Importing Historical Balance for a Brokerage Account actually purges all existing history

Options
David Yao
David Yao Member
edited April 12 in Report a Bug

Today I tried out the "Import Historical Balance" feature on the "Import Data" screen and selected a a Brokerage type account where I have a CSV of historical balances from 2021 to 2024/01/21.

After a successful import message, I am disappointed to find that not only was the new data not imported in the balance view of said account, all historical balances up until 2024/01/21 has been purged.

In other words, before the import, the said brokerage account had historical balances since Nov 2023 — when I started using Simplifi. After the import, the account's balance history starts on 2024/01/22. See a redacted screenshot below.

The data is missing not only in the balance view of the brokerage account, but also in the Net Worth report page where balances of said account is now displayed as "-" and counting as $0 for Nov 2023 and Dec 2023 — months where the amount was correct before the import, leading me to think it was not a UI display issue, but rather data corruption.

On the other hand, I also tried importing historical balance for a "Checking" type account and it seems to have worked as intended.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@David Yao, thanks for posting!

To clarify, did you perhaps have empty fields or anything along those lines in the CSV file that may have impacted the months in question? Also, have you tried re-importing the data for those months to correct the issue you're seeing in Quicken Simplifi?

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• David Yao
    David Yao Member
    Options

I have tried re-importing and it did not make a difference: what was missing was still missing.

I am certain I do not have empty fields in the CSV. In fact, I just tried the following test CSV with a single row, and after a screen of successful import, I still don't have the balance for Jan 21, 2024:

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The date needs to have the preceding zero to read 01/21/2024. Also, is the account involved an investment account? If so, the import of balance history does not work for everyone. I could not import balances to an IRA or a personal brokerage account.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• David Yao
    David Yao Member
    Options

I just tried the test CSV with leading zero and it is the same behavior. Indeed the account is a "Brokerage" type, however it is one thing for data import to simply not work, but quite another when data import actively purges existing history — there is actually no other way to recover this lost history.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Brokerage accounts are not working properly. I had to import history using a workaround, which involved creating a manual account for each brokerage account to import balance history.

More details below

Have you tried contacting support via the chat on the web app or mobile app? They may help.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also, I reported a similar bug with investment accounts (no data showing on the Net Worth Report after import). I only have zero balances on dates prior to the initial Simplifi connection for these two investment accounts. I used the workaround above to backfill balance history.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@David Yao, thanks for posting back!

At this point, I'd suggest contacting our Support Team directly for more advanced assistance with this, as they have the ability to engage in a screen-sharing session with you and can walk you through the import process to get a clear picture of what's going on.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

Let us know how it goes in case it helps other users!

-Coach Natalie

• simpli_sabi
    Options

Support team has not been able to fix or provide any meaningful way out of this. Please track this as a bug and provide resolution as quickly as possible as this is just a charting issue with Networth, Balances, and Performance not showing the uploaded data on UIs.
    We have validated that this data shows up correctly if you change the account type to non investment account.

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

just browsing …
    and this seems one of those really bad side effects of a Cloud Based software product.
    Unlike over on the Classic desktop side - where the common support answer is to Restore -
    there is no Restore here on Simplifi, which makes any Quicken bugs and software glitches that much more disastrous when no backup capabilitiy is avail - once the data is corrupted or erased - it is gone -

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@simpli_sabi, thanks for posting on this topic!

Can you give it another try now that version 3.99.1 has been released? This patch release is supposed to fix the historical account balance import issues. 🤞

Let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• Thouarttheman
    Thouarttheman Member
    edited February 14
    Options

It is fixed for me, both the broken charts and the new imports I did today. Note that all of my imports were in Mint format.

• simpli_sabi
    Options

Hi Coach Natalie, the issue is resolved on the web versions for Net Worth and Balances charts. The Performance chart is all over the place.
    Also all these charts are still not working on the iOS app.

May I suggest,

• a little bit more granular reporting on this charts than what Simplifi does
    • the issues are highlighted even more as I imported weekly and daily balances on some of my accounts (which I do like). The monthly reporting is not very insightful.
    • having said that, the chart on Investment->Balances is more interesting and it would be great if Simplifi can do the same segmentation on Net Worth
    • also a net worth graph widget for Dashboard on web and mobile.

Thanks for listening :)

• Coach Natalie
    edited February 15
    Options

@simpli_sabi, I'm glad to hear that things are mostly fixed for you!

I'd suggest creating a separate post if you'd like to troubleshoot the issue with Investments Performance since it is a separate issue.

For your feedback, our support article here has the info on how to best provide that: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3828518-how-can-i-send-product-feedback

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• David Yao
    David Yao Member
    Options

I confirm that the issue has been fixed and the previously imported balance history of the brokerage-type account now correctly shows up. I did not need to re-import anything to trigger the fix.

• johnnyjoesifer
    Options

This same "negative performance" is happening for me as @simpli_sabi . I've tried everything! @Coach Natalie - has there been any progress on this?

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @johnnyjoesifer,

Thanks for reaching out! As @Coach Natalie stated previously, since this is a separate issue you will want to create a new post if you would like to troubleshoot Investment Performance.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

This discussion has been closed.