Use OAuth APIs everywhere they are available (Chase, Bank of America, etc.)

Options
13»

Comments

• BlueWRXPride
    Options

Thank you. It seems to me that one of the take-aways from this thread is that connections using OAuth are preferrable to having an aggregation partner handle the connection. So is the implication that if a company is not listed here, then an aggregation partner is being used?

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@BlueWRXPride

That's the way I read it.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • BlueWRXPride
    Options

Hello, I was wondering if there was an estimate to when OAuth would be available for Ally Bank and TIAA? I know it's available for Ally ( https://developer.ally.com/get-started ) so it seems like Simplifi should get that implemented. I'm not sure if TIAA has an API available or not.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am going to add my voice to the ones saying the CITI connection needs to support either OAUTH or AT LEAST 2fa. Yes, I'm not really in a position to complain (I'm half in a free/paid state of my Quicken Simplifi Account), but I hear the other users talking about this, and I too have a citibank credit card. The CITI card was my primary use card for the last 4-5 months, but I just got a better APR rewards card so it may become less used. But still, supporting 2fa (text codes or whatever) would seem to be important and seems to be in demand.

I completely understand that a THIRD PARTY (either FinCity or INTUIT) handles the bank connections, but maybe there's a way to pressure them to focus on getting this connection fixed.

The bigger problem with this is that I can't SECURE my web/app login for CITI with 2FA. I don't really care if simplifi gets prompted for 2Fa or not, but I cannot turn on web/app (citbank website or citibank app) 2fa with Simplifi not supporting it. It is a security risk.

Admittedly, I don't think someone with access to my credit card on the citibank website can actually spend any money, so it may not be that high risk.

Rob Wilkens

• ppasknyc
    ppasknyc Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie any update on adding Citibank 0Auth capability ?

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18
    Options

@ppasknyc Looks like Citi OAUTH is there for me as of this morning, just had to click the lightning bolt next to the citibank account (or reset connection or re-add it). I could be wrong, but the prompt to log in was on the citibank website, and it said there was an improved connection when i clicked the lightning bolt.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited January 18
    Options

Hey everyone, the OAuth API migration has officially begun for Citi!

It looks like the "Citibank" and "Citi Cards" options are now available on the API connection, as well as the "Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi" and "Citi AAdvantage MasterCard" options. My Shell Mastercard isn't set up for the API, so hopefully we see this rolled out for some of the less common Citi options as well. But for now, hopefully this change helps everyone connect to Citi!

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6997452-new-and-improved-way-to-connect-to-your-financial-institution-oauth-api#h_7d5c814133

-Coach Natalie

• KP_9
    KP_9 Member ✭✭
    Options

Great news, thanks for the update! I was finally able to connect Simplifi to Citi with MFA enabled.

• important influx
    Options

I have moved my Citi connection to Oauth API as well and it works great! Some advice for those with a Citi connection that they plan on moving over:

1. Move your Citi connection to Oauth in Quicken Simplifi
    2. Change your Citi password since there is no longer a reason to share it
    3. Enable Citi MFA on your account since it won't impact Oauth API integrations

• agirault
    agirault Member
    edited January 27
    Options

How this issue has only 3 upvoted is beyond me!

@Coach Natalie thank you for your answers. Is there a way to know in the App which account uses OAuth API vs regular login? That would be nice.

In my case, I'm curious about what is used/available with Regions Mortgage. I never needed to MFA with Mint, but I need to every time I open the app with Simplifi. Only logging in once a month would be. A fine workaround also.

I've seen other tickets on this forum cover the following requests as workarounds to the lack of OAuth API usage on some accounts:

1. Set polling frequency

2. Option to set polling to manual only

3. Do no show pop-ups for MFA, only non-blocking banner.

Any chance you could provide insight on whether any of them is being considered, whether planned or actively worked on? Thank you.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The request is closed to voting as it is tagged as In progress. Hence only 3 votes.

