Ability to un-cancel/reopen an Ended Recurring Series (edited)

JayT
JayT Member ✭✭
edited February 2022 in Feature Requests
It would be great to be able to un-cancel a previously cancelled recurring transaction series. Subscriptions (streaming services as an example) may sometimes be cancelled and then renewed at various points in the year. This would allow subscriptions to be turned on and off while maintaining the linked transactions in the history.

Deleting the cancelled series and creating a new one is not feasible as there is no way to bulk assign transactions to a new recurring series (must be done one by one) to link the history.

A recurring series "pause" feature would also be nice for this situation, but the ability to un-cancel a series would also help if a recurring series is cancelled by mistake.
28 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @JayT,

Thanks for posting your request to the Community!

You may also consider adding your vote and feedback here: https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/2102/ability-to-pause-skip-payments-in-recurring-bills-subscriptions/p1?new=1 :smiley:

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we have the ability to disable recurring reminders (short term / long term) without deleting them? - - - Maybe an "[ ] enabled" checkbox which is checked by default.

Example use case: Government funding stops, and government income needs to be cut off for an undefined period. OR maybe i just want to experiment with what happens to cash flow if i stop individual recurring reminders, but may want to re-enable them.

—Rob

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited October 2023

Hey @RobWilk!

Do either of these existing Ideas cover what you're looking for?

-Coach Natalie

[removed link to merged thread]

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

The un-cancel one might be effectively the same, I'll add my vote to that if i haven't already.

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Adding a comment to push this back to the top. This would be a very useful option.

Occasionally, I'll take advantage of a free offer or something from streaming services like this, watch what I want to watch, and then shut them down again since their monthly fee isn't in the budget.

It would be useful to have a "Restore series" option here. This would allow me to preserve the history instead of having to create a brand new Recurring Series the next time I spool up Paramount+. Then I could see when I had them last and how much I've wasted on them over the years.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • The easiest option would be to allow for closed recurring series to be reopened. Failing that, I'd suggest a toggle between active and closed recurring series when you go to link a transaction to a series.

I have a recurring series that I have to add as a new series because it stops periodically and, while I can see which is active due the active series being blue and the closed series being gray, a toggle would prevent miscategorization of recurring series.

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd like the same. That way, ending a series would act more like a "pause" and allow us to resume them when needed.

• ParleyBurnett
    ParleyBurnett Member
    edited September 4

Would really appreciate this… Now, I have to create multiple reoccurring series and no way to merger them later :(…

And no, the ability to pause or skip an item in the schedule doesn't address this. I want the ability to look at ALL my ACTIVE recurring series… and not have to keep a handful around just in case I might want to subscribe to them in a year or more from now.

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

I will vote for this as well. And I wouldn't mind being able to re-open closed accounts. It happens sometimes.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (MacOS) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Yes, Google Play and streaming services let you pause a subscription. Simplifi should be the same.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• shandranancy
    shandranancy Member
    edited September 8

i think it would be great if we could reactivate cancelled bills/subscriptions instead of having to create a whole new one if we re-subscribe/re-sign up for the same bill/subscription.

for example, say i had a netflix subscription so I created a subscription under bills & payments but after a few months i cancel the subscription so i also cancel it also in the bills & payments section as i no longer need to track it. then some time later I decide to re-subscribe to netflix again. currently I would need to create a new subscription under bills & payments if I want to start tracking the sub in the spending plan instead of just reactivating a cancelled bill/subscription in bills & payments. it would avoid potentially multiple duplicates of the same bill/subscription and less clutter in that section.

[Merged Post]

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8

This request already exists and has 20 votes. Check it out. With more votes, the chances for consideration rise.

Ability to un-cancel/reopen an Ended Recurring Series (edited) — Simplifi (simplifimoney.com)

[Merged Post]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• shandranancy
    shandranancy Member
    edited September 8

@UrsulaA I am terrible at searching for similar threads apparently 😅 thank you!

[Merged Post]

• this would be great! it would be so helpful if we could pause a bill/subscription or restore a cancelled one

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

Well this morning I went in to update my recurring series for my lawn service and found it was cancelled. I must have entered an end date without thinking about it. Normally I just have it every two weeks and come October I change the next occurrence to March, which is what I intended to do.

So I deleted the Cancelled Series since it won't let me re-start it. 😧 I created a new one and had to go back over the last 3 years to relink every transaction to the series. I had to do this because it through off my past Spending Plans! I now have the next occurrence set for March 18. And will TRY to remember not to set an end date. If there is a better way to do this, please let me know.

I see no reason not to be able to un-cancel recurring or re-open a closed account. I upvoted this a while back. I would upvote it 10 more times if I could. @JayT

Steve

• budgetj75
    budgetj75 Member ✭✭✭

+1, I found some that were marked cancelled (no idea why), so would like to see this as well.

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@budgetj75 That happened to me recently because I had marked an end date meaning that it would end on first Tuesday in October but I planned to restart it in March. I had to redo the whole series. It was my fault. I too was surprised initially when i saw it had been canceled. I don't say you did that but I post as a warning to others.

What I have to remember to do is after my last one in October, I set the next instance for March. I suppose I could have a series every Spring but that seems kind of repetitive. I am sure that is what the Simplifi folks intended. 😀

Steve