AMEX High Yield Savings accounts not connecting (edited)

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

@vladimird, thank you!

When viewing your connection attempts from our end, it doesn't look like you've attempted to connect to American Express since 5/19, and the latest error code was an FDP-102 error. I don't see that the FDP-109 error has occurred since the 17th, which was 11 days ago. With that, can you give this a fresh try in Quicken Simplifi and let us know how it goes, please?

-Coach Natalie

• vladimird
    vladimird Member

I just tried all 3 American Express options I got the same errors I previously mentioned.

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @vladimird,

Thanks for your patience! We went ahead and got this issue escalated for you. We will post updates as we receive them here.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

EWC - 11087007

• Coach Jon

Hello @vladimird,

We have an update on your escalated issue. We would like you to please try visiting your bank's website via incognito mode and changing your password. Once changed, please visit Quicken Simplifi and reconnect the account, while still in incognito mode. Let us know how that goes!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• vladimird
    vladimird Member
    edited May 31

@Coach Jon Just tried that, didn't work with any of the AmEx options. Sent feedback in the app

• Coach Jon

Hello @vladimird,

Thanks for following up! We resubmitted the new information to our team and will continue to provide updates on this issue for you.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Coach Jon
    edited June 4

Hello @vladimird,

I have new steps to take from our service provider you will want to follow:

You will want to log in to your bank's website. You will be presented to enter your Social Security number and then your Home zip code, please do so and click Next. Then it will redirect to the authentication process and after that, you will need to create a new password. Afterward, use the latest credentials and try accessing the bank in our product to see if the issue persists. If it does, please report back with an error page screenshot from the product along with an account summary screenshot from the bank website.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Coach Jon

Hello @vladimird,

I am just following up to see if you had the chance to try these new steps provided. Please let us know!

-Coach Jon

• vladimird
    vladimird Member

It only presents the SSN and zip if I initiate password change, it didn't do it automatically on login. Either way, it still doesn't work with all the same error messages as before. The screenshot I dm'd you is still valid.

• Coach Jon
    edited June 19

Hello @vladimird,

Thank you for the reply. We have resubmitted the ticket, and I will continue to provide updates as we receive them for this issue going forward.

Thank you for your patience!

-Coach Jon

EWC - 11087007

• Coach Jon

Hello @vladimird,

We have an update from our service provider for you regarding this issue. We will need to set up a customer call with you for further troubleshooting. You can provide the below data to me via DM if that is what you prefer.

1. Confirm that the email address and phone number listed on your Quicken Simplifi Account are your best contact info.
    2. Provide your general availability over the next few weeks, and please also include your time zone with this.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• contactcr
    contactcr Member

Now that "American Express Bank FSB" connection option returns:

Fix account connection
    (Care code: FDP-390)
    Your account connection no longer works, but we have a new & improved way to connect to your financial institution

This seems more relevant than ever. I had this connection specifically for my savings accounts because it didn't require the code every time I refreshed my accounts. Now when I use your flow to "Fix" my connection it only tries to pull in credit cards (which I already have using the "American Express" connection type). Replacing a connection specifically tailored to savings accounts that doesnt even pull in savings accounts is a pretty big problem. Please escalate this.

• Coach Jon

Hello @contactcr,

Thanks for reaching out! I would have you try connecting to the American Express and American Express - Banking instances in Quicken Simplifi to see if those work for you and bring your accounts over. Let us know!

-Coach Jon

• contactcr
    contactcr Member

The "American Express" connection now pulls in Savings accounts, excellent. Why would you not send the existing FSB accounts to that? The "- Banking" version is no good but that's what the UI tries to convert you to. How do I keep my existing transactions from FSB but still either reset my existing "American Express" one with credit cards attached or convert the FSB one to American Express and not -Banking.

• Coach Jon

Hello @vladimird,

Thank you for the DM! Since American Express is beginning to migrate other account types to oauth, we do not know if that includes HYS accounts. We do know that the American Express Bank FSB instance is now discontinued. I would have you try using the American Express instance, as @contactcr has had success bringing his savings HYS accounts over with that instance. Let us know if that works for you too!

@contactcr, Thank you for letting us know that the American Express instance worked for you! This can definitely help other users going forward. As for what you can do to keep your transaction history and account data, you can make the accounts manual and then use the Add Account flow to get a completely fresh connection. If the connection is successful, you'll then want to link the accounts to your existing Quicken Simplifi accounts. Be sure to use the American Express instance again since that worked in bringing your HYS accounts over.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• contactcr
    contactcr Member

@Coach Jon I spoke too soon. The OAUTH does show my savings account in the popup to "Authorize" but when I "return to Quicken" it doesn't show the savings account(s) only the credit cards.

So neither "American Express" or "American Express - Banking" brings in Savings accounts.

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Coach Jon Starting yesterday I cannot connect to Amex Savings either in Quicken or Simplifi. I got a message from Quicken about a change in connection but it didn't make any difference. Quicken Support told me to disconnect both my Amex Credit Card and Savings and add them back one at a time. The Credit Card worked but not Savings.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (MacOS) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• Coach Jon

Hello @contactcr,

Thanks for the information. Are the savings accounts check marked in the Authorization window? If you could provide a screenshot this would help us determine what is happening here. Feel free to DM me if you prefer.

