Investment Transaction Duplications (edited)

neon45
neon45 Member ✭✭
edited September 23 in Investments

And, to add insult to injury … I'm discovering, that, while changing the hundreds of Income entries to Payments, Simplifi is not always deleting the changed Action. Now I need to make sure all the entries are not duplicates.😒

I'm using the "Transaction Detail" window that pops up as well.

Comments

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin

Hello @neon45,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. Is this happening in the web app, the mobile app, or both? Have any transactions been duplicated after you edited the Action? If so, did it happen with every investment transaction you edited, or just some? Does this happen only when using the Transaction Detail window, or do you also see this when changing the Action by clicking on it and changing it directly from the Transaction Activity screen?

I look forward to your response!

-Coach Kristina

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22

I had the same issue when I switch an Income Dividend or an Income Interest action to Payment/Deposit with an income category. The brokerage firm, Schwab in my case, re-downloads the dividends and interest again as new transactions. Simplifi does not realize that the Payment/Deposit>income category transactions are the same as the Income Dividend and Income Interest transactions that are re-downloaded. Hence, duplicates ensue.

This has happened to me with every Income Dividend and Income Interest transaction I switched to Payment/Deposit. I just delete the duplicates when I see them and tag the changed transactions as reviewed. The new duplicates come in without a reviewed flag, so I know how to delete them.

Due to this, I stopped changing the dividends and interest to payment/deposit effective today. I am not tracking investment income in Simplifi reports any more as I do not use such income for spending plan.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭
    edited September 23

No way that I can do this…. It would take days and Simplifi would end up telling me to vote on it. Generalities will have to do.

"Have any transactions been duplicated after you edited the Action? If so, did it happen with every investment transaction you edited, or just some? "

I'm doing a 100 of these changes. There is no way I can track them.

I am attaching a screen shot of two transaction that ended up being duplicated, somehow. I'm not sure this ended up. I'm constantly on the look-out for these kind of errors. Which we should not have.

But, I can tell you I only use Simplifi on my desktop. It does not happen on every transaction. I only use the Transaction Detail window as mentioned. When changing the Action I also change the Payee and Description. With so many transactions to modify there is no way I can keep track of what you are requesting. It is already tedious enough to change each and every transaction.

This mess could be easily rectified if the powers-at-be would let us do Reports or Filter on ACTION. Right now it's impossible to do a simple filter to search for interest and, or, dividends for tax work.

Please note that UrsulaA expeienced the same thing. Both with Schwab. Please see my comments in previous messages about Simplifi programmers should talk to Schwab programmers. This all worked flawlessly with Mint.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I echo the sentiment above. I came from Mint and my investment transactions could be included in reports and not get duplicated if I modified them.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @neon45,

If you're just using the investment account for transactions as opposed to tracking the holdings in the Investments Portfolio, you might consider changing the account type to a checking account or something along those lines to see if the transactions download in a more suitable format for you. https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3453445-how-to-edit-your-bank-account-names-and-types#h_124f3a9397

Otherwise, for this issue where transactions are coming in duplicated, can you let us know if they are maybe being edited while in a pending state? If so, they could be downloading with a new transaction/duplicate once cleared.

Additionally, we do have a great thread where you can post any feedback you have for Investment Transactions in general here:

Thanks, and let us know!

-Coach Jon

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I am having the same duplication issue as @neon45 with income interest and income dividend transactions being downloaded again/duplicated after the action/type is switched to payment deposit. Given that the accounts that generate the dividends are investment accounts with ETFs that fluctuate in value, changing the account type is a non-starter as I will not get accurate holdings and balances for net worth.

The income interest and income dividend transactions are not ever in a pending stage when modified.

Minter 2014-2023

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24

@UrsulaA This has happened to me every month since they came out with Investment transaction downloads. Normally I change them from payment to interest or reinvest interest. I change them and then for a few days or a week, they redownload. I just delete the duplicates and report it to Support. There is no Merging of transactions in Investments (that I have found) not that Merging is reliable in regular accounts. Some times it is an option; sometimes not.

