Split transactions should be treated as separate transactions (2 Merged Votes)

Options

Comments

• dsfreddy
    dsfreddy Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Have not found an explanation by Simplifi of the purpose of its split functionality. I am not sure a one to one correspondence between the list of transactions in Simplifi (called the register by some?) and what I'd see at my banks website is a fundamental requirement. My request is that split transactions, when exported, inherit traits from their parent record. Here is what these look like now:

account

state

postedOn

payee

usage

category

tags

notes

amount

Credit Card 1

CLEARED

9/28/2023

Our Dentist

SPLIT

$0.00

Health:Dentist-Jack

Health:Dentist-Jill

Checking 1

CLEARED

7/31/2023

Atm Wthdrwl On 07/31 @ 11:09 Us Debitcard, Pos, Withdrawal, Processed

SPLIT

$0.00

Cash & ATM:ATM-Jack

Cash & ATM:ATM-Jill

These child records should inherit account, state ("status" in transaction detail), postedOn ("date"), and payee from their parent record. It makes no sense to create a CSV file without that information. Displaying these child records in the transaction list is another matter. Not sure I care either way about that.

• felgato71
    Options

PLEASE FIX THE SPLIT TRANSACTION FEATURE!! I am trying to rectify my budget and applying a $10K credit to two different expenses but the full credit shows up in two categories throwing each budget way off. Why is this so hard to fix??

• adityaag
    adityaag Member
    Options

I often send money to family for a shared cell phone plan. I bundle this payment up to be once every N number of months. Mint allowed me to separate that single transaction into multiple fully independent transactions, each with a custom date, etc.

I'm looking to do the same with Simplifi.

• jburtle
    jburtle Member
    Options

+1 on this request. This feature is vital for me and is the first thing I look for in a budgeting service.

The only part that matters to me personally is the ability to change the date on each split of a transaction. I find myself doing this multiple times a month for a multitude of reasons. Luckily Simplifi's "Savings Goals" eliminates one of those uses, allowing a way to split annual transactions into monthly contributions.. However, I use this feature to fill in unused funds from previous months throughout the year and countless other reasons that come up as life is quite unpredictable.

Here's a quick example with Mint. I've automated as much of my bills as possible, but this one slipped through the cracks and I forgot to contribute 100 to my brokerage account last month. This month I contributed 200 because I assumed I could assign one of the splits to last month.

Before:

After:

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also, the transaction list on the web version and mobile app should have an option to expand the split transaction on the table itself instead of having to click on the view transaction area.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm looking at how that looks in the register, and I don't like it. When I want to compare a transaction at my bank, to a "split separately transactions" that was originally one transaction, it won't be easy to align the bank $$ amount with the $$ amount in the register because the whole amount is not there. I think that's a bad design, and probably a large reason mint shut down.,

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mint shut down because it costs money to aggregate the data for people and the advertising they had in it did not generate enough income for Intuit. The split transaction feature was not why Mint shut down.

I will be OK with still showing the entire transaction amount on the transaction list but need a choice to expand the transaction on the list without opening it.

Also, the CSV should repeat the info of the parent transaction in the child/divided transactions.

Minter 2014-2023

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

While in the Transactions tab, I'd like to view all Split Transactions without having to open the transaction itself. It would also be helpful to have notes per split.

Thanks

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Max1223 For the notes idea, please add your vote here.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited January 18
    Options

@Max1223, it sounds like you're looking for what's been requested here: [removed link to merged thread]

Can you confirm, please? Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not sure what you want to confirm, but I'd like to see all the Split transactions as separate lines in the Transactions tab vs having them show —-Split—-

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd like to view the individual splits of a Transaction direct in the Transactions tab and NOT have to open the transaction itself to see the splits.

• KDC1996
    KDC1996 Member ✭✭
    Options

+1 upvote on this.

Just used "split transaction" on an Amazon order the other day and exported as CSV to see how it was handled…. I was blown away by the absolute mess of how it is handled in export… The main transaction shows $0 (With all the key info on), then the legs under it with the actual amounts show NO KEY data fields (Except the category, but that's only one piece of the puzzle).

This could be worked around in excel if you create a separate table to fill in the blanks, but it is fully dependent on the sorted order and just does not make sense from a data standpoint to rely on this. From a product that literally is all about data management, this completely blows my mind that the transactions are exported like they are.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wonder if splitting the transaction as separate transactions will cause matching issues when importing transactions from another source. If the source has the split as separate transactions but Simplifi treats the split as one transaction, the totals won't match. Something to consider with this request.

I see how treating splits as separate transactions helps. We can then add such to recurring bills and transfers.

@KDC1996 - there is a feature request regarding more detailed CSV exports. Vote for it.

Minter 2014-2023

• pullella
    Options

Inheriting the date, account and notes, etc is a must have. if you are exporting the data into excel and summarizing your data, the "orphaned" records make the entire "summarize in excel" a non-starter.

• dsfreddy
    dsfreddy Member ✭✭
    Options

Fixing the the CSV export records should be simple and it is hard to see why anyone would object.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18
    Options

From your text, sounds like the request Coach Natalie suggested will fit your need if implemented. Vote for it.

[removed link to merged thread]

Minter 2014-2023

• bobmablob
    Options

This would be a really crucial feature add for me or anyone else who receives lump reimbursements. I have medical expenses that rack up and are submitted as super bills. Once insurance FINALLY gets around to reimbursing, I get lump sum checks. In mint, I was able to split those lump sums across transactions I’d flagged in prior months. This isn’t possible in Simplifi.

• Feelenjoy
    Options

coming over from mint. Would really like to be able to split a transaction and apply the separate parts to separate recurring subscriptions.

Use case: Apple bills two or three (variable) recurring App Store subscriptions in the same transaction. I’d like to be able to set them up independent of each other in simplifi.

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I’d like this feature as well. Here is a workaround. Create two or how ever manual transactions to represent the splits. Then delete the downloaded transaction. This is not ideal, but if you must have it, then this would work. 

I’m starting to find that Simplifi requires work arounds to get results that other products like Mint provided. Simplifi is really close and works well in many ways, but also falls short on what seems to be simple and basic, but important features.

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is where Split Transactions in Simplifi is broken.

In Reports, splits show the total and not the split amount:

1. View a report
    2. Click on a category that contains a split
    3. You'll see the split and the TOTAL amount of the transaction, but
    4. NOT the split amount that contributes to the category.
    5. NOT the category itself, it just shows “—split—“

While the total $’s add up correctly in the charts, the line item view is wrong by showing the total transaction amount and not the split.

@Coach Natalie @UrsulaA @RobWilk thoughts here?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

The charts show the split category allocation in reports. The table will show the split transaction with the entire amount. Click on the transaction to see the breakdown.

What you describe is the expected behavior. It is also noted why you voted for this feature request.

Minter 2014-2023

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are referring to point 3 in my notes. I have to disagree about expected behavior. I think the expected behavior after clicking a chart with a specific category e.g Groceries, you would see the matching Category Grocery in the table and the amount of that transaction. NOT the total of the non split transaction and not see the category itself. Yes, I can click into the transaction to see the detail, but that doesnt make the table view accurate as the table reflects the total non split amount, that doesnt match with Groceries for that line item.

I think being able to see splits as separate transactions would have allowed my expected behavior per the title of this string.

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here’s maybe a more clear example. I spend $500 at Costco, Split the transaction into $300 for Groceries and $200 for Home Supplies. I do a filtered Report on Groceries and you’ll see in the table:

Costco - - - Split - - - $500 (this does not reflect a filtered search on Groceries)

I thought I would see

Costco Groceries $300 (the actual split amount)

What is interesting is Simplifi does get the chart total correct so it can parse out the data, but somehow does not parse data in the table.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The request here is clear, you want the split transaction to show as separate transactions in the table to match your idea of expected behavior. It is up to the Simplifi developers to implement this. The example you provided is understood and clear.

Minter 2014-2023

• Thomas56
    Thomas56 Member
    Options

Where are the instructions for simply Splitting a transaction? This thread started in 2020 and somewhere in the intervening three years it was explained but I seem to have overlooked this as this thread started into the separate issue of data/exporting/Excel. I would like to simply split a transaction, for now.

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Thomas56 if you open the transaction, you'll see the ability to split.

• Thomas56
    Thomas56 Member
    Options

Thank you. I rarely Open a Transaction but sure enough, there it is. Thank you