Within the app, the dialog box to log in and setup will direct you to the institution's login page and ask you to agree to terms to connect with OAuth. If the institution does not use the API, the login box will have Simplifi's UI and say something like "Simplifi uses Intuit to connect .." and there will be no additional box with direct login to the Institution. I have 3 Oauth API banks and I noticed the difference in login flow.

After connection setup, there is no tag to distinguish a OAuth API bank versus an aggregator connected bank.

The list of banks with OAuth API connections is below.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6997452-new-and-improved-way-to-connect-to-your-financial-institution-oauth-api

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• cncb
    cncb Member ✭✭
    Options

I am no longer prompted to setup the Citibank OAuth connection. Do I have to "reset" the connection? If so, will this duplicate the transactions already in there from before?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can make the account manual first and then reconnect it to the new Citibank connection

Steps to make an account manual https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5321064-how-to-make-an-account-manual#h_8ccbaa06e5

1. Hover over the panel on the left-hand side and select Settings.
    2. Select Accounts.
    3. Locate the Account you'd like to make 'manual' and click the three dots at the end of it.
    4. Select Make manual.
    5. Click Make Manual to confirm.

Steps to connect a manual account to the bank

1. Go through the Add Account flow and connect to the bank by following the steps here.
    2. When the list of accounts is presented from the bank, carefully link the accounts found to your existing Quicken Simplifi accounts by following the steps here.

Following the steps above will ensure that transactions are not duplicated.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @cncb,

The prompt went away because the Citi migration to OAuth has temporarily been paused:

I hope this helps!

-Coach Kristina

• cncb
    cncb Member ✭✭
    Options

Ursula's steps worked for me. Thanks.

• ktp_12
    ktp_12 Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie any word on navy federal oauth API connection?

• Coach Natalie
    Options

The TD Bank OAuth API migration has begun!

-Coach Natalie

• Ben J
    Options

Robinhood? Without OAuth it won't pull Roth or Traditional IRAs or spending accounts.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

The Navy FCU and Robinhood migrations are currently set for March/April. We will also see a couple of smaller banks migrated to an OAuth API, which are Simmons Bank and Alpine Bank of Colorado.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• Mercs
    Mercs Member ✭✭
    Options

I noticed American Express is on the list of OAuth institutions but I don't think it is working. It did not prompt me when I added it a month ago and still does not bring you to the Amex site when adding a new account.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Mercs, only the option listed as "American Express" is on the API connection, and it only works for credit cards at this time, though I believe they are working on migrating checking and savings accounts as well.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• KP_9
    KP_9 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Coach Natalie, when should we expect to see the TD OAuth connection available? My TD has been disconnected since the 9th (when I tried to refresh the connection after seeing your update) and attempts to reconnect still pull up the old Intuit connector, which authenticates fine before failing on the final step with an error, "We are unable to connect to TD Bank Online Banking at this time. Please try again later. Care: QCS-0400-6."

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@KP_9, the TD Bank OAuth migration connection is currently available, though I believe it will be paused due to some issues.

With that, since it's still enabled from what I can tell, I'd suggest trying for a different browser or in incognito/private mode. If you want to do some troubleshooting on the issue, you'll want to take it away from this Idea post and submit a separate post to outline the issue so the Community can take a closer look:

Thank you!

-Coach Natalie

• Mercs
    Mercs Member ✭✭
    Options

When I go to add an account and click on the American Express Credit Card button I do not get redirected to the Amex website, it just asks for credentials.🤷‍♂️

• simplira
    simplira Member ✭✭
    Options

I requested Robinhood OAuth here. Was asked to request in this thread. Robinhood current method only gets the brokerage account whereas if you use OAuth, you get to see both brokerage and IRA accounts (I see both in the Empower Personal Dashboard). Can you please add Robinhood to the list of banks/brokerages to be enabled for OAuth.

Thanks.

• ptted
    ptted Member
    Options

Any update on NFCU?

• esender
    esender Member ✭✭
    Options

I want to add that implementing this with Robinhood could enable their IRA's to be seen by Simplifi. Currently, we cannot see Robinhood IRAs in Simplifi and that is very frustrating.