Rollover unused Spending Plan money [edited] (10 Merged Votes)

jhirasaki
jhirasaki Member
edited May 2022 in Feature Requests

Add Budget/Spending Plan "Start each new month with the previous month's leftover amount" option.

308 votes

In Progress · Last Updated

Our product team is working hard to add rollover abilities to the Spending Plan!

Comments

• Laura
    Laura Member ✭✭

Agree with this!

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @jvipatapat,

Great feature request! Don't forget to add your vote! :smile:

-Coach Natalie

• David Lyons
    David Lyons Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
    I agree with this!
  • gildrush
    gildrush Member ✭✭

What I would like to see is the leftover balances in each account rolled into the new months balances

• achester99
    achester99 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I want something like this feature. We get paid bi-weekly, and often times some of the income from end of month is being used to pay bills at the beginning of the next month. Also we sometimes can see in the upcoming section a big bill that would put our cashflow into a negative, but we had avoided spending all available funds this month to make sure we have enough for that upcoming bill next month. Or at least make available an option to create a current cash on hand line item in the spending plan where we could plug in a number manually that reflects what money we have available outside of the current month's income/spending.
  • brianhudson
    brianhudson Member
    edited March 2021
    I usually go under/over my planned spending for several categories of my spending plan. There is currently no option to 'roll over' these deficits/surpluses. I suggest Simplifi adds a feature that allows the spending plan to add/subtract these balances to the next month's spending plan.

That is, if I have $50 in a 'funny money' category, but only spend $40, then the next month would include the $10 I didn't use and therefore start at $60. I currently have to do mental math going back several months to keep track of this stuff. And, if I go over just $40 a month in my groceries for example, that really adds up over the year but I don't see that by just looking at the planned spending part of the app. Providing an option that would let it roll over each month would make me sensitive to this.
  • I would also love this feature.  I base my monthly budget based on a yearly average.  So the budgets build up and then I know how much I have to spend each month based on the budget and last month...or 4.  I rollover my dining out budget.  Knowing weather steak or pizza is min my future keeps my wife happy!  :smile: If you add this feature, I keep the app. without I have to look elsewhere.  
  • Nomadic Cat
    Nomadic Cat Member
    Vote 🗳 for many reasons already expressed 
  • Yes. I want this. 
  • nicko
    nicko Member ✭✭✭
    This request has been hanging out since 2019 any movement?
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @nicko,

Thanks for the inquiry!

Our Product Team is still tossing this Idea around, and I don't think that they're leaning in any direction, as of yet. Be sure to keep following this post for updates! :wink:

-Coach Natalie
  • Chris
    Chris Member ✭✭
    I think it's a necessary feature. If I end the month of May with $250 available in my Spending Plan, that should be factored into the available balance in my Spending Plan for June. That's like having $250 in cash and at the end of the month saying, "I won't need this for next month. This is May's money. So it shouldn't be used in June." I'm sure most people don't operate like that.

As a former Simple customer, I became accustom to rollover available spending balances. It gave me a better picture of my Safe-to-Spend and if I ended up with quite a bit more than I needed, I just transferred that to my savings account. That's not something I did often though...just when I had excess spending money.
  • chrismoneytime
    chrismoneytime Member ✭✭
    Searching for alternate budget apps to Mint. This is one of the top features for my family. Any updates when this will be implemented?
  • Coach Blake
    Coach Blake Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hi @chrismoneytime,

We are so glad to hear that you are considering Simplifi! When you are ready to give us a shot, make sure you sign up for our free 30-day trial! At this time, I don't have a time frame on when this will be implemented but you can keep an eye on our "Updates from our product team" section to see what great features are in our newest release.

-Coach Blake
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Greetings,

Agree with @jhirasaki and all the others. This is critical! I - personally - want to control my spending over the long-term so I can know if I'm ahead or behind as the year goes on. While I'm brand new to Simplifi, I'm a long-term user of Quicken Desktop since 2014; which does this pretty well.

I want / NEED Simplifi to somehow roll over the amount whether OVER or UNDER at the end of each month! For example, right now my "Eating Out" budget is $10 over and I want to know going into next month that I have to decrease my spending by $10.

This is one of my 2 or 3 most critical requirements for a budgeting software and is causing me to think carefully whether this software will really work for me.

Is there any update about the status of this feature request? Is it being considered? Is it being worked on? Is there any sort of estimate; even it is super rough?

Thank you.
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thank you for posting your feedback to the Community!

As far as I know, this one is still being considered by our Product Team. I will be sure to post back as soon as I receive an update! :blush:

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    edited June 2021
    Hello All,

Thank you for your continued patience as we consider this request!

I just wanted to let everyone know that this is definitely still being considered by our Product Team. It sounds like it will require a complete overhaul of the Spending Plan in order to implement, so it may be a while before we get any real traction, but it is being looked at. :smiley:

-Coach Natalie