Again for me I have rather simple investments and changing them and deleting duplicates is not a big deal, but I can imagine it is for some.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (MacOS) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Your experience tracks with mine. Thanks for sharing.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24

This duplication issue has been reported before with no resolution in the threads below. Will Simplifi help its users with this? @Coach Jon @Coach Natalie

Duplicate transactions in investment accounts — Simplifi (simplifimoney.com) - There is a mention for a fix in progress back last year

Duplicate and Triplicate Investment Transactions — Simplifi (simplifimoney.com) - posted in February 2024

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Our product team would like a ticket filed for this issue. To better assist us going forward, may we please have you guys provide the information below? It may be sent via DM if preferable:

1. The name of the account the transactions are duplicated in, as it appears in Quicken Simplifi.
    2. The Date, Payee, and Amount (or Date, Security, and Amount if it's an investing action transaction) of a few example transactions that are currently duplicated in Quicken Simplifi.
    3. A screenshot of the example transactions from the bank's website.
    4. A screenshot of the corresponding register in Quicken Simplifi showing that the transactions are duplicated.
    5. Confirm whether the duplicate transactions are impacting the balance in Quicken Simplifi or not.
    6. A screenshot of the Accounts Summary page from the bank's website that lists all accounts and balances (feel free to redact any personal info) and has a wide enough scope to show the page URL (this must be taken from a web browser and not a mobile browser).

Additionally, may we also have the web browser, OS, and their versions, as well as the Quicken Simplifi version and build that you are using?

Finally, we will also need logs to be sent to us. Instructions to do this can be found below:

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback.
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

Thanks, and let us know!

-Coach Jon

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

1. The name of the account the transactions are duplicated in, as it appears in Quicken Simplifi.
    2. The Date, Payee, and Amount (or Date, Security, and Amount if it's an investing action transaction) of a few example transactions that are currently duplicated in Quicken Simplifi.
    3. A screenshot of the example transactions from the bank's website.
    4. A screenshot of the corresponding register in Quicken Simplifi showing that the transactions are duplicated.
    5. Confirm whether the duplicate transactions are impacting the balance in Quicken Simplifi or not.
    6. A screenshot of the Accounts Summary page from the bank's website that lists all accounts and balances (feel free to redact any personal info) and has a wide enough scope to show the page URL (this must be taken from a web browser and not a mobile browser).

Additionally, may we also have the web browser, OS, and their versions, as well as the Quicken Simplifi version and build that you are using?

I deleted the duplicates, if I have them I send them through. relevant for 2 to 5. I will send 1 and 6 via dm.

Using Microsoft Edge Version 129.0.2792.52 (Official build) (64-bit) and Windows 10 Pro. Simplifi version 4.26.0 (27716/aeb5dd08a7).

Feedback sent

Minter 2014-2023

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭

Thanks Coach Jon…

"If you're just using the investment account for transactions as opposed to tracking the holdings in the Investments Portfolio, you might consider changing the account type to a checking account or something along those lines to see if the transactions download in a more suitable format for you. https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3453445-how-to-edit-your-bank-account-names-and-types#h_124f3a9397

Thanks for your reply. Please see my June post. These have all been mentioned back on my "Investing ACTION column and TYPEs JUNE 11, 2024" post.

"Otherwise, for this issue where transactions are coming in duplicated, can you let us know if they are maybe being edited while in a pending state? If so, they could be downloading with a new transaction/duplicate once cleared. "

Let me refresh my comments from that post:

"Why can't we sort or search on ACTION ???????????????"

"Why can't we add TYPEs ???????????"

"Why can't we have a script to change an "Action" to Payment/deposit?"

Coach responded with: "As far as searching the Investment Transaction register using the 'Action' column, I'm able to do this on the Web App. I'm also able to sort the register by the 'Action' column, which is the "Type".'

To which, I responded with: "True. I can sort under the Action header as well. The problems that arise are under the Description / Category I get a Hodge-podge of dividends, buys, sells, dividends, and CD transactions, etc. So you must use the Search feature to categorize them. But, the transaction dates are nowhere near in date order."

"Frustration rules at the moment. I'm at a loss as to why we can't add Type categories like we can in Categories. None of my current category selections work since the switch from TDA to SHB. And, we can't search under the ACTION tab. Sort, yes, but search, no.

Unfortunately, Schwab isn't going to change to the way TDA reported, but it would sure be nice if a paid service could give us these options."

The ACTION header seems to be a sacred cow. Why can't it be sorted or filtered? We don't need work-arounds. We need the programmers to help us out.

Thank you…

ps… Any chance of facilitating our ability to download Investments in CSV file format?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24

@Coach Jon - check out prior posts for more color

Investments stillllll need to be changed to payments — Simplifi (simplifimoney.com)

Investing ACTION column and TYPEs — Simplifi (simplifimoney.com)

Also, the duplicate transactions have not impacted balances in Simplifi for me.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon

Thanks @UrsulaA,

I received your DM. When you are able to get new examples to provide for steps 2 - 5 you can go ahead and send them over. Until then we won't be able to escalate without examples and logs that contain those examples.

-Coach Jon

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Coach Jon - I do not have a lot of investment transactions and will check if duplicates show up once I do not mess with the action. @neon45 or @SRC54 can provide duplicate examples. Are the examples provided by @neon45 not sufficient to escalate provided in the comment above

Investment Transaction Duplications (edited) — Simplifi (simplifimoney.com)?

