Split transactions should be treated as separate transactions (2 Merged Votes)

124»

Comments

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'll also point out that if you are paying with actual cash, you can enter it as two separate cash transactions instead of one transaction split in two.

• robh
    robh Member

I want to also repeat the necessity of this. For example:

I paid my car insurance today. It was for a 6-mo policy. I want to be able to split that into 6 transactions so that the cost of that policy is felt each month instead of just today. And there are other examples as well, where I'm making purchases for things that span months.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭

I think I'd be more inclined to use savings goals for that.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭

Agree, the example of insurance bills over 6 months is a good Saving Goal item.

• kkw.1991
    kkw.1991 Member

I would really like the ability to adjust dates for split transactions, please.

• Pianist718
    Pianist718 Member

YES … this is the only thing that bothers me about Simplifi.

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭

If this has not been mentioned, here is another reason for a true split. Exclude from Spending Plan needs to be part of the Split. As of now, I have to exclude the entire transaction as Exclude from Spending Plan.

• I split a transaction
    • One of the splits I would like to exclude from Spending Plan as I have a Goal for that, "vacation" set up
    • The other split is just a normal expense
    • At the moment, I can only exclude both transactions.

Here is an example, I go to Costco and buy groceries and an Airline gift card. I split to Groceries and Vacation. I want to exclude Vacation but currently cannot.

Help!

Thanks

• BrandonG
    BrandonG Member

This request has been outstanding since 2020, will Quicken ever fix it?

• pixie813
    pixie813 Member

I find the way split transactions work in Simplifi to be EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING for this very reason. Can we please up the priority on this and get this in the queue? I am just about begging for this, and can't find a reasonable workaround.

• Chiming in, need to have feature for me! Especially on bigger purchases, the ability to space out over time is crucial.

• thoux9
    thoux9 Member

Once you split transactions, all of the splits are shown within the same transaction (child of main). That only allows me to change categories.

Ideally, the splits will become their own transaction, and that would allow me to change dates on the splits, or make one of the split not count towards summary or reports….in general will provide more freedom.

• RA1
    RA1 Member

Allow users to assign different dates to each split under a transaction. This was a feature on Mint that was useful for expenses with partial reimbursement or taking time to pay off a large transaction.

• not to belabor the point, but that’s also an important feature to me to allow splits with different dates. Case in point - the other day my wife went to the ATM and we had to take out $20 and $60 for different things (crossing months), so she was going to take out $80. I asked her to make it two separate ATM transactions to which she replied “is it for that stupid Mint thing?” (Simplifi, but close enough). For the sake of marital bliss, please add this feature!

• Sarafin2334
    Sarafin2334 Member

I vote for this feature. It absolutely drives me crazy that split transactions don't show up as two separate transactions, wit their corresponding categories.

Any idea when this feature request will be implemented?

• makoberk
    makoberk Unconfirmed, Member

This request has been out there since 2020 and Simplifi still has not address it???? I'm a previous Mint user and new to Simplifi. I used the split transactions for the first time expecting to see the split transaction amount reported under their respective categories instead as a total amount. It would seem intuitive to show the separate split transaction amount instead of the total. Please correct this. This was a great feature in Mint. At least give us an update on whether this is being worked on.

• mgb
    mgb Member

Agree with makoberk - I'm a former Mint user and used the split feature all the time. I need to track reimbursements for work and had previously used tags and split transactions to track which part of a transaction should be reimbursed. Now when I pull up a tag, it shows the full transaction so I have to go into each transaction to figure out that portion rather than get a total right away. The only workaround I have found is download a full csv, and sort the month by tag - even then I have to do a step first to copy the main account and payee for each split otherwise when sorted the transaction info is blank so I don't know what the split was for. Not to mention the notes apply to the full transaction when really those notes are needed per split so I know what each split was for. Even the workaround is messy.

