Savings Goals - Rethink approach, include forecasting/scenarios, auto adjustments, and better UI/UX

Options
GigaFusion
GigaFusion Member
edited December 2023 in Feature Requests

I have a solid spreadsheet that I created with custom formulas that forecasts how much money I'll have 1-10 years from now. It also has a scenario calculation "if this happens, then this would shift it this way." This gives me a full view of "based on this budget (as it will change over the years like if I have a kid, buy a house, etc.) it isn't a constant. Only thing missing from it is a savings tracker that helps keep the savings contributions on track + shows monthly contributions needed to achieve + auto adjust target date if anything changes. However, due to the "inconsistency" my saving is split into a few different ways, like "NEEDED," "WOULD BE NICE," and "EVENTUALLY." I wish there was some calculation method to make this happen that funnels into the overall picture...thus, knowing where every dollar is but easily "changing" the narrative/timeline/calculations and your life changes without the hurdle of having to figure out your entire budget all over again.

Because I'll soon be shifting to a household view soon and wanting automatic transactions/tracking, the Excel isn't going to cut it/be user friendly for those I share it with. I also want my household to have the view/alerts to know what the budget is and where we are at.

I've tested so many - probably ALL of the current budgeting apps out there. Overall, Simplifi and Monarch are the top 2 in my eyes...but it mind boggles me the cost vs. lack of features you'd think would be included. They are far ahead from others, but still missing key things that could really set them both further ahead from everyone else, as ones like YNAB and EveryBudget (which, I actually do like) would be great, too, if there was a way to mirror how both Simplifi and Monarch allow you to have the "vault" view like in SoFi and Ally, where you "organize" from the savings and then it shows how much you have left that isn't used toward anything. Monarch goal's also doesn't let you easily change the target dates, which is why I am not continuing with them right now (however, their CEO says on their Reddit that major changes are coming in 2024 with this.)

WHAT I NEED FROM SIMPLIFI:

What I am finding with the Savings Goals with Simplifi is it glitches sometimes when I am contributing to the goals via the goals page. I'll be updating contribution for one, and it saves, but then it keeps the amount showing there of what's available to contribute and I have to refresh the page after each change I do. Additionally, I wish I could see an OVERALL view of the goals I want to achieve/reach (like I mentioned in paragraph one), possibly even tagging them by what type of savings priority I am doing, so then I can know WHAT it will take me to get me there and WHEN (target dates, contribution amounts, etc.) And this also goes along if anything changes along the way, my savings/goals plan will then adjust itself / suggest what to do next.

It is not user-friendly, unless I am just not seeing it, where if something changes I can easily adjust the goals. I am getting a headache trying to make this work...and if Simplifi can fix this or make it clearer...they will truly stand a part in my eyes and think will "solve" the core problem I've shared. Savings change - we should save - but life happens, income changes, etc. If savings goals for any budget app can realize this and allow the easy view of "Income - Expenses - Savings" with a timeline view/forecast that shows these items...it will be a game changer for me. Monarch does have a new AI assistant by GPT, which is pretty awesome and somewhat steps into this view conversationally...but it is still in beta and you have to know exactly what to say in order to spit out the right result.

[added screenshot for clarity]

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have major problems with Savings Goals in Simplifi, but to the extent that I understand what you are saying, that doesn't seem to be one of them. It would be helpful to me on whether I should upvote or downvote this if you stated your suggestion in 5 sentences rather than 5 paragraphs. I'm just not sure what it is that your asking for in a user interface alteration.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have the same question as @ajbopp - what is the specific change. Note that there is one change per feature request.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• GigaFusion
    GigaFusion Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I understand I word vomited a lot. I was more typing in the moment to explain the why…and re-reading understanding how some things weren't as clear. The idea is to "Enhance the Savings goals page by bringing goals TOGETHER into a summary view that breaks them out of a "siloed" approach and allows better integration/cross-communication via the spending plan."

Examples are included below in the rough visual I drafted to accomplish this, which includes an overall summary view at the top, pulling in remaining income/extra income outside what's allotted in spending plan and goals for an "every dollar has a purpose" approach, and including filters, priorities, etc.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Minter 2014-2023

• Matt Anfang
    Matt Anfang Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mint had better/easier goals. It did not allow you to use the same account though on multiple goals. But yes I agree that the goals here on Simplifi make no sense to me at all

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited December 2023
    Options

@GigaFusion, thanks for posting your suggestions to the Community!

After reading through everything here, I think you'd be better off creating individual Idea posts for the individual aspects of your request. For example, you can create an Idea post for the ability to assign "level of need" labels to each Savings Goal and allow sorting/filtering by them.

For the ability to sort or rearrange Savings Goals in general, we have an existing request here:

You can also create a request for a Projection/Forecasting/What If feature to be added to Savings Goals and outline how that would look to you. Separating your ideas into individual requests will allow users the opportunity to vote on that particular enhancement as opposed to a larger-scale change made to the entire feature, and may help you rally some votes. Totally up to you, though!

We also have an existing request here for a Forecasting/What If feature for the Spending Plan:

-Coach Natalie

• GigaFusion
    Options

@Coach Natalie I see these feedback ideas come from 2020 and 2022 with what appears to be no traction on the product development side. A little concerning…which makes me want to keep the reasoning here, too, and why I shared a more detailed context here. I think having "separate" feature idea posts can limit the scope of the ask when talking about an overall vision. Yes, individual feature requests make sense…but really, a "problem" is trying to be solved via a solution…relating to the overall "vision" of the product that impacts multiple feature requests.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is no category in this forum for "vision request" and I'm not sure it would be helpful if there was one. We all have our own preferred visions. The dev team cannot implement every vision that every user wants to see. But they can implement features within the context of the product vision that is attempting to be created.

Anthony Bopp

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with @ajbopp - I cannot really vote for this request as there is no specific feature enhancement. Your idea sounds a lot like having a savings goal report like the existing idea below but with filters based in priority (an additional field).

Minter 2014-2023

• GigaFusion
    Options

I have to say - I understand where you are coming from but my goodness you all can be kinder if this is supposed to be a “community.” I am fully aware that devs can’t implement every request - I simply was sharing my idea as a whole for the product team to see on how goals could potentially be improved. There seems to be a disconnect within the user journey with spending plan, saving for goals, and if things changes (because life does as isn’t always part of the plan you think it is).

I have been trying to figure this all out following basic financial planning approaches. Overall, just sharing to them for viz.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@GigaFusion My apologies. I did not intend to communicate any emotion or attitude in my replies, and I'm sorry that I didn't phrase myself better.

Anthony Bopp

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with @ajbopp, @GigaFusion - This is valuable feedback, especially this part "There seems to be a disconnect within the user journey with spending plan, saving for goals, and if things changes (because life does as isn’t always part of the plan you think it is).".

My apologies too.

Minter 2014-2023