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon

Hello @UrsulaA,

Thanks for the follow-up and letting us know. As for the others in this thread, we can also escalate based on the information they provide, but they will need to provide all the information requested in my previous reply as well.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭
    edited September 25

Hi Coach Jon…

I'm flabbergasted as to why it's up to us to provide examples of errors caused by us working around problems created by Simplifi.

What is so hard about the following??

"Why can't we sort or search on ACTION? [removed]

"Why can't we add TYPEs? [removed]

"Why can't we have a script to change an "Action" to Payment/deposit?"

If programmers have time to link Zillow it can't be that hard to fix a sort and filter. Please, tell us what is so hard about creating a CSV download path for our investment data and sorting Actions.

Thank you…

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I know there is a dividend coming up for one of the securities I hold. For me, the duplication happens when I switch the action/type of the Income Dividend to Payment/Deposit. I will perform the switch on the future transaction and then submit it as an example.

Minter 2014-2023

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭
    • The Date, Payee, and Amount (or Date, Security, and Amount if it's an investing action transaction) of a few example transactions that are currently duplicated in Quicken Simplifi.
    • A screenshot of the example transactions from the bank's website.
    • A screenshot of the corresponding register in Quicken Simplifi showing that the transactions are duplicated.
    • Confirm whether the duplicate transactions are impacting the balance in Quicken Simplifi or not.

I need to remind the fine folks in the back room that we are not forensic accountants. I'm also not really willing to post my finances and holdings on a public forum.

So with that in mind I have included 2 representative stocks. I left the amounts out. They ones linked with red are the same amounts. The ones highlighted in yellow are the same amounts. You can tell that I have changed the Actions, using the Transaction Detail page, and yet I still have the duplicates.

I have no idea if the total will change because I can't search / sort on income / dividend entries. I will tell you though, that if I change the Income Dividend to a Payment and run a category total, I will have that much extra in the results.

You'll have to trust me, the entries are duplicated in my brokerage web site. These companies only pay dividends once a month, or quarter.

Please, remind me again, why we can not sort on Actions? Just downloading the Investments via a CSV process would even work.

Thanks!!

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

@RockLee

Per your note below, could you submit information as requested by @Coach Jon to help the escalation for a ticket. I do not have a lot of investment transactions, fortunately, so maybe you can identify duplicates and send to @Coach Jon via DM.

Your Note:

Time Weighted Return + Cash Flow Transactions — Simplifi (simplifimoney.com)

Coach Jon's request for info

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon

Hello @neon45,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, we won't be able to escalate until all the information that we requested is provided. As for your request to sort by Action and other mentioned requests/feedback in this thread, remember that we have provided this information before for you:

If you have a suggestion outside of the existing requests, you are welcome to create a new request as well.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭

Hi Coach…

Thanks for the roadblocks Coach. I guess we will just continue to muddle along.

RE: "If you have a suggestion outside of the existing requests, you are welcome to create a new request as well. "

That has been done, last year. And, as of today there are 34 votes that have been entered since the Investment CSV export request was posted last November.

Any updates on the 10 month old vote?

Thank you…

• Coach Jon
    edited September 26

Hello @neon45,

I am sorry you feel this way, however, we do need all the required information in order to escalate an issue. As for the idea post, remember that it can take time for an idea to be gauged for interest/compatibility and implemented.

Thanks for your patience,

Coach Jon

• RockLee
    RockLee Member ✭✭✭✭

I will, It'll be a few days before the dividend transactions come in and I can demonstrate the issue.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30

Here is how a duplicate dividend got downloaded from Schwab

1. Income dividend for Keating Active ETF got downloaded today for 140.92
    2. Changed the type from Income Dividend to Payment Deposit earlier today
    3. Logged in to Simplifi today and the dividend for $140.92 got downloaded again from Schwab

Simplifi

Schwab only shows one dividend transaction

Is the information above enough to escalate? I left the duplicate in Simplifi.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Also, the duplicate transactions do not affect the balance in Simplifi for the IRA account

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon

Hello @UrsulaA,

Thanks for the information! That should be enough to escalate this issue for sure. To clarify, are you still on Version 4.26.0 of Quicken Simplifi, or have you updated to the newest version? Can you also send new logs as well, if you please?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I updated to 4.27.0 and will send feedback logs. I will also keep the duplicate dividend in the system.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Updated logs are sent

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon

Hello @UrsulaA,

Thank you for the information and help with this issue. We have submitted this bug and we will be sure to post back here when we have more information going forward.

In the meantime, if you can provide more examples of duplicated transactions when you have them available, please send them over! This will help us greatly!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

SIMPL-23341