Splits Redesign: Share your feedback here!

Options
13»

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8
    Options

One small tweak I’d like to see is for the location of the Split button to move slightly.

Here’s my reasoning:

1. With the current design, it’s just a sea of boxes of relatively similar size, shape, and color. It’s very easy to get lost when your scrolling up and down.
    2. You don’t always know that you’re going to split a receipt before you begin entering it so - in my mind - it makes more sense to ‘flow’ after the initial Category and Tag. I generally make that decision on the fly after I’ve already entered the first set of info.
    3. Conceptually, the split occurs after the initial Category and Tag…not before; this is the point when it actually occurs. To me, it’s like writing an addition problem like 2=1+1 instead of like 1+1=2. Yes, it’s accurate and effective, but not standard.
    4. I’d make the button/box a different color than grey (light blue perhaps?) and a different, smaller width than the rest. This would cause it to serve as a visual marker as one’s scrolling up and down quickly.

I could be overthinking this, but I like my reasoning regardless. Still, I am liking the Splits feature more and more each time I use it!!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • AJS9
    AJS9 Member
    Options

Agree with the comments that once I split a transaction, I expect to only see the transaction for the split amount for the spending plan.

• Lane B
    Lane B Member
    edited March 12
    Options

Hi,

I joined Simplifi just over a month ago. When I used the split transaction feature, it worked exactly as I expected it to. Now, I can’t even figure out how to use it. It doesn’t make any sense. I have a transaction, say a deposit, that I want to allocate to more than one category. I used to be able to split the transaction, assign the amounts to each category, see the total transaction amount decrease in real time, and then click save. Now, instead of seeing the total amount decrease, IT INCREASES!!! How does that make any sense?!? I am splitting from an existing amount, so any split should DECREASE the total transaction amount. This is crazy.

EDIT: I just went back and for some reason I have to put a + in front of the amount, even though the transaction type is a credit. Can the amount default to the transaction type (ie, - for debits, + for credits)? Super weird..

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Lane B, thanks for posting!

Yes, this is a known issue that has been escalated. Please see my comment here:

We'll be sure to keep everyone in this thread updated with new information as it becomes available. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• pkBubba
    pkBubba Member
    edited March 12
    Options

[removed] The split works fine for me for categorizing the split item. I use splits for matured TBill deposits as well. Part of the amount is categorized as a sell and part is interest earned. I need to show the interest earned as income, but not the sell portion. To work properly I would need the report/spending flags to available for each split line, otherwise I have to add a manual interest transaction to get separate flags and change the deposit amount.

• mahka42
    mahka42 Member
    Options

I think this is the right spot, as I don't see another thread - I'd like to chime in on asking for splits to be available in recurring bills. My utilities come on a single bill, and they are paid in a single transaction. However, there's no way to break apart my water and trash components in the recurring bill, so I always have to go in after the transaction clears to enter the split. Having this available as part of the series set up would be fantastic.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@mahka42

You’ll want to vote on this Idea Post. I believe it’s what you’re looking for and has lots of votes!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • max4
    max4 Member
    Options

I hope the insistence on being able to alter dates on, for lack of a better term, child transactions (as the original/parent transaction is split up) doesn't dissuade the developers from acting on the other outstanding requests to fix this feature (which at a combined 444 votes should be merged to reflect the urgency and importance here). I use the word fix because transaction splits are simply broken in this state. The Mint JSON file import wizard silently ignores notes written on split transactions. Importing the CSV was a band-aid but doesn't help the ongoing problem of not being able to accurately record transactions. Even if I wanted to settle for, for example, writing one long note including every item I purchased on a big Amazon order and then splitting off the amounts per category, what if one of those items was something for which I'm getting reimbursed? Or I later return for a refund? The inability to at least hide child line items from spending and reporting renders the entire feature useless as-is.

We're at 682 votes if you count the request to be able to split recurring transactions even in the current busted state for simple categorization purposes. I hope with rollover budgeting/planning finally out of the way this is the new top priority.

• mjg7328
    mjg7328 Unconfirmed, Member
    edited March 29
    Options

@Coach Natalie

This is a critical feature for me. I am unable to split my paycheck into personal income and reimbursement because the "left to split" increases rather than reduces to zero. This issue was originally identified in this thread 6 weeks ago. When will this be addressed and resolved?

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@mjg7328, try putting a plus sign in front of the positive amounts to make them positive.🙂

-Coach Natalie

• Teniola
    Teniola Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie , will there be any further updates to splits? There was a lot of feedback on further changes, hoping to see more as that is my main concern moving from Mint.

• meganelizabeth
    Options

Adding support/desire for different dates on splits as well! A few use cases I've done this previously with Mint:

• Streaming service annual subscription: the cost of the full year is paid at once, so I'll divide it out over the course of several months so that 1) my entertainment budget isn't blown at once, and 2) I can adjust my spending the following months to keep that month's already-paid chunk in mind
    • Surprise laptop replacement cost: when a previous laptop unexpectedly died, I needed to replace it immediately. I split this cost over the span of a year on my shopping category, as if I were "making payments on it" without actually leaving the debt on an interest-accruing credit card
    • BFCM Holiday Season: I use holiday sales to stock up on home/personal care essentials I use throughout the year, and stagger out those purchase dates since I'm effectively buying in advance for later use
    • Festival tickets purchased in advance: since this is larger than a single concert, I might split a $150 festival ticket into $50 over three months—again thinking like "credit card payments" or installment payments, without incurring debt/interest