Splits Redesign: Share your feedback here!

Options
Coach Natalie
Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
edited February 22 in Feedback

We have redesigned how splitting transactions work in Quicken Simplifi, and we'd love to hear from you! For more details on these changes that are currently available in Early Access, please see our announcement here:

Then share your feedback by leaving a comment below!

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Gideon
    Gideon Member
    Options

I'm disappointed this update seemingly still does not include the ability to split transactions over multiple months as described here:

People have been requesting this feature for years, I assumed it would be addressed in the split redesign. This was very easy in Mint, but seemingly impossible on Simplifi.

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for working on these upgrades! In addition to the above, I'd really like to be able to put notes on each part of the split transaction.

• quicksmash
    quicksmash Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

Seems good so far, thanks for the updates.

Would we be able to add a date picker for the transaction? For example paying a bill in advance or something where a large transaction can be split and assigned to two different months. More control to maintain report & trend accuracy.

Thank you for listening!

• MSF
    MSF Member
    Options

It would be really helpful if you could change the dates for the separate splits. Right now, they can only be split up within the same month, and more often than not, I need to split transactions up over several months. It's pretty frustrating because it really skews my budget without that feature.

• Coach Marcus
    Coach Marcus Moderator admin
    Options

Digital Nomad Wrote: "Now, when I select 'Split,' a new dialogue appears, displaying two blank Category rows. The new UI effectively removes any existing category that was on the Transaction Detail window, wasting multiple clicks as I am forced to find it again in the first category field."

Digital Nomad, thanks for reporting this issue. It's a bug and we'll roll out a fix shortly.

• Coach Marcus
    Options

Digital Nomad Wrote: "Additionally, the amount 'Left To Split' was previously automatically filled into the bottom empty category. Now, I need to make another selection to have it filled, and the 'Add Left to Split' doesn't even add the balance to the existing bottom category; it just makes a new one. This causes me to delete the last category I just added, before then renaming the one created by the button action."

The way this feature is supposed to work is when you click the Add Left To Split button, the Left to Split Amount is added to a row without an amount whether it's the first or second row. If the amount field is filled in all rows, then it will create a new row with the Split Amount. There might be bugs in this area so possibly Digital Nomad ran into one of these situations. In any case, I think, if working properly, this will work like most people expect.

• Coach Marcus
    Options

UrsulaA Wrote: "I also support showing the split category names in the Transactions view instead of just showing "—-Split—-", similar to how multiple Tags are currently displayed with a comma separation."

This is an interesting idea. The width of the field might limit how many categories are visible. How about a Tool Tip that would appear if you hover the mouse over the — Splits — text that would tell you what's in the split? In our Quicken Classic products, we expand the area below the transaction to display the split details. Any other ideas?

• Coach Marcus
    edited February 14
    Options

Gideon wrote: "I'm disappointed this update seemingly still does not include the ability to split transactions over multiple months as described here"

Gideon, tell me more about how this would work for splits or what you're envisioning. Theoretically, a split represents a single transaction like a purchase at Amazon that you simply want to break up into individual components because the purchased items have different categories. As far as we think of it, it's not designed to represent a recurring transaction or bill. I think what you're really asking for is the ability to define an annual bill like possibly property tax or some subscription service and to break it up into a monthly occurrence in the Spending Plan so you can break this up and "save" a little each month. We're well aware of this feature request from customers and are looking into it. In any case, if you are speaking about splits, can you tell me more about how you think this should work?

P.S. I also just commented on quicksmash comment which was similar to yours, so please also read my reply there.

• Coach Marcus
    Options

EL1234 wrote: "Thanks for working on these upgrades! In addition to the above, I'd really like to be able to put notes on each part of the split transaction."

EL1234, I'm with you. I regularly put notes on my split items in Quicken. I'll look into this and see what we can do.

• Coach Marcus
    edited February 14
    Options

quicksmash wrote: "Would we be able to add a date picker for the transaction? For example, paying a bill in advance or something where a large transaction can be split and assigned to two different months. More control to maintain report & trend accuracy."

MSF wrote: "It would be really helpful if you could change the dates for the separate splits. Right now, they can only be split up within the same month, and more often than not, I need to split transactions up over several months. It's pretty frustrating because it really skews my budget without that feature."

quicksmash and MSF, currently as we think about splits, we think of them as occurring on a single transaction that happens on a single date. Transactions that occur on different dates would be 2 different transactions with 2 different split lines. Conceptually, we will never add multiple dates to a split line because it doesn't fit our concept of what a split is.

