New Account Type: Gift Card

Options
EL1234
EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2021 in Feature Requests
I would suggest another Bank Account Type called Gift Card. Sometimes I have a gift card balance at Amazon, or a store gift card, and I'd like to categorize the individual purchases and track the gift card balance. I am able to do this with a manual account but it's a bit confusing to choose "Checking" as the Account type when creating the account.

Thanks!
12 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It would probably also be nice to have an account type for Cash! I use a "checking account" to track my cash spending the same way. I'd even 'file' gift cards under Cash, it makes more sense than to file them under Checking Account.
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I like this idea, and voted accordingly.  The CASH account type suggested by @EL1234 would be even more beneficial though!
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Donni
    Donni Member
    Options
    I set up all non bank accounts, such as cash or gift cards, as "Other Banking" accounts and it is working well for me.
  • asubbaiyanprof
    asubbaiyanprof Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
     "other Banking" works in most cases for me.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello All, 

The Community Support Team reviews long-standing Idea posts for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and we would like to gauge the current level of interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this Idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this request would be beneficial for you. More details on voting for Idea posts can be found in our FAQ here

Thank you,

Simplifi Community Support Team

• kgpreet
    Options

It would be incredibly useful to pull in transactions that were fulfilled by a gift card automatically. For example:

- I purchase a $50 cinemark gift card at Costco on 06/07 for $40 and I use that gift card on 08/09 to purchase $20 a movie ticket. Ideally this would be represented by a "transfer" of $40 into the gift card account and then a withdrawal of $20. (The extra $10 can be manually added as a balance adjustment)

- I purchase a Starbucks gift card from Target $100 and use it at Starbucks for the next 3 months. Ideally the initial purchase would show up as a transfer into the Starbucks account and then each subsequent purchase would show up as a transaction. This helps me to more accurately track my spend each month.