Ability to mark Recurring Reminders as "Scheduled"/"Paid" [edited] (19 Merged Votes)

1235»

Comments

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭

With a check that hasn't been deposited, you can create the transaction and leave the status as Pending and link it to the recurring bill. Then when the check is deposited simplifi will (hopefully) merge the two transactions (but I tend to keep an eye on unreviewed transactions in case they need to be merged manually).

It's quite a bunch of steps, though.

• kents
    kents Member ✭✭

Thank you EL. As you said, it is many steps and having to check that Simplify is doing the correct thing for these transactions.

• BobS54
    BobS54 Member

Sorry for the questions, just joined the app space. @EL1234 , have you experimented with linking the transaction for the recurring bill vs. Entering the transaction and deleting the reminder for that month's payment? Pros/Cons?

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭

I usually link it, especially for a recurring bill I pay via check and (usually) enter the pending check as a transaction so that my cash flow projection accounts for it. If the transactions don't merge when the check is deposited then I can select them both and click the Merge button.

Deleting the reminder and having the transaction download isn't ideal because then it won't show up in the Bills section of my spending plan, instead it'll be in Other Spending or Spending Plan. I like that one under bills (and definitely don't want the same bill to sometimes show in one place and sometimes in another place).

• I agree a MUST have option. Just came over from Quicken and spent three days setting everything up properly. Now I find this major issue that has been going on for 4 years now. How are others keeping track of the bills scheduled and which are not. Seems like a core requirement to efficiently and effectively track upcoming bills.

• @ https://community.simplifimoney.com/profile/EL1234 that seems like a great idea although it takes time to complete and the whole point of this is to be efficient and save users time not expand the time.

• Definitely a must have.

• dagnabit2000
    dagnabit2000 Member ✭✭✭

Simplifi Coaches, I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to inquire about the status of the feature request we discussed previously. The last update we received was in September 2022, indicating that your team is reviewing options for implementation.

Could you please provide us with a current update on this matter? Specifically, we would appreciate insights into any challenges or nuances that may be delaying the implementation of this feature. While it appears straightforward and does not impact transactions or account balances, we understand there may be factors or considerations that we are not aware of.

Your prompt response would be greatly appreciated as we continue to plan our operational strategies.

Thank you for your attention to this request.

Best regards

• dagnabit2000
    dagnabit2000 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 22

I have a payment due to Mazda Financial Services on July 2nd. I believe I scheduled a payment, but I am uncertain. I visited their website and could not find a way to verify if the payment was scheduled.

As a Simplifi user for managing my finances, I would appreciate guidance from a Simplifi representative on how their software can assist me with this issue. I should not need to contact MFS to confirm if I scheduled the payment. I should be able to determine this using the Financial Management Software for which I have been paying (including Quicken) for over 25 years. This is particularly important considering that the software (Quicken) had this functionality for the first 20+ years.

Simplifi Representatives, could you please assist me in finding a way to use your software to verify whether a payment has been scheduled or not? Thank you. (Edited: Corrected Grammar)

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

While I believe this would be a useful feature I have a couple of questions which may already be answered in the preceding conversation and I admit I didn’t read every comment for the past 4 years. Anyway…

• Auto pay has become pert near universal even to the point that many billers even offer some form of benefit if you go with auto pay. I have all my recurring bills and subscriptions set up on auto pay. The three exceptions are my gardener, my housekeeper and pool service person. This answers the earlier reasons for the feature - a way to know that payments are scheduled and set to be paid.
    • If you schedule a payment, you would need to take steps in QS to indicate this with this feature. Why not enter a pending transaction in the appropriate bank account register and match it with the recurring Spending Plan reminder? Wouldn’t that change the reminder from upcoming to paid status?

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Stranger0715
    Stranger0715 Member
    edited June 22

@DannyB. my situation I only leave enough money in my checking to cover bills. Everything else is invested to earn interest. My paychecks are split between accounts to complete monthly bills.

I am paid on an every other week cycle. This means that I am not paid the exact same day each month. Auto pay is not doable for all bills since I may not get paid till the day after the auto pay date.

In addition not all billers allow you to update the autopay amount. In these cases I still need to visit the biller website and manually make an additional payment, So I simply do not use auto pay for bills that vary month to month. In addition my small town water and electric company charge a fee for paying on their website. So these are sent via billpay.

For the most part I make most of my payments through each website. It is difficult to keep up with without being able to mark bills as scheduled.

On your second note, Quicken Simplifi states how quickly it is to manage your finances. If I need to create pending transactions and remove the reminder for about 40 different billers a month, it is taking me double the time to complete. Simply clicking a checkbox or adding a tag to the reminder would take seconds. Adding and removing of transactions to side step the software is cumbersome and a much longer process.

The simple checkbox or ability to tag a reminder would make the 15 minute process of going to payer making payment and creating new transaction then delete reminder down to about 5 to 7 minutes. Cutting the time for recording scheduled transactions in half. In my situation this would lower my time for paying bills down from 600 minutes a month to 280 minutes. This is a savings of over 5 hours of my time per month.

This simple change to expose the tags field in the reminder so I can add a tag stating it has been scheduled would take QS about 1/2 hour to code, QA testing of 2 hours for a total of 3 to 4 hours. For multiple users to save hours of time each month.

• Frustrated406
    Frustrated406 Member

I’ve been using a manually updated spreadsheet for all my bills as I don’t think they’ll ever address the issues in this thread.

The only thing I use Simplifi for at this point is a general ledger where I can review all of my transactions from all accounts in one place.

• tamala73
    tamala73 Member

I also have to use another app to help me with Bill Management… would love to have one place to manage my bills and finances. Simplify has some features that help but having this feature would move me one step closer to not having to use Chronicle any more.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stranger0715

Like I said, this could be a useful feature to have added to QS.

If you will allow it, can I make a couple of observations for conversational purposes only?

First, I keep a buffer balance in my cash account equal to about 45 days of living expenses, i.e. the money going out to my June billers and my planned spending has been in my checking account since at least mid-April. In this way whatever day of the month my paycheck arrives in my checking account is irrelevant.

Second, unless your savings account(s) have extremely high interest rates (I'm currently receiving 4.25% - 4.80% in my HYS accounts) it seems that keeping a 30–45-day buffer in the amount of your monthly recurring bills and living expenses in your checking account would be highly cost-effective for you allowing you to take advantage of autopay and would probably even justify paying the service fee for your local water and electric utility, but I can understand not want to pay a service fee for the convenience.

For me, the interest I "loose" on $5 or $6K would be more than worth the amount of time you are spending in your currently process even if a "Payment scheduled" check box is added and you are still spending 280 minutes paying bills. I'm trying to remember how much time I spent paying bills back in the "good ol' days of writing checks every month and sending them via USPS, but I don't think I spent more than a couple of hours a month doing so. I currently have 50 separate bills, subscriptions, and tracked transfers per month. Almost all of them are on autopay/transfer. I am notified via email for every one of these payments and transfers. I receive email notification for my variable bills before payment is due telling me the amount of the current bill and I receive notification when the payment is triggered by the biller at my bank. I do have a couple of bills I have to take action to pay, but this never takes more than a few minutes via Zelle or the biller's bill pay website.

I will typically log into Simplifi in the morning and do a quick review to see what's up, but even that isn't really necessary.

In addition not all billers allow you to update the autopay amount.

This is something I've never experienced. In all my instances, autopay bills me for current amount due and if the is different from last month, the amount due and pulled from my checking account or charged to my credit card is the current amount due. I'm curious which autopay accounts don't automatically update the amount due.

Again, I'm for any feature that makes QS a more powerful tool for all users, as long as it doesn't undermine the original elegance of the app. Also, I'm not suggesting in any way that what I do and what you do are better or worse, I just like hearing about how others do this stuff and learning different approaches.

Danny
  • idlehand
    idlehand Member

The biggest issue for me, I have said this in my original post is making sure I scheduled the payment and the amount of the bill is updated correctly. Not everything can be autopay. I also heavily rely on future forecasting of my cash flow as our income is not the same month to month

I treat my finances similarly to @Stranger0715 where my checking account has enough to cover my bills and that is it. Leaving money on the table is not conducive in my financial strategy.

I am just shocked that this isn’t a more requested feature and seems like a quick and easy feature to add software wise.

they just added a spot for Check # in the latest update so it can be done.

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ticking a box each month is a lot less work than entering a dummy transaction.

Ticking a box just once when setting up a bill that is on autopay is a lot less work than that.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wedo778

Agreed.

I happily gave up the good ol' manual checkbook with all the required stuff that went with it easily over the years as this stuff became more and more digital and online and I have no desire to go back to manually entering transactions.

Danny