With that said, that's not to say that what you're asking for isn't something we wouldn't support, but it just might be handled differently in our product. Tell me if I'm wrong, but what I believe you're asking for is similar to Gideon which is you'd like to split up a single annual or semi-annual bill into multiple transactions to potentially "save", "budget", and "track" that money to pay for that large bill such as property tax or something like that at the designated time. A lot depends on how you handle this. I, personally, transfer money from my checking account into a savings account to save for my property tax monthly so I have an actual transaction that I can use and track. I believe we're investigating how you might be able to do this virtually in the Spending Plan. If this is the use case you are asking for, I think you'll be happy later this year when we add additional support for this scenario but it's not something we'll support in the Transaction Split feature which, conceptually, is a different thing.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14
    Options

The tool tip will work for me or the expansion of the area below the transaction like Quicken Classic. If I can have a tool tip and the option to expand the area below the transaction, I will be happy.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Minter 2014-2023

• Mark23
    Mark23 Member ✭✭
    Options

Notes section for each split please.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also, will future split configurations allow the user to hide part of the split, as requested below?

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another pain point I see is the current inability to have memorized split transactions. Will this ability come at some point?

Minter 2014-2023

• Teniola
    Teniola Member
    edited February 16
    Options

Can the split amounts be displayed instead of the total amount in reports? For example, my rent payment is split 3 ways between rent, parking and water. In reports, I see the total amount of the split under home instead of just the amount for my rent. Will this be addressed in the split redesign?

I like that the splits now say the category names instead of “splits.” For reports, can the suggestion of the tool tip be used to show what’s being included in that category instead of the entire amount?

I second Ursula’s suggestion of using the tool tip in the transactions view as well. Ideally it would be a drop down instead of a hover with a mouse to be useful on mobile in addition to web versions.

Also, in support of notes and ability to hide part of transaction from spending plan and reports for each split instead of having features at the overall transaction level.

• dsfreddy
    dsfreddy Member ✭✭
    Options

Still not treating split transactions as split transactions. No fix to the CSV export defect on splits. Bummer!

• KatiKat
    Options

I forget how the split update was described when the app was first updated but I thought it said something about being treated more like individual transactions? Are we still unable to put a split of a transaction as a bill? If we can, I haven’t been able to figure it out.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@KatiKat

Regarding "I thought it said something about being treated more like individual transactions?" - The split update did not entail this. Instead, it provides easier ways to split a transaction evenly and a separate dialog to enter splits.

Open feature request:

"Are we still unable to put a split of a transaction as a bill?" - This feature has not been added.

Open feature request:

These are my perceptions as a user.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Marcus - will the splits re-design eventually include the ability to add a separate Payee per split? Some users send one bundled payment that includes funds for their home escrow, insurance, and other items to a given bank.

Minter 2014-2023

• Oleksander
    Oleksander Member ✭✭
    Options

In addition to the open feature requests and other great points from @UrsulaA, I also request the ability to change the date of the splits. For a concrete use case, I have weekly physical therapy and owe a copay at the time of the appointment. In reality I'll be charged once every ~2-6 weeks for all sessions since I last paid. It's important for budgeting that I can backdate these splits, otherwise it throws off my spending plan.

In Mint I also used this feature heavily when splitting rent/utilities with roommates.

This feature is implied in the "treat splits as separate transactions" request, but I'm not sure if it's explicitly stated.

• FinTechMan
    FinTechMan Member ✭✭
    edited February 22
    Options

The new Split Transaction screen was kind of a disappointment. I can already assign a single category to a transaction from the main transaction list in a single click. In general 99% of the reason i click on a row and edit a transaction is to split transactions. Now I have to drill 2 levels deep through 3 clicks to edit the split. Also the new split screen does not automatically push the total left to the bottom split, I have to type it.

Just So Many Clicks.

1. Find transaction in list
    2. click ellipsis at end of the row
    3. click edit transaction
    4. Click Split Transaction button → new window opens
    5. edit splits
    6. on the last split instead of it auto populating I have to type it in
    7. click save splits

Recommendations to decrease clicks

• On step 2 & 3 above - Put a split button next to the category drop down on the main transaction row OR add a pencil edit icon on the row vs putting the edit option buried in the ellipsis menu
    • On step 4 bring splits back to the main screen
    • bring back auto filling the last split with left over

side note: one reason I could see why a split screen may have been introduced is when you edit splits and then click outside the edit modal the edit modal would close and you would lose unsaved splits. Maybe just detect that and ask if user wants to save unsaved changes

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Oleksander - please see above from Coach Marcus regarding changing the dates in splits. He writes about a potential way Quicken Simplifi will handle changing dates on a split.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

The Splits Redesign is live for everyone!

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Regarding using tab to move along the new split interface, I find that using a Windows 10 PC with Microsoft Edge Version 121.0.2277.128 (Official build) (64-bit) allows me to tab along most fields except out of the tags field, where I need to use the mouse. I agree with @SRC54 - a complete tab function to go through the new split interface will be great.

I also agree with the related calculator request.

Minter 2014-2023

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@UrsulaA I suspect what you're seeing is related to this issue raised awhile back.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye