
    chana Member
    Options

Hello,

I was a minter for 14 years!!. Using Simplify for about 3wks.

As someone said before me, after reading all these comments I realize I was not a power user of Mint by any means. I used mint to know where my money was going each month and If I felt I was spending too much on "shopping" or any of those sneaky cats, then to try to restrain myself in future months, and overall, just to be conscious of it. Nothing too rigid in budget because I am mostly a thrifty person per se and live below my means as philosophy. Although I, at one point setup budgets I really never looked at them too much. What I did do was ensure my transactions were labeled correctly and looked at the spending reports, net income and net worth over time.

One thing I would like to see added is a way to customize reports and keep them that way. I ALWAYS look at my spending report over time for the past 12 months, NEVER by total, which seems to be the default in Simplify. I always have to change this again and again and it is annoying. Also, in MINT the spending report showed you a quick summary to the right of the screen with your Highest Month expense and the average monthly expense for the period of time you have selected (past 3mo, past 6 month or 12months). I wish this was added to the reports screen.

I am still figuring out things in Simplify and how to make things work for me. Really need to spend some time reading about how to handle different things. Due to cost of Simplify vs Monarch I for now will stick to Simplify.

• JustDave
    Options

Another Mint refugee, getting all my accounts synched went fairly smoothly, still exploring all of Simplifi's features. Biggest disappointment is the lack of the ability to rollover budget monthly overages or underages by category. Makes it difficult to include expenses that don't occur on a monthly basis in a budget.

• rjg5060
    rjg5060 Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie

I’m a new Simplifi customer that moved from Mint. Here are my thoughts and opinions on Simplifi.

Note that I primarily use the Android app and my comments are based on the app and not the website.

Positives:

Except for Fidelity HSA, account update is quick and seamless.

Nice dashboard with good summary info.

I like the Top Spending item on the dashboard.

There are lots of reporting options.

In many ways, Simplifi is similar to Mint.

Overall, a good product and a good replacement for Mint.

Negatives:

Major:

“All Transactions” are not really all transactions for all accounts but are only banking and credit card transactions. This is misleading and should be corrected.

There is no way to see all Investment transactions on the app. You have to select each Investment account to see investment transactions. A way to see all investment transactions is needed and should be added.

Credit card and other Payee values are automatically updated with sometimes bizarre and unnecessary values. For example, a restaurant called ‘Flying Dog Pub’ was automatically updated to Payee = ‘Flying J’ and was categorized as Gas & Fuel. I think you should give us the option to disable automatic updates of Payee values – I would prefer the original Payee value that comes from the bank or other financial institution.

Major bank credit card support for Bills & Payments. Mint had this and so should Simplifi.

Fix the problems with Fidelity HSA accounts.

Minor:

IMHO the summary box at the top of the dashboard should start with Net Worth rather than Banking. It seems more logical to start with the net worth total and then allow for scrolling to see breakdowns rather than the reverse.

For All Transactions, the Account Filter screen is a mess and doesn’t work correctly. I have a lot of accounts and I can’t tell how they are sorted. In addition, scrolling does not work. If All Transactions are not going to support Investment account transactions, the investment accounts should be removed from the filter. This should be cleaned up…

In Investments, get rid of the Related news section or give us an option to remove it. IMHO it’s not needed here.

Holdings that are only in 1 account do not display info on which account they are associated with. It does display each account when the holding is associated with more than one account.

Some of the spending reports include transactions that are marked as excluded from spending reports. For example, this is the case with the Spending by Month report.

Info on when each account was last updated would be helpful.

Thank you!

• John Dressel
    Options

Long-time Mint user here, still trying to learn my way around Simplifi. Struggling to link some accounts, specifically student loans. You wouldn't think it's that hard but I haven't been able to connect students loan from Citizens or CollegeAve…maybe the complexity is on their end? Maybe letting us supply the specific URL we're trying to reach rather than searching on bank name? Also, what is the list of candidates sorted by? It seems random. Loosing all my networth history is a shame. Having to re-classify all my Amazon purchases took hours and I only went back to July. Having to comb through all other transactions to try and catch some mistakes was time consuming and tedious. Not having the last sync time stamp for each account is a little frustrating. I really like the forward looking aspect of Simplify. With Mint I was always looking in the rearview mirror. The biggest reason I went with Simplifi is it's ability to connect to my two primary checking accounts at small credit unions - I tried a bunch of other apps using Yodlee, Plaid, and who-knows-what, and they handled the credit cards fine but couldn't connect with both credit unions.

• Frizhand
    Options

New to Simplifi and long-time former Mint user here. I agree with some of the other posts about the inability to compare spending over defined periods of time or the ability to compare spending over any timeframe I define. Year over year and month over month is great but I prefer to compare a previous month to the same month of a previous year (i.e., December 2023 to December 2022). Since spending month to month can vary (December is Christmas season, for example, and comparing to the previous December is more informative than comparing to November). Seems like a simple feature that everyone would want. I see this has been mentioned in other threads and I'll see if I can up-vote those comments but this is my biggest complaint about moving to Simplifi.