-Coach Jon

• Coach Jon

Hello @contactcr,

Thanks for the DM! I would suggest making all of your American Express accounts using that instance manual first. It looks like Quicken Simplifi is recognizing a former connection already. After you have made your American Express accounts manual, you will then want to proceed with the Add Account flow to get a completely fresh connection and link your accounts. This should allow you to bring the accounts over at that time. You can view your already connected accounts in Settings > Accounts.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• contactcr
    contactcr Member

When I create a new connection and check every account it still brings in only the first two credit cards and skips the savings accounts even though they are checked.

• Coach Jon

Hello @contactcr,

Thanks for the quick reply! Let's have you try connecting the HYS accounts using the American Express - Banking instance in Quicken Simplifi. Let us know if that works!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• contactcr
    contactcr Member

That account type does not work either. Both as a "new" account and when I was doing the suggested flow from my old FSB account. (the savings accounts are now changed to manual as per your suggestion).

That one also shows just credit cards. The only difference is it also shows an additional "authorized user" account from one of those credit cards but no savings accounts come through. Also, that one (at least months ago) constantly required the email code so I would hope you put your resources into making the OAUTH version work correctly before trying to fix this type.

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@contactcr @Coach Jon I can confirm completely contactcr's experience. And it is the same in Quicken Classic.

Steve

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

Simplifi Support says Amex no longer supports Savings downloads so they cannot help us. Amex says they don't and they don't care. So who has suggestions for high interest savings accounts that support Quicken?

Steve

• Coach Jon
    edited June 28

Hello everyone,

It is our understanding that any accounts previously connected to the American Express Bank FSB option need to be switched to the American Express - Banking option. You will want to make the accounts manual and then use the Add Account flow to get a completely fresh connection. If the connection is successful, you'll then want to link the accounts to your existing Quicken Simplifi accounts.

If anyone is unable to connect their High Yield Savings account using the American Express - Banking option after following these steps, please let us know. We can submit some escalations to determine what's going on and how to proceed. To submit an escalation, we'll need the following info:

1. Has there been any activity in the account in the last 90 days?
    2. Is the account considered an external account (i.e. are you redirected to a different website when selecting the account on the bank's website)? If so, what URL are you redirected to?
    3. Is the account a subtype of a different account?
    4. Has the bank made any recent changes to its website or sign-in process?
    5. Are you the owner of the account?
    6. The name of the account, as it appears on the bank's website.
    7. If the issue is occurring on an existing Quicken Simplifi account, the name of the account as it appears in Quicken Simplifi.
    8. A screenshot of the Accounts Summary page from the bank's website (the page that lists all accounts and balances - feel free to redact any private info) that has a wide enough scope to show the page URL (this must be taken from a web browser and not a mobile browser).
    9. A screenshot of the Add Account screen in Quicken Simplifi showing that the account in question is missing at account discovery.

Please also submit your logs via the 'Send Feedback' option:

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

-Coach Jon

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Coach Jon No, it doesn't work. The banking site doesn't recognize my credentials because Amex has combined Savings and Credit Cards into one logon. The old banking logon is gone. I cannot find it; only the American Express login and if I use it, it will show the Savings but won't link it.

BTW, Simplifi Support says that Amex Savings is no longer supported. Quicken hasn't answered yet. Amex says they don't support Quicken because of "security reasons". I told them this was bull. Chase, Capital One, Fidelity, and all the rest do it.

Steve

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

@SRC54, thanks for the reply!

I'm not aware of High Yield Savings accounts with Amex not being supported in Quicken Simplifi. Everything from our end states that Checking and Savings accounts need to be linked to the "American Express - Banking" option, and Credit Card accounts will work on the "American Express" option, which is on the OAuth API connection. Can you elaborate on what happens when using the "American Express - Banking" option, please? You said it doesn't recognize your credentials — do you get an FDP-103 error? Have you tried both the new and old log in info?

-Coach Natalie

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

Well, it said the FDP-103 error originally, I think, but I followed instructions and made it a manual account. Now it will not recognize my credentials for the banking option. It tells me they are wrong. They're not wrong. But that site where I used the credentials is gone.

My credentials for americanexpress.com work fine. I even changed them, and that is where I go to see my credit card and savings information. If I use that site, it finds my accounts and lets me check to add the Savings account, and says that it is authorized, but when I return to Simplify (or Quicken), it says I have no additional accounts to add.

@Coach Natalie

Steve

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28

By the way, here is the screenshot that Simplifi Support sent me FWIW. Amex has maintained this for a while, but we did get it to work. Is there anyone on here who has gotten it to work since Wed?

@Coach Natalie

Steve

• contactcr
    contactcr Member

@Coach Natalie the "American Express - Banking" did end up working for my Savings accounts today. Yesterday i'm pretty certain it did not show those additional accounts. This is a huge downgrade though cause it's going to constantly require the Re-authentication Key. Is there a roadmap for Savings accounts working in the OAUTH connection?

This discussion has been closed.