• jdtrujillo
    jdtrujillo Member

Being able to see split transactions as separate transactions and being able to modify the date for each of those transactions was one of the strongest features that Mint had. As an avid Mint user since 2008 it is a real shame to see that Simplifi doesn't have this built-in yet. The total for the transaction for a split transaction almost defeats the purpose of having the split transaction feature altogether.

Please add this feature because it will make Simplifi a very powerful tool. Thank you.

• alzsky
    alzsky Member

I mostly agree with Simplifi's ad, describing it as a "powerful" and "easy-to-use tool." HOWEVER, until it includes showing split transactions as separate transactions, it does not have "all the essentials of your financial journey" or a "fully customizable spending plan." I'm surprised, and disappointed, that something with so many great options does not have this one basic and much needed option. Please add this feature! Thank you!

• Ajcam44
    Ajcam44 Member

Is there any update on this feature requests from the developers? There was a note about 2024; we're now half way through and I'm not sure if I should be looking for another solution at this point. Even an update on the CSV export would be a huge help and has to be extremely simple and low to no risk to implement. I have to assume that LITERALLY NOBODY using the CSV export is happy with how it currently shows the data; it is unusable in its current state.

Use the funding from the influx of ex-mint customers to fund this development before they don't renew next year.

• eadkins20
    eadkins20 Member

I completely agree. I Often buy something in one transaction and then maybe return one part of it, but since it doesn't automatically zero out the amount in the spending plan I have to hide the the transactions when I return them. Impossible to do without messing it all up if the transaction included other things

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭

4 years over 200 votes…It would be great to hear from a coach on this one. Thanks.

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭

I do this a lot and as long as the purchase and return transactions have the same category, the amount of the return is deducted from the spending plan correctly. (Also as long as the dates are in the same month - if not, rollover helps.)

• TomL
    TomL Member

I am a fan of Simplifi; however, like others in this thread, I would like an update on the fix to exported split transactions. I use pivot tables to summarize my yearly tax data. Not having data in all the exported split transaction columns screws up the pivot tables as well as other basic spreadsheet functions such as sorting and filtering. To be blunt, a spreadsheet with rows that have missing data is pretty useless. The work-around of manually copying and pasting all the missing data is not acceptable; it is tedious and error prone. Please provide an ETA for this fix.

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

I see a version of this idea has been implemented for transactions viewed in Reports, Watchlists, and the Spending Plan — and better yet, when exporting from those areas, the CSV spreadsheet includes separate and fully populated lines for each portion of the split transaction.

Will this also be implemented for viewing and exporting from the "Transactions" list (i.e., not in Reports, Watchlists, or Spending Plan)?

I hope so, as the Transactions area is much more customizable with regards to what activity is viewed and exported, but it is very frustrating to only receive an incomplete list when exported.

• This is not it ... you can split, BUT you can't chabge dates for every split transaction. That is what we need. I may pay a bill that covers a utility for 6 months. I want to split it in 6 and assign each to separate month

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't personally care about changing dates within a split transaction (although I know that is important to some people). What this new feature offers is the ability to see each separate portion of the the split transaction online and in a CSV export but only when viewing or exporting from Reports, Watchlists, and the Spending Plan. My hope is that this feature carried over to the Transaction register as well.

• Mercs
    Mercs Member ✭✭

I need the ability to categorize a split transaction with 2 different merchants. For example, if I pay for a friend at 2 different restaurants and they then send a single PayPal to me to reimburse, I'd like to split it and categorize each part as the restaurant I paid for so my friend's portion gets cancelled out. This way I can still see that I paid the full amount but in reports and things it only shows the amount I actually paid for myself.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pianist718 , why not just use Simplifi’s already available Recurring Series for this? It is designed specifically to let you see all the individual transactions all in one place so you can see trends over the course of the year with a specific bill. What benefit does it provide to split a billing Payee at the transaction level?

Apparently, there’s something I just don’t understand about this very popular Idea Post. I don’t see how a transaction with a separate date isn’t a separate transaction…that’s how it cleared the bank.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.