• ml12
    ml12 Member
    Options

I am reconsidering my switch to Simplifi due to its lack of connection to Citi. I will be leaving if it's not fixed soon. Apart from that, multiple uses mentioned better, Mint-like trends features that I would appreciate as well.

• Jas
    Jas Member ✭✭
    edited January 16
    Options

Ok, got it thanks. Must have missed that. I expected it to be listed in the list of recurring options when initially setting it up.

• Eloise
    Eloise Member
    Options

Can you make this as similar to Mint as possible? Clearly everyone loves it and it is the best. I've been trying all of the alternatives and none come close. The dashboard is REALLY lacking comparably and would seemingly be an easy fix. Being able to customize the view and default to what you want to see is top of the list.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Eloise

Are you sure that's a reasonable request? You have to at least acknowledge that Simplifi users use Simplifi BECAUSE of the way it looks and functions and we are not interested in something "as similar to Mint as possible." Otherwise we would have been using Mint.

Perhaps you should be petitioning Intuit to restore Mint. Another option would be to get a group of investors together to purchase the rights to Mint from Intuit and put it back on the market.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agree @DannyB

I am very happy with Simplifi and don’t want it to morph into a fundamentally different program. I did try Mint in the past and disliked it. However, I kept the account live for many years (5-7?) and would occasionally log in to see if my thoughts on it had changed; they never did.

I’m okay with Simplifi borrowing the best ideas from Mint and other software, but not with Simplifi becoming a clone of Mint.

When I was doing my research on software before, selecting Simplifi, I checked out somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 different programs. Ultimately, there are lots of other options out there for financial software so if you can’t acclimatize to Simplifi’s approach, then I’d encourage you to check out some other options.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks to @Coach Natalie and the Simplifi team for listening to feedback.

After a month of using Simplifi, I see two new features I wanted in my initial review implemented:

1. Bulk exclusions from reports and spending plan for transactions
    2. Reports that go back longer than 5 years

Having said that, an automated way to move available spending or overspending (negative amount) at the end of the month to the same category will be useful. This sounds like the rollover feature people have mentioned often.

I enjoy my simpler spending plan with bills and only 7 tiles at the most of planned spending by group. The watchlists are neat, I will like a progress bar on them showing how much I have left if a target is set. I voted for the corresponding feature request.

I am glad to see net worth import is coming up.

Simplifi is a helpful solution on its own. RIP Mint.

Minter 2014-2023

• Eloise
    Eloise Member
    Options

@DannyB I don't think anyone is here bc of this layout. Most of the comments I've read so far are asking for adjustments. Your later two suggestions are unrealistic and unhelpful and I do think based on ALL of the internet chatter there is a HUGE group of people who prefer the mint layout, yes.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19
    Options

@Eloise

It looks like the experienced Simplifi users are taking issue to this statement "Clearly everyone loves it and it is the best." regarding Mint. Not all Simplifi users come from Mint and picked Simplifi because of its features.

We all agree the app could improve but not by becoming Mint blindly. The spending plan and projected cash flows in Simplifi are differentiators that current users, including myself, appreciate. Mint did not have those features.

Minter 2014-2023

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    Options

@Eloise Most of the current user base was here before Mint announced it was being discontinued, and we chose this platform even though it's a paid service and Mint was not. Clearly, there's a lot that the majority of Q-Simplifi users prefer here over other platforms.

One of the most important aspects here is the encouragement to create and maintain proper budgeting practices. I used Mint for a few months, but realized it wasn't designed with proper budgeting techniques or even algorithms in mind, and I was learning to budget badly (*cough*rollover*cough*).

If you want a system more like Mint, I understand there are a few alternatives. But please don't criticize this one because it isn't a clone of Mint.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ajbopp *cough*rollever*cough* made me laugh. I get your point and have come to terms with the planned spending showing overspending in a month even though I underspent the month before. The planned spending or habits need adjustment if large variations from the planned spending occur.

I believe that having the option for an automated way to move available spending or overspending (negative amount) at the end of the month to the same category will be neat. I rather not overspend again in restaurants if I did so the month before, for example.

Minter 2014-2023

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    Options

Hi @Eloise

First, I apologize for my snarky remarks regarding my last two suggestions… those were uncalled for. Unfortunately the window to edit that post has closed, otherwise I would delete them.

All the new users has been quite exciting, though the circumstances for former Mint users is less than ideal.

I do want to affirm two things that I hope will make up for my unfortunate snarky and uncalled for remarks. First, the Simplifi team actively seeks out user input including user ideas and feature requests and possible ways to improve Simplifi. Second, this is a lively forum filled with user submitted ideas and feature requests to what we all think will make Simplifi an even better personal financial management app along with comments and discussion about those ideas.

For example, if you have some time, I invite you to click on the "Feature Requests" tile on the Community Homepage, you will find that there are 50 pages of request history dating back to the time of Simplifi Beta launch in 2019.

Another example is this ongoing discussion started by Simplifi's @Coach Natalie in July of 2022.

As a fellow user, I also welcome all input that may help with improving Simplifi, but at the same time, I invite you to consider the integrity of Simplifi as a distinct and unique product that offers it's own unique approach to personal financial management and planning that will require a bit of a shift in thinking and some learning, but that many of us have found Simplifi to be a great way to handle our money stuff.

One more time, sorry for my snarky remarks.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • markv
    markv Member
    Options

Firstly, thanks to the Simplifi engineering, product, and customer teams for all your effort. And to the community for the productive feedback.

I was admittedly sad to see Mint go, but have quickly pivoted to appreciating Simplifi, and much of the functionality I never knew I needed. Example: After being confused and resistant to the Spending Plan, I entered in all my income, bills, and subscriptions, and was thrilled to discover the "Projected Cash Flow" view, which I had previously been doing manually in a Google Sheet. 🤦‍♂️

Aside from some of the well-known and thoroughly discussed feature requests (improved transaction splitting, customizable dashboards, ability to exclude tags from reports, etc), I thought I'd humbly offer up a more general minor nit I have, which is Simplifi's love affair with pie charts. :) Purely from an information design perspective (particularly when it comes to budgeting), showing expenses as a bar chart tends to make much more sense, i.e. "I've budgeted $500 for food this month, and I'm close to going over", rather than "food makes up a much larger part of my overall monthly spending than movies" (which is likely true every month, and perhaps already obvious).

For users like me who log in every day and track spending progress, pie charts are almost never practical (at least based on how I use Simplifi). Whereas bar chart progress trackers like in "Planned spending", provide a much more practical at-a-glance view of how I'm doing. And if there were a line indicating the current day along the bar chart so I can see how I'm trending, that would be awesome.

Thanks again everyone!

• Bgz
    Bgz Member ✭✭
    Options

I have been using Mint since 2012. I imported all my transactions into Simplifi and have been testing it out for 6 weeks now. The import process could have been more streamlined, but in the end, it was worth the effort to bring all my transactions into Simpifi's categories and spending plan. 

Typically, I spend what I need to spend without going too crazy and without any impulsive purchases. I pay my credit card balances in full every month. I was not using Mint to control my expenses but rather keep track of it. To this effect, I had to create different budget categories and try to push every transaction into one of the categories just to get an overall idea at the end of the month/ year. This was a bit tedious but I kept on with the Mint program for as long as it existed.  

I got a free trial of Monarch and felt it was a lot more like Mint with more emphasis on budgeting rather than spending what you can and seeing where you spent the money. I ended up cancelling it within 2 weeks.

However, with Simplifi's spending plan, I like the more holistic approach where you could bring in all the recurring bills (those I cannot afford to miss paying!!!) and subscriptions (optional expenses) without having to force them into budgeting categories. I have created just 4 additional basic categories like Gas/ fuel, restaurants, groceries, and shopping in other spending to more accurately account for my expected monthly expenses with the spending plan. It is very cool to see how both sides of a credit card payment transfer are linked under the Transfer tab. This removes a lot of clutter and helps me keep track of all my credit card bills.

The other great tool is the report where I can now clearly see how much I have spent on Home or kids daycare etc etc with cool pie charts with options to drill down further. Recategorizing wrongly categorized transactions are much easier with the reports and drill down pie charts (happy to elaborate, if needed). I wish the iOS app would also get the pie charts option in the near future. 

There are a few things that could be done better- like having Simplifi calculate existing net worth imported from Mint. Investment tracking could be improved by providing cost basis analysis and total gain/ loss rather than just daily gain/ loss. Transanction splitting with different dates/ categories is another area for improvement.

I am thankful for my Mint days that taught me how to budget and be a thrifty spender but I am equally happy to use Simplifi's more holistic approach. Overall, I feel Simplifi's spending plan is better suited for my style of finance management. 

• EricH
    EricH Member
    Options

Going back to the lack of a way to import and reflect total Networth History coming from Mint. This is still a big gap for me and many users. It still does not seem to have a solution or work around either.

1. Mint allows networth history to be exported, so why not offer a way to import that as a work around? Perhaps just color coding or denoting the data points that were purely imported history (vs the new/detailed consolidate networth data points since starting in Simplifi)? That would seem like an easy and elegant solution.
    2. I've imported the history of all my individual accounts into Simplifi, so why can't Simplifi reflect that in the networth history going back as far as the history in each imported account goes?

Personally, I'd be happy with either solution as a vast improvement to the "zero solution" state for networth history we face at this time.

This is a big one. Networth History was probably the top report I visited on Mint(perhaps a bit obsessively!) and it provided the number one incentive and motivation to me daily, in a balanced financial way. While Simplifi is very nice and I've adapted to the other features well to meet my needs, I will always feel a bit lost at sea without a way to see a meaningful networth history at a glance, to see the trend and trajectory over many many past years (prior to joining Simplifi).

Thank you, I really hope a solution or work around is coming soon.

Eric

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Minter